PDA

View Full Version : Tracks for a Side by Side

backcountry cowboy
03-21-2016, 10:30 AM
So I'm thinking about getting tracks for my side by side and I'm just wondering if there's anything I should know before getting them, and any suggestions?

J0HN_R1
03-21-2016, 11:01 AM
They cut the top speed almost in half...

They're noisy, and reduce ride comfort (harsh/stiff ride)...

But they'll take you just about anywhere !

clouserminnow
03-21-2016, 11:11 AM
They have way more pros than cons. If you want to be the fastest on the trail you won't be but you will drive by the guys stuck in the mudholes. Doubles the clearance and leaves a light foot print. Have had them for 4 years and minor issues. One thing is deadfall can get hung up on the back tracks but I carry a wedges for that purpose and no problems now. Havent been stuck to where I had to use the winch in the winter. You need a pile more room to turn around because the utv is 12 feet long. Power steering is nice as they do not turn that great unless you are moving.

Dona
03-21-2016, 11:24 AM
Tracks have allowed me in the Winter to go to places that otherwise I could not access. I have Camoplast 4S Tracks and have had no Problems. Both my Polaris Dealers who supplied the Tracks said not to use them when there was no snow. I use John Deere Gators in th summer.

backcountry cowboy
03-21-2016, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the info

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
03-21-2016, 04:57 PM
I've heard they are extremely hard on your drive train, I don't know from experience it's just what I've heard.

Kale 19
03-21-2016, 08:58 PM
They can be maintenance monsters and put a lot of wear and tear on the machine but they will take you almost anywhere in the snow. Just not quickly in the deep stuff. Run them now for 3 years and have mixed feelings. Loud, rough, cuts top end in half, can be hard on belts, not fun where there is lots of deadfall to cross, kick up a lot of snow and plug up intakes, but they will get you where your headed. Despite having all season tracks I've never run them outside of winter months. Wouldn't want to. Usually pretty happy to get the tires back on. My suggestions if you do decide to run tracks, make sure your machine has enough power to make use of them properly, purchase the camoplast brand, do not let Polaris or other manufacturer try to sell you on their brand, upgrade clutch kit, carry extra belts and tie rod ends, keep the grease handy and install frog skins on clutch and engine air intakes.
Like anything, if you don't abuse them and maintain them you should be fine but if you plan on mud bogging and rough miles on them, they will break and so will components on your machine. They are a lot of extra moving parts that take on a lot of torque but they do their job well when care is taken.
Hope this helps.

Newview01
03-21-2016, 09:13 PM
So I'm thinking about getting tracks for my side by side and I'm just wondering if there's anything I should know before getting them, and any suggestions?

I have a set for sale PM if interested.

DLMfab
03-24-2016, 09:51 PM
i have a set, what machine do you have??? i have a 4 seater RZR... tracks are awesome no complaints! you just have to know how to use them to your advantage!!!.. I've got the 4 season ones.....have them for sale, but not because i don't like em because of oil........

backcountry cowboy
03-24-2016, 11:44 PM
I've got a diesel gator,
So I've got the torque to use them, but I've decided not to get tracks now...... just don't go enough places I think they'd be practical
But thanks for all the information