PDA

View Full Version : Help needed---Calgary guy looking for fishing near Edmonton

nicemustang
02-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Hey guys, don't normally do this but I have a good handle of the southern lake around Calgary...one of my fishing buddies took a job in Edmonton so we'd like to fish around Edmonton some weekends as well. The problem is that we know nothing around the area expect for places like Calling, Pigeon, South Buck, Lac La Biche, etc. Those are all huge lakes, so we don't really know what we are doing.

If anyone wants to share some info on where to start, you can do so by PM if you don't want to post here. I promise to keep the info personal.

We hear Calling is good but probably not worth it this time of year because of the access on the lake is near impossible, so we'll try that in the summer. Lac la Biche is maybe too far, so maybe not that so much. I here lots of good things about Pigeon, except you can't keep nothing out of it this time of year and I don't know about the pike fishing there and we're not too keen on it coming from Sask. It's a big lake too and I'm sure only some of you know where the good spots are, and not willing to share (I don't blame you).

We're thinking of trying South Buck Lake...anyone go there? How has the fishing been and where do we get on the lake? We'd like to target Walleye so I hope that narrows it down.

Also open to other places too if it's within 1.5 hours and has decent fishing for Walleye, trout or perch. Thanks to everyone in advance for sharing and remember not looking for exact locations, just general areas. We have lots of fishing experience but it's nice to have a starting point on these big lakes.

Thanks.

nicemustang
02-24-2009, 08:31 AM
Nobody? It's kind of sad that when someone is actually using the board to find out information, he doesn't get any...but the minute he does something wrong....

I like to think that I've helped out a lot of people with information and tips with good positive input and was hoping that someone would do the same. If you don't want to post for everyone to see, at least send a PM. Thank you.

grice
02-24-2009, 09:16 AM
I am no help i don't fish up that way. but would give it a try if i knew where to go as well. If i hear of anything i will keep you posted.
cheers.

gpguy7
02-24-2009, 03:33 PM
how close to edmonton are you looking? Near Drayton Valley is buck lake, although I havent fished it in the winter but I did have quite a bit of success in the summer. Let me know how close you're looking and I'll try to help you out as much as I can.

Rumtan
02-24-2009, 03:37 PM
I know some good trout spots....but your mainly after pike and eyes.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Hey guys, don't normally do this but I have a good handle of the southern lake around Calgary...one of my fishing buddies took a job in Edmonton so we'd like to fish around Edmonton some weekends as well. The problem is that we know nothing around the area expect for places like Calling, Pigeon, South Buck, Lac La Biche, etc. Those are all huge lakes, so we don't really know what we are doing.

Thanks.
If your going as far north as Calling try out Slave lake , Wabbamun , Cold lake is a good spot for Lakers , Lake athabasca , Moose lake for Walleye , theres plenty of deasent fish within 3 or 4 hours of the city .

whitewolf
02-24-2009, 04:21 PM
wish i could help ya....i know you have helped me but i have never fished up there

bunnyhunter
02-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Isle lake has decent Pike...heard the walleyes are making a comeback...its about an hour NW of edmonton.

Wabumuns good if you dont mind all C&R. big pike.

good luck out there

nicemustang
02-24-2009, 10:47 PM
I know some good trout spots....but your mainly after pike and eyes.

Good trout spots are good too, just not the 11-12" clones that you catch from dickson or chain lakes, that loses it luster pretty fast.

Thanks for all the suggestions...not sure what to do. Only thing to is try. We're thinking Pigeon to see what we can do there...wish we had tags :(

We'd like to stay 1.5 hours within the city limits (NE end) as I will have to drive to edmonton too with all the gear. South end is better cause we can meet half way.

nicemustang
02-24-2009, 10:49 PM
how close to edmonton are you looking? Near Drayton Valley is buck lake, although I havent fished it in the winter but I did have quite a bit of success in the summer. Let me know how close you're looking and I'll try to help you out as much as I can.

I'd love to try this lake...hear mixed things though. Good and bad, more good in the summer. So if anyone has reports from Buck and where abouts to start...that would be good. We'd rather try Pigeon and at least catch fish than driving somewhere further and get skunked.

nicemustang
02-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Likely going to try Pigeon then, near the PP. Anyone on here going to be there? We will be there early, like 7, and will be in a black chev extended cab, 4 man ice cube.

ESOXangler
02-25-2009, 10:24 PM
buck lake is a waste of time, pale wallys when you do catch them
hit wabby for big jacks if you are looking for something close or gull