PDA

View Full Version : Millwright Apprentice?

coveredindyes
03-22-2016, 09:16 AM
Hi guys, I just recently graduated a nine month entry course into the millwright trade and I'm dying here looking for someone to take me on as an apprentice.

Anyone of you fine folks have any ideas on who might be looking for an apprentice or just how I might get better luck?

Flanny
03-22-2016, 11:23 AM
If you can build a time machine, I'm sure you'll find somebody.

That, or wait a few years. Lots of already registered apprentices and journeyman out of a job and very few companies are willing to take on an unindentured guy right now.

That's a lie. I hear McDonalds is hiring.

Lot of my friends are looking for places to finish their ticket and a few have had to just take another job outside the trade and keep looking for millwright work to finish their hours.

Flanny

Flanny
03-22-2016, 11:25 AM
Welcome to the forum, by the way. Don't mean to rip on you or OUR trade.

Just the facts of life right now.

solocam3
03-22-2016, 01:51 PM
Start pounding the pavement, and get those resume's out there.

coveredindyes
03-22-2016, 09:41 PM
haha I appreciate the honesty! I've been looking all over and it's just poor timing I guess. I haven't lost faith yet though.. I'm sure there's a few spots in the "hidden job market" (ghost sounds).

Saul Goode
03-22-2016, 10:00 PM
Not sure where you live or if you would be looking to re-locate, but one place to look is the Lumber manufacturing plants ( Sawmills. ) they're about the few places around these parts that aren't effected by current economy.

coveredindyes
03-22-2016, 10:33 PM
Oh nice, thanks for the tip! I'm currently willing to travel anywhere in Canada to progress in the trade.

I'll have to make a few calls around to some of the bigger saw mills!

Saul Goode
03-22-2016, 11:55 PM
No prob. Just go to some of their websites, they usually have job postings.
West Fraser, Weyerhauser ( sp ? ) Canfor etc. Some of these places even pay for your schooling and pay you while you go to school.

Dog_River
03-23-2016, 04:32 AM
Try the mill in Casltegar and Grandforks , BC same company. Make sure you keep a list of where you apply so you can follow up later. If you don't follow up you don't seem very egar to work.

justsomeguy
03-23-2016, 05:21 AM
I'm currently willing to travel anywhere in Canada to progress in the trade.
!

This x 1000. Warms my heart to hear someone say they're willing to make sacrifices in order to make a better future for themselves and their family. So many folks expect the jobs to come to them and are not willing to move to provide for their family.

Note, this is a general statement, not aimed at those suffering in the current collapse in AB, many of them did exactly that, moved across the country looking for a better future.

58thecat
03-23-2016, 05:25 AM
haha I appreciate the honesty! I've been looking all over and it's just poor timing I guess. I haven't lost faith yet though.. I'm sure there's a few spots in the "hidden job market" (ghost sounds).

All,trades are a bit tuff right now but you need to flood the market with resumes, be ready to go to other provinces for work etc.

Good luck!

58thecat
03-23-2016, 05:27 AM
Oh nice, thanks for the tip! I'm currently willing to travel anywhere in Canada to progress in the trade.

I'll have to make a few calls around to some of the bigger saw mills!

Good on ya and give it two weeks after submitting a resume then follow up with a call to confirm they received it etc, sometimes a little chat opens doors!

Dog_River
03-23-2016, 08:29 AM
I don't know if they are hiring and it will be a union gig but the Bruce Nuclear plant in Ontario is doing a massive referb and will be needing Millwrights at some point. There are Union millwrights on this site and may chime in for more accurate info.

Try all the sawmills in BC. They seem to always be hiring.

coveredindyes
03-23-2016, 01:30 PM
You all are so helpful. I'll definitely check out all these opportunities.

I've been chatting with a few places and they seem to be fairly interested..

I'll keep you guys posted on everything. If I figure out a spot that is looking for more apprentices I'll post it in here too.

I'd love to be able to help anyone I can and I'm glad to have found this forum/community.

Cheers!

79ford
03-23-2016, 03:33 PM
Definitely hit up the forestry outfits, osb,lumber, pulp mills etc. The pay is decent and they really benefit from low oil and lousy dollar.... it is a whole shwack of money in their pockets, some money has been freed up big time after being squeezed by oil prices and high dollar for years.

Jeff336
03-23-2016, 05:42 PM
Good luck man, I was in the same boat about 2 years ago. Moved across the country for a career. Luckily Our industry is a little removed from oil and gas. Just keep the resumes going and be persistent. Show up in person If possible, I always had luck that way.

silver
03-24-2016, 08:37 AM
When I was in your position, about two weeks after I sent a resume I would phone the HR dept. I would say something like... I know I didn't get the job that was advertised but what was my resume missing. This would help me fill in the areas I was weak in and if the job wasn't filled, it would get me noticed. Without seeming to be too pushy.