PDA

View Full Version : Sushi!

The Fisherman Guy
02-23-2009, 10:09 PM
I love fishing, but there are only a few ways that I prefer to eat fish. Call me crazy, but I am not too keen on many fish dishes, which makes keeps me primarily a catch and release fisherman. Sushi is certainly by far my favorite way to enjoy fresh fish, followed by fish cooked on a cedar plank, and then smoked fish as a third preference.

Discussing sushi with friends, I have found that there are many who dislike the idea of consuming fish raw, while others adore it.

Two questions that frequently come up are: Can freshwater fish be consumed raw? and What makes sushi grade fish?

I found this article:

http://www.sushifaq.com/ffaq.htm#Fresh%20Water%20Fish

I know this cannot be taken as gospel, but I have been sick from parasites (not from sushi) picked up from traveling abroad, and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. I hope that this will open people up to the idea of enjoying sushi, and provide some more information on what is safe to eat, and what is not.

One more tidbit; I have never once been sick to my stomach from eating sushi, and I have eaten at over half of the sushi restaurants in Calgary, and many more across North America.

Enjoy, dont forget the sake!

Big.Bear
02-23-2009, 10:12 PM
I to LOVE sushi, by far one of my favorite foods.

Tofinofish
02-23-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm with you guys....

We are fortunate to have good Sushi grade Salmon and other Sal****er species. Aside from the Shellfish (Scallops and Prawns are a favorite raw)
I freeze all fish prior to consuming in Sushi.
I've had some great Sushi in Calgary as well...
Saki and Wasabi are a must, just like a good strong Red Wine with an Elk Sirloin Tip.

sniper_700ti_mckaylake_gu
02-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Freeze it for 48 hours and you will be fine.

By the way you can't spell t*w*a*t on here. as in salt*w*a*ter

The Fisherman Guy
02-23-2009, 10:48 PM
I still believe that Crazy Ron's sushi at the Tuff City Inn is the best sushi I have had, ever. Although they took my favorite roll off the menu.

x2 on the scallops, UNREAL raw!

Redfrog
02-24-2009, 12:11 AM
I love sushi.
In beer batter and deep fried.:D

Tofinofish
02-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Fisherman Guy,

-Glad to hear you have had the great Sushi @ Crazy Ron's in Tofino, and I'm sure if Ron was around, you had some of his personal "entertainment" as well.

Always a memorable experience......

tbosch
02-24-2009, 10:05 AM
I saw Mark Krupa eat raw pike out of a lake in the North West Territiories once. I have meant to try that but haven't had the chance yet. I think I'll wait until I get back up to northern saskatchewan this summer. I dont know if pine lake sushi would be as good.

blackpheasant
02-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Fisherman Guy,

-Glad to hear you have had the great Sushi @ Crazy Ron's in Tofino, and I'm sure if Ron was around, you had some of his personal "entertainment" as well.

Always a memorable experience......

Yup, best Sushi I think I've ever had was There at Crazy Ron's, and yes that Old Coyote is Crazy, can't wait to make er back for more......:D

TexasTornado
02-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Sushi is my favorite food as well, Sushi Ginza (Willow Park) in Calgary is my favorite

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-24-2009, 02:14 PM
I thought this would be Perfect for this Thread .

Anyone for a little soy sause with your Sushi .

For a fat guy I like it , I have tryed a few but I like two particular kinds just not sure what there called , But I figure If I could smugle a hunk of steak and potato and brocoli into a chunk of sushi that would be a good time , simply dip in Sour cream .:lol::lol:

Anyway heres the pictures .

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/Nimosushi.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/Nimosushi2.jpg

Buck Krazy
02-24-2009, 02:27 PM
I eat walleye cheeks raw from travers in the winter!! MMMM

Albertadiver
02-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Bear Grylls will eat anything raw... and he turned out ok! :sick:

I love sushi, if it's done right.

Badback
02-24-2009, 04:47 PM
My boys got me to try sushi and I can live without it....I hear that it makes good bait though....Thanks for the pics BBJ...they are going around my office at the moment...lol

Sundancefisher
02-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Sushi...can not resist....sushi...

I have some sockeye I need to eat soon.

I would not eat freshwater fish caught in Alberta. There are parasite problems more so in freshwater than salt water. Also bacteria seem more of a problem in fresh water.

That all being said...sleazy sushi places sometimes pawn tilapia off as some types of sushi...and they get away with it.

Mish
02-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Bear Grylls is a proven fake...I wouldn't believe anything he says :)

That being said, if you think about it, food was meant to be eaten raw. Cooking takes out a lot of the nutritional value. I've eaten raw fish, raw deer meat, and raw beef. I've seen people eat raw chicken and raw pork. And to be honest, given the choice, I'd much rather have raw fish or raw deer meat than cooked.

redneck posse
02-24-2009, 06:00 PM
sushi was invented because someone was to lazy to cook his fish..that being said i've eaten raw rainbow and brook trout out of mountain streams.

slingshotz
02-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Any freshwater fish can be eaten raw as there's no poisonous ones unlike saltwáter fish. How tasty they are really depends on the water they come out of and the type of fish. Just like most fish tastes best in the winter/spring cooked, they do so raw as well at that time. In Scandanivia they prepare whitefish just like gravlax (cured salmon) with dill, salt and sugar (sometimes vodka as well) cured overnight, it is very delicate tasting and not as strong as salmon but beautiful to the taste buds. Technically it is not sashami as it is cured with sugar and salt.

However in my opinion, most freshwater fish do not taste nearly as good as saltwáter fish in a pure sashami preparation. Trout being a notable exception as they are from the same family as salmon.

Fish Cannon
02-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Love sushi! Sal****er fish such as Tuna is my favorite, salmon is right up there too. Love that soy sauce too!

hockeyfish
02-24-2009, 11:59 PM
I saw Mark Krupa eat raw pike out of a lake in the North West Territiories once. I have meant to try that but haven't had the chance yet. I think I'll wait until I get back up to northern saskatchewan this summer. I dont know if pine lake sushi would be as good.

i saw that episode too,
pike sashimi

steeled13
02-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Oysters right outta the river, back home.. best "sushi" has to be bluefin tuna!!! caught it lots never tried it though

Big Red 250
02-26-2009, 08:04 AM
I tried some when the wife and I were in Vancouver last month. I can honestly say I won't be doing that again.

goober
02-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Best I had was Ahi Tuna about 5 minutes after it had been caught. First fish in the boat and the captain had it cleaned and cut up in to slices for us with a little lemon or lime juice. I think this is called sashimi when done like that but I am not sure. Whatever it is called sure was delish!!!:love::love::love:

jjstar
02-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Fresh caught halibut is amazing as sashimi. Used to eat it when we commercial fished them off the west coast. yum !!

hockeyfish
02-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Best I had was Ahi Tuna about 5 minutes after it had been caught. First fish in the boat and the captain had it cleaned and cut up in to slices for us with a little lemon or lime juice. I think this is called sashimi when done like that but I am not sure. Whatever it is called sure was delish!!!:love::love::love:

ya, its sashimi if there is no rice, and sushi if it comes with rice

catnthehat
02-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Bear Grylls is a proven fake...I wouldn't believe anything he says :)

That being said, if you think about it, food was meant to be eaten raw. Cooking takes out a lot of the nutritional value. I've eaten raw fish, raw deer meat, and raw beef. I've seen people eat raw chicken and raw pork. And to be honest, given the choice, I'd much rather have raw fish or raw deer meat than cooked.

X2!!:cool:
lemme see, whale, deer, caribou, char are my favorites.
Cat

The Fisherman Guy
02-27-2009, 04:34 PM

Actually fish prepared with fresh squeezed lime juice is called Ceviche. (Say-vee-chay) It is Peru's national dish, and is enjoyed in different variations throughout Latin America and the Caribbean. The lime juice, actually from limes similar to key limes, actually "cooks" the fish slightly without heat. They cut the fish into cubes and squeeze the limes directly over the cubes of fish and let it sit and marinate for 10-15 minutes to "cook" it. When it is ready, the fish looks like it has been seared white on the areas in contact with the lime juice.
It is served in Peru with sliced raw red onion and raw corn kernals, atop a lettuce leaf and rock salt cracked over the dish. They usually have it as an afternoon snack, or hangover food. I have made it here, and found that girls really enjoy it!

whitewolf
02-27-2009, 06:03 PM
when we lived in florida we used to eat bull dolphin or mahi mahi as most call it right out of the ocean on the boat with a touch of lemon juice..thatis when its best

hockeyfish
02-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Actually fish prepared with fresh squeezed lime juice is called Ceviche. (Say-vee-chay) It is Peru's national dish, and is enjoyed in different variations throughout Latin America and the Caribbean. The lime juice, actually from limes similar to key limes, actually "cooks" the fish slightly without heat. They cut the fish into cubes and squeeze the limes directly over the cubes of fish and let it sit and marinate for 10-15 minutes to "cook" it. When it is ready, the fish looks like it has been seared white on the areas in contact with the lime juice.
It is served in Peru with sliced raw red onion and raw corn kernals, atop a lettuce leaf and rock salt cracked over the dish. They usually have it as an afternoon snack, or hangover food. I have made it here, and found that girls really enjoy it!

ya, i had that at the Salvadoran restaurant the other day

goober
02-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Actually fish prepared with fresh squeezed lime juice is called Ceviche. (Say-vee-chay)

Actually I believe Ceviche is pronounced De-lish-ous!!:lol::lol::lol:

sdimedru
03-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Sushi Lovers.... next time you're in Jasper give OKA SUSHI a try....

(located in the basement of the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge)

Reservations are a must, and it is by far the best I've ever had!!!

Beazer
03-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Sushi is made with vinagered rice while Sashimi is just raw fish.
Ceviche is usually raw fish or shellfish marinated in lemon/lime juice.

When I went to Rimrock in Banff last I had the best seafood dish ever.
It was basically Salmon finely chopped with just enough caviar and some wicked hawaiian rock salt. Served in a martini glass inside a bowl with a fighting fish swimming around the sides. Presentation was impeccable but it tasted soooooo much better.

If your going to eat raw fish(freshwater) but are hesitant; try the ceviche method. All you need is a knife and some lemons or juice. Just let the cut fish sit in the juice for a little while. The citirc acid in the fruit will technically cook the fish but it will not have the consistency of a heated dish.

ghostguy6
03-29-2010, 07:55 PM
I love sushi.
In beer batter and deep fried.:D

If you get a Kyoto Roll, they even add cheese:lol:

So good....
Man Im hungry now