PDA

View Full Version : Trout lakes

Deep
03-17-2016, 01:34 PM
Looking for winter kill info.- has anyone seen many dead trout. The winter conditions did not appear to be very detrimental, as opposed to a lot of heavy snow and brutal cold. The aeration or lack of due to "safety concerns" is likely significant to many lakes also. Thanks.

Sumara
03-17-2016, 02:03 PM
Millers winter killed.

Deep
03-17-2016, 02:08 PM
I have heard about Millers..was told Muir likely gone too.

tallieho
03-17-2016, 02:13 PM
go to flyfishing brd.ao.millers lake 8th or 9th post details some info. there

johnny2
03-21-2016, 12:18 AM
Deep I've heard a lot of doom to trout talk for this winter also, unsure why? Seemed like an ideal winter for lack of kill. Checked the ACA site, and they are saying partial to full kills on many stocked lakes. Due to the Killer Aerators-Manslaughter law? Time for our Govt. to change something! Millions of $ spent in growing, planting, policing lakes with fish , that will end up getting a 6-8 month lifespan. All because some Idiot might fall into a hole in the ice, the width of a city bus. Aeration is the only way to achieve sizable fish in many lakes. Think of the effort, time & money to make Muir a trophy like lake,only to have a Winterkill obliterate many years of hard work. My 2 cents... Johnny

waterninja
03-21-2016, 10:33 AM
I have heard about Millers..was told Muir likely gone too.
Sorry to hear about Miller. I really liked that lake though it was real getting crowded.
Not sure about Muir. I don't think Ice fishing is allowed so how would one know if it winterkilled? I know Muir was one of the lakes that was supposed to have a deep water areator installed. Didn't they also stock Muir with Tiger Trout?

Vigsy
03-21-2016, 10:37 AM
Sorry to hear about Miller. I really liked that lake though it was real getting crowded.
Not sure about Muir. I don't think Ice fishing is allowed so how would one know if it winterkilled? I know Muir was one of the lakes that was supposed to have a deep water areator installed. Didn't they also stock Muir with Tiger Trout?

no they didn't stock it with tigers. ice fishing isn't allowed. go read this page.

http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/index.cfm/programs/fisheries/201516-aca-aeration-update/

waterninja
03-21-2016, 11:58 AM
Thanks for posting that report. very interesting. It looks like most of the lakes that were areated in the past ended up being areated this winter anyways. Sounds like the Sub Surface approach did not work out well.

dbllung
03-21-2016, 12:11 PM
Dollar winter killed

Cameras down hole confirmed ...

Dead fish all over the bottom

cecil
03-21-2016, 11:24 PM
I hear that Beaver (Near Caroline), Ironside and Yellowhead Lakes are dead.

Deep
03-22-2016, 11:32 AM
Always a challenge to find a good trout spot- the aerator nonsense was very unfortunate. Yes Johnny2 we do spent a lot for some bad decisions regarding our trout fisheries.

CMichaud
03-22-2016, 04:02 PM
Ironic that Muir was supposed to be enhanced stock and, I thought, was supposed to be managed to be a trophy lake?

Where is the face palm emoticon