PDA

View Full Version : Iceland

NewAlbertan
03-21-2016, 05:03 PM
Have an opportunity to visit Iceland, late August thru September.
Anyone been?
Seems there is some hunting - ptarmigan sounds like fun. Puffins too
Anyone hunted there?
Love to here any comments/info/suggestions

dodger
03-21-2016, 05:35 PM
Go fishing!!! People look at me kind of funny when I mention Iceland as my dream vacation.

Dodger.

Blastoff
03-21-2016, 06:13 PM
That's the time to go there, some day I want to make it there. 57charlie has been there, mayBe he can fill you in

pitw
03-21-2016, 06:44 PM
Take an icelander hunting here and then you can see the country the right way.

hal53
03-21-2016, 06:49 PM
Don't forget after you shoot and clean the ptarmigan, you'll need a big pot to cook them in and stir constantly....but then, you already knew that..

NewAlbertan
03-21-2016, 06:52 PM
Don't forget after you shoot and clean the ptarmigan, you'll need a big pot to cook them in and stir constantly....but then, you already knew that..

Didn't know that.

Been there before?
Any other advice?

Thanks!

trevoroni
03-21-2016, 07:46 PM
The wife and I went there for 2 weeks a couple of years ago.
It was a great trip. Pretty sure I started a thread here asking for advice back then...
Yep here it is http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=126731&highlight=iceland

We spent the majority of the time camping in our tent in the Westfjords and it was awesome.
Pack good rain and wind gear!

purgatory.sv
03-21-2016, 07:56 PM
I have a huge wish list, and Iceland is on it.

I will always keep it at the top.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Iceland

antler1
03-22-2016, 03:35 PM
I am travelling to Iceland in July. We are renting a little car and doing a circle trip around the island staying at B+Bs. We were advised that all fishing in streams and rivers is considered to be on private land and permits must be obtained. We will then head to Greenland and go on a bowhunting trip for muskox. While we are there we will be able to fly fish for artic char. A trip of a lifetime.

Hawkeye
03-22-2016, 03:46 PM
The wife and I were there for a short vacation (four days/three nights) about 3 weeks ago. Not much industry, but folks are very friendly and they certainly treat tourists well, as that is a big source of income. We took Icelandair from Edmonton (got a great price on a package deal). In the winter, things are quite bleak (snow, open landscape with mostly scrub brush, not many farm houses), but I would guess summer would be nicer. I would sure consider going back in summer and I would be willing to rent a car and drive myself. Food is quite expensive (roughly five Canadian dollars for a coffee and fifteen for a simple lunch).
Only about 330 thousand people in whole country of which roughly 200 thousand are in the greater Reykjavik area.

I can't comment on hunting, but the PENIS MUSEUM was fairly entertaining…..if you don't believe me, look for yourself
http://www.phallus.is/en/

Enjoy!
Hawkeye

NewAlbertan
03-22-2016, 03:48 PM
The wife and I went there for 2 weeks a couple of years ago.
It was a great trip. Pretty sure I started a thread here asking for advice back then...
Yep here it is http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=126731&highlight=iceland

We spent the majority of the time camping in our tent in the Westfjords and it was awesome.
Pack good rain and wind gear!

Thanks!!

NewAlbertan
03-22-2016, 03:51 PM
I can't comment on hunting, but the PENIS MUSEUM was fairly entertaining…..if you don't believe me, look for yourself
http://www.phallus.is/en/

Enjoy!
Hawkeye

Ok. I was trying to keep it on the down low, but it's true. I am traveling there to be honored by the museum....

:sHa_shakeshout:

Lol. Does look like worth a visit tho!

Albertacoyotecaller
03-22-2016, 04:23 PM
Always wanted to go to Iceland. Maybe some day.

GasGas
03-22-2016, 04:29 PM
My wife and I car camped around Iceland a few years ago. Went late fall. Ran into some serious snow in the higher passes. Our rental hadn't had it's tires switched yet..I had to use a camping pot lid to dig our way out once..

Absolutely stunning country. Fantastic vistas and scenery. Fantastic people.
Like others have mentioned, be prepared for very wet weather. Nights can be very cold.
We saw very little in the way of hunting..but then that wasn't a focus for that trip. IF you find some geese, you'll likely find some farmers nearby that would love a meat donation. In the fall they are very busy moving sheep down close to barns and don't have time to hunt..but most would appreciate the food.

If you go inland toward glacier areas, be wise and purchase a car insurance that includes sand storm damage. The winds can whip up the pumice grits and gravels and it will literally strip the paint and score the windows. Don't even think about driving while a sand storm is happening. Wait it out.

The penis museum IS interesting!

We've been a lot of places and Iceland is one I'd go back to in a heart beat. The scenery and history just can't be beat. Don't be afraid to take 'back roads' too..

Tcon
03-23-2016, 03:01 PM
I spent almost two weeks in Iceland in July 2014. It was one of my most memorable trips. I went there for photography (the 24hr daylight was convenient for that) and I was amazed with the diversity, especially for its size.

We rented a camper van and circumnavigated the island stopping wherever we wanted for as long as we wanted. Just a heads up fuel at the time was $2.43/litre and food was expensive even though we were cooking for ourselves, I remember seeing a dragonfruit for $20 in the grocery store.

If you want to see the interior I recommend the Laugavegur hike, which takes you from Landmannalaugar to Skogafoss. Landmannalaugar is accessible by excursion bus which is relatively inexpensive and less risky than self travel (there are river crossings).

I found fishing overly expensive, it would have been nice but I'd rather spend the money chasing steelhead or fishing the flats. That is solely personal preference though.

Feel free to PM with any iceland questions.