PDA

View Full Version : Cdn Firearms Safety Course Challenge Exam

dontgetoutenough
12-29-2003, 03:11 PM
Has anyone challenged the exam without taking the course? I currently have a a POL and need a PAL (in the mood to buy a new gun). At 38 y.o. I have been hunting since I got a 12 ga for my 12th birthday. But, as my username implies I am a casual hunter.

I bought the book and am reading thru it - doesn't seem too bad, but would you still recommend taking the course?

Thanks in advance for any information.

CFSC Chall
12-29-2003, 06:24 PM
If you feel Knowledgable enough to pass the test, I would challenge it, you take the same test and do the same practicle as the guy who sits through the whole course. Even though I was a small arms instructor in the forces they were going to make me take the course because my FAC had expired. I challenged it, got one wrong (410 is a calibre not a guage). Study the book you will do just fine.

PAL
12-29-2003, 09:43 PM
Unless you feel like taking the course, and want to blow a perfectly good weekend in a classroom, just challenge the test after you read the manual. Most instructors in Alberta are not exactly looking to fail anyone... . It is a ridiculously easy test anyways.

re: test c
12-30-2003, 06:21 AM
I agree.... by all means challenge it unless you have a weekend that you want to spend on it. Buy the manual ($15.00) and study it, spending extra time on the safety issues and the safe storage requirements / law. The test is 50 multiple choice / true - false questions, plus a practical exam. Both written and practical are easy if you've spent any time around firearms and gone over the safety manual a few times. I was finished it all in about 45 minutes.

Scott

dontgetoutenough
12-30-2003, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the info - you confirmed what I was hoping to be the case. I will give it a shot.

Tucumseh
12-30-2003, 11:36 PM
Yes challenge it. I did and passed with flying colors...all red... (kidding) I bought the book and read it over once. The instructor also let me borrow a video , so I watched that too.
If you been hunting that long, you shouldn't have a problem.
Good Luck!
Tuc