PDA

View Full Version : Sea-Can Pricing - Rent vs Buy ??

reddeerguy2015
03-20-2016, 10:04 PM
We are building a house in the next month or so, hopefully break ground the end of May or so. Problem is we have to be out of our current place July 1. This leaves about 3 or 4 months where we have to put our belongings into storage.

Since it's an acreage build, I was thinking of just moving a sea-can onto location and loading it up.

What's the going rate to rent one of these things ?? Probably would need a 40' ???? Worth buying??

In the Red Deer area.

Thanks

Flanny
03-20-2016, 10:08 PM
Sea Cans are so useful as waterproof storage that it makes more sense to buy one. Plus they're lockable.

I'm sure that you can find a good deal on a sea can used or as new.

If you didn't have a place to put one (but you said you were building on an acreage) it would make sense to rent one.

Flanny

Red Bullets
03-20-2016, 10:21 PM
A seacan is great to have.

If no one is going to be living onsite where the seacan is parked I would have a little concern of content theft with all the rural break ins. Unless you parked it in a way the doors couldn't be opened.

I have a friend that lives in a 40' seacan so a seacan can have many uses after the house is built. A mancave. Cut a couple south facing windows in it and have a long shop.

Worth the investment. You can always sell it again.

NCC
03-20-2016, 10:31 PM
~$3700 delivered for a good 40' seacan.

reddeerguy2015
03-20-2016, 11:45 PM
Any ideas on rental rates ??

SamSteele
03-21-2016, 05:45 AM
Kijiji had 40' sea cans for 2750 plus delivery out of Edmonton. Considering one myself for the same purpose.

SS

LKILR
03-21-2016, 06:28 AM
Your way better off buying. When your finished with it just sell it. They don't depreciation like a vehicle. Should get your money back.

Zip
03-21-2016, 08:56 AM
I am going to be needing at least 1 20ft container in our yard here at home so I can start to load that puppy up and move. Hard to find a good 20ft sea can in the Peace River area. I'm thinking a 40 foot one is going to be way to big, it's harder to move and cost more to move..I'm going to fill a 20 footer then sell the rest of stuff that doesn't fit...I Hope!
Zip:):)

NCC
03-21-2016, 11:34 AM
When we moved we bought a 48' van instead of a seacan as it was easier and cheaper to move. It was more difficult to load though as you have to build a ramp or stairs. Vans are cheaper but harder to resale also.

Zip
03-21-2016, 12:37 PM
When we moved we bought a 48' van instead of a seacan as it was easier and cheaper to move. It was more difficult to load though as you have to build a ramp or stairs. Vans are cheaper but harder to resale also.

Yes...very true,sometimes you need options so you can pick the lesser of two evils.
Zip:)

bat119
03-21-2016, 12:57 PM
Install another door what ever I need is always at the wrong end

reddeerguy2015
03-21-2016, 01:07 PM
Install another door what ever I need is always at the wrong end

That seems like life in general sometimes haha

257wbyhunter
03-21-2016, 02:45 PM
I bought a 40' high cube last year I looked into renting one and it was 1000 for delivery and pickup only based on where I lived so in the end I got a used one for 3200

SBE2
03-21-2016, 03:11 PM
I bought a 40' high cube last year I looked into renting one and it was 1000 for delivery and pickup only based on where I lived so in the end I got a used one for 3200

Who did you buy from? That's a decent price.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
03-21-2016, 08:46 PM
Don't know if this happens a lot but just a warning. Old boss had all his tools. lathes.etc stored in a seacan. They rusted. FRiends daughter and family stored most of their posessions in a secan while waiting for ahome to rent-buy. when the moved all their stuff was heavily moulded. Guess ventilation might be a concern under the right conditions.

reddeerguy2015
03-21-2016, 09:06 PM
Don't know if this happens a lot but just a warning. Old boss had all his tools. lathes.etc stored in a seacan. They rusted. FRiends daughter and family stored most of their posessions in a secan while waiting for ahome to rent-buy. when the moved all their stuff was heavily moulded. Guess ventilation might be a concern under the right conditions.

Oh wow - something to consider for sure. They are suppose to be water tight, maybe something was put in damp and the moisture had nowhere to go ?? Makes a guy worry a bit about electronics and the sort as well. Everything of ours would have to go in.

Hmm

Homesteader
03-21-2016, 09:32 PM
The moisture is coming from frost that melts off in the sunshine. There is enough info on the net about this. Most recommend spray foam on the ceiling. Keeps the frost from raining down on all your goodies.

avb3
03-21-2016, 09:54 PM
Oh wow - something to consider for sure. They are suppose to be water tight, maybe something was put in damp and the moisture had nowhere to go ?? Makes a guy worry a bit about electronics and the sort as well. Everything of ours would have to go in.

Hmm

They all have vent holes in the top corners, however, condensation can build up. Install a roof wind turbine used for attics if you don't have power nearby, or a small fan. They don't need much circulation, but they do need some.

I've had three for storage, and never had a problem.

300magman
03-21-2016, 11:25 PM
Just saw this on the buy and sell......might be something to look into for you.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=283775

pyk
03-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Ventilation is a must. A rooftop wind turbine will eliminate the condensation. A walk in door cut into the side will make the can a lot more user friendly.