PDA

View Full Version : This is What is Wrong With Society

elkhunter11
03-23-2016, 07:56 AM
Self entitlement at it's worst. The moron should be charged with assault for throwing hot coffee at the person filming her.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2594564/video-of-woman-throwing-coffee-at-man-over-handicapped-parking-spot-goes-viral/

Lefty-Canuck
03-23-2016, 08:07 AM
Saw that yesterday...disgusting behavior, ultimate show of "entitlement"

LC

whiteout
03-23-2016, 08:13 AM
And yet we don't know if it's an proper handicapped spot. The spot is not fully shown and there are very specific requirements that need to be met to designate a spot as handicapped.

There are lots of “handicapped” stalls around that don't meet the criteria. Not to mention all the “green, family, expecting mothers” spots which have no basis in actual law.

silverdoctor
03-23-2016, 08:28 AM
People have been parking in handicapp parking for years, it's a reality and unfortunately you're not going to stop it. Note on the window, quick talk - why the camera? More likely it's empty cups - had the cups been full of hot coffee, i'm sure there would have been some screaming.

Take a look at this story out of BC, this is part of what's wrong with our society today. People see a bandwagon and they want to jump on it...

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/2016/03/20/22615314.html

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
03-23-2016, 08:29 AM
I'm pretty sure that would be an assault charge on the girls behalf. Recording someone breaking the law is one thing but a vigilante confrontation is a whole other level of over stepping ones felt obligations. I have personally witnessed a person getting KO'd for doing so. It's not the right thing to do but I have no sympathy.

coppercarbide
03-23-2016, 08:38 AM
And yet we don't know if it's an proper handicapped spot. The spot is not fully shown and there are very specific requirements that need to be met to designate a spot as handicapped.

There are lots of “handicapped” stalls around that don't meet the criteria. Not to mention all the “green, family, expecting mothers” spots which have no basis in actual law.

Wow. Yes... you seem to certainly understand the entitlement shown in the video.

If a business decides to set aside a spot or two for expectant mothers, you are right it's not a 'legal' spot in the same way as a handicapped spot. However, worrying about the 'technicalities' is rather missing the point.

It's kinda like holding open the door for someone whose hands are full. Sure, you could be a DOUCHEBAG and point out that you don't have to legally hold the door... or you could be a decent human being.

Okotokian
03-23-2016, 08:41 AM
Saw that yesterday...disgusting behavior, ultimate show of "entitlement"

LC

True, woman should have just drove away. And yet I have no sympathy for self-appointed smug self-righteous vigilantes who run around videoing and posting things they don't like. I was walking my dog the other day off leash (oh the horror), with him heeling obediently right at my right leg, his leash in my hand, just refreshing his training. Some guy with no life went off on me, asked snottily if I thought I was better than everyone else. Really? Upsets you that much? Relax dude.

And as for the "This is what's wrong with society" part, not sure you mean people who don't respect handicapped parking, or people running around with cell phone cameras. LOL

elkhunter11
03-23-2016, 08:41 AM

When I see the blue square with the yellow wheelchair symbol, I have enough respect to park elsewhere. I don't look up the requirements for handicapped stalls to see if the stall meets every requirement.

I'm pretty sure that would be an assault charge on the girls behalf. Recording someone breaking the law is one thing but a vigilante confrontation is a whole other level of over stepping ones felt obligations. I have personally witnessed a person getting KO'd for doing so. It's not the right thing to do but I have no sympathy.

The person recording did nothing wrong, he recorded in a public place. If the self entitled moron parks elsewhere next time, to avoid future embarrassment, then a purpose was served.

True, woman should have just drove away.

She should have not parked in a handicapped parking stall.

And as for the "This is what's wrong with society" part, not sure you mean people who don't respect handicapped parking, or people running around with cell phone cameras. LOL

If you can't see that parking in a handicapped stall, and then committing assault by throwing your coffee, is the issue, then you are part of the problem.

gmcmax05
03-23-2016, 08:49 AM
When I see the blue square with the yellow wheelchair symbol, I have enough respect to park elsewhere. I don't look up the requirements for handicapped stalls to see if the stall meets every requirement.

The person recording did nothing wrong, he recorded in a public place. If the self entitled moron parks elsewhere next time, to avoid future embarrassment, then a purpose was served.

She should have not parked in a handicapped parking stall.

If you can't see that parking in a handicapped stall, and then committing assault by throwing your coffee, is the issue, then you are part of the problem.

This X 1000.

silverdoctor
03-23-2016, 08:51 AM
So elkhunter, no accountability for the guy with the camera? If you look at his facebook account, he's removed the video due to threats of violence against this woman.

Would she deserve a beating?

Ryan got his 2 minutes of fame...

Okotokian
03-23-2016, 08:53 AM

It's an issue. It's not the only one.

Lux604
03-23-2016, 08:54 AM
there is making a mistake due to not being able to see the ground (snow covered with no signs posted in front to state otherwise, and then there is just blatant disrespect... which is what this woman is a perfect example of.

While standing and videotaping might not have been the best way to handle the situation... with all of the public shaming, I highly doubt she will park in the reserved spots again without thinking twice! Plus it speaks wonder of her character with throwing the coffee!

gmcmax05
03-23-2016, 08:56 AM
It's an issue. It's not the only one.

No it's not, but maybe the bimbo will think twice about parking in a handi-cap spot again!

elkhunter11
03-23-2016, 09:05 AM
So elkhunter, no accountability for the guy with the camera? If you look at his facebook account, he's removed the video due to threats of violence against this woman.

Would she deserve a beating?

Ryan got his 2 minutes of fame...

Unlike the woman, the guy recording the video did nothing illegal, and is therefore not accountable for anything,

No she doesn't deserve a beating, but she does deserve a ticket and the public shaming that she received. As for the fame, I for one paid no attention to the person doing the recording, the self entitled woman was the one receiving two minutes of fame.

silverdoctor
03-23-2016, 09:06 AM
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that she holds sole blame.

She broke a law that deserves a fine.

Idiot puts her on record - she probably knows it's going online - put yourself in that position.

She clearly throws empty coffee cups at him, otherwise he would be screaming while covered in hot coffee. Someone sticks a camera in my face, it may result in more than coffee cups. Video taping in public is not illegal - you want to video me personally, you better ask first.

Idiot sticks the video on the internet causing outrage - knowing full well what it would cause.

Idiot has to take down said video due to threats against the woman. He actually stated that on his facebook.

Now I ask - if anyone had followed up on threats and given this woman a beating - do you think Mr. Favro would face any consequences? Should he face consequences? He made a situation worse, much worse with that damn camera.

ROA
03-23-2016, 09:12 AM
Yes this is what's wrong with society.
2 useless idiots fighting over a parking space.

elkhunter11
03-23-2016, 09:15 AM

Idiot puts her on record - she probably knows it's going online - put yourself in that position.

She clearly throws empty coffee cups at him, otherwise he would be screaming while covered in hot coffee. Someone sticks a camera in my face, it may result in more than coffee cups. Video taping in public is not illegal - you want to video me personally, you better ask first.

Idiot sticks the video on the internet causing outrage - knowing full well what it would cause.

Idiot has to take down said video due to threats against the woman. He actually stated that on his facebook.

Now I ask - if anyone had followed up on threats and given this woman a beating - do you think Mr. Favro would face any consequences? Should he face consequences? He made a situation worse, much worse with that damn camera.

I would not be in that position,because I don't park in handicapped stalls. As well, she just aggravated the situation by throwing the drinks. Had she just driven away, the situation would never have gotten to the point that it did. If you look closely at the video, you can clearly see that the cups were not empty. The lids stayed on, so the contents did not spray out, but you can see that at least the clear cup is pretty much full. She just came out of the store, and hasn't had time to drink both drinks, and given that there are two drinks, one is likely for someone else, so she isn't likely taking that person an empty cup.

He did nothing illegal, so no, he would face no consequences. As to making the situation worse, she could have simply driven away rather than throw the drinks, so she made it what it was.

silverdoctor
03-23-2016, 09:18 AM
He did nothing illegal, so no, he would face no consequences. As to making the situation worse, she could have simply driven away rather than throw the drinks, so she made it what it was.

So knowingly inciting violence should carry no consequence at all... And what's wrong with society again?

No accountability for your actions!

Clgy_Dave2.0
03-23-2016, 09:20 AM
Video taping in public is not illegal - you want to video me personally, you better ask first.

Why? :confused0024:

You're in a public place, with no expectation of privacy. Anyone can take photos or videos of anyone in a public place. If you don't want to be filmed doing something illegal, disrespectful or embarrassing, don't do something illegal, disrespectful or embarrassing in public.

silverdoctor
03-23-2016, 09:22 AM
Why? :confused0024:

You're in a public place, with no expectation of privacy. Anyone can take photos or videos of anyone in a public place. If you don't want to be filmed doing something illegal, disrespectful or embarrassing, don't do something illegal, disrespectful or embarrassing in public.

How many people are recorded, stuck online for the vigilante crowd, but yet were innocent of anything... We haven't seen that before have we Dave. People's lives have been ruined for no reason - other than someone's assumptions.

In this case she deserved a ticket, not threats of violence.

elkhunter11
03-23-2016, 09:24 AM
So knowingly inciting violence should carry no consequence at all... And what's wrong with society again?

No accountability for your actions!

He did not knowingly incite violence, he simply recorded someone parking in a handicapped stall and posted it to shame the person.l. If someone chose to respond with violence, then that was totally their decision not his. Blaming him for inciting violence would be like blaming a firearms manufacture because someone used their firearm to shoot someone. Yes they provided the firearm, but someone else chose to use it illegally.

antlercarver
03-23-2016, 09:25 AM
If someone does not stand up for what is right then it is the
same as they are condoning it.

silverdoctor
03-23-2016, 09:26 AM
He did not knowingly incite violence, he simply recorded someone parking in a handicapped stall and posted it to shame the person.l. If someone chose to respond with violence, then that was totally their decision not his. Blaming him for inciting violence would be like blaming a firearms manufacture because someone used their firearm to shoot someone. Yes they provided the firearm, but someone else chose to use it illegally.

Nooooo, he had no idea that sticking that video online would have no repercussions to this woman...

There's no track record of vigilante violence from the internet mob eh? So do you feel the people hiding behind their keyboards threatening violence should have no repercussions either?

Elkaholic338
03-23-2016, 09:29 AM
While it can be argued that wrong was committed on both sides of the camera, I think that if the woman in the video had simply said, "O I'm sorry, I didn't realize that it was a handicapped stall, I'll be more careful next time" we would have never seen this posted anywhere, as it was her reaction to being called out that caused this whole thing to come out.
So yes, maybe he should not have been harassing, but if she had been polite and courteous, and then driven away, this would have gone nowhere. It is directly related to her actions and choices in this situation that has caused this video to go viral.

nelsonob1
03-23-2016, 09:30 AM
Woman gets caught parking in disabled parking spot, vigilante guy is overly smug and confrontational so she throws her drink at him.

Probably not the end of society.

Sledhead71
03-23-2016, 09:30 AM
This new public shaming is just cyber bullying for the masses...

HighlandHeart
03-23-2016, 09:32 AM
She is a jerk for parking in the handicapped spot and even more of a jerk for throwing cups at him. He is a jerk for being whiney and passive aggressive about it, egging her on while filming her. People are so quick to jump on the fake outrage bus and bust out the sarcasm, passive aggression, and other playground tactics to go right for the jugular instead of being polite and treating strangers the way they want to be treated. He could have just asked her if she was handicapped and if she knew she was parked in a handicapped spot, but he knew that wouldn't upset her and give him a chance to go viral and be a noble social justice warrior.

bobtodrick
03-23-2016, 09:32 AM

Mr. Favro holds no blame.
IF THE BIMBO HADN'T HAVE PARKED WHERE SHE WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE NONE OF THIS WOULD BE IN THE NEWS.
I'm handicapped...due to a auto racing accident years ago I walk with a cane, and any distance is tiring.
Yet when I go to Safeway, if there is only one handicapped space...or it's a business with only one space I leave it...I can get bye, the person in the wheelchair needs it far more than I.
With this in mind I have no problem confronting the JAKWADS I see parking in a handicapped stall and then jumping out of their vehicle like their prepared to run a 100yds sprint.
And I have had no problem videoing them and their license plate and forwarding it to the police (whom do follow up).
The opening title of this thread says it all.

waterninja
03-23-2016, 09:36 AM
Yes this is what's wrong with society.
2 useless idiots fighting over a parking space.
X2,,,,, Plus the fact that it was at a Tim Hortans. Rarely go into a Tim Hortans, but when I do, I see some strange stressed out people. Almost got into a physical altercation with a fellow in line because I bought the last Stanley Cup donut, and he wanted it. Talk about entitled!
Yep, thats whats wrong with society.

TIC

silverdoctor
03-23-2016, 09:36 AM
And I have had no problem videoing them and their license plate and forwarding it to the police (whom do follow up).

Right there, that's all that should have happened.

But he chose to upload the video for the internet mob. That's is something that the police are forever telling people NOT TO DO!!! Let the police do their job.

bobtodrick
03-23-2016, 09:50 AM

But he chose to upload the video for the internet mob. That's is something that the police are forever telling people NOT TO DO!!! Let the police do their job.

You know, on principal I agree with you.
But social media is what it is and people never learn.
They do truly idiotic things and then are so surprised when they are publicly shamed...some even losing jobs when their employer sees their actions.
I don't have any problem with her public shaming (threats of violence are another matter entirely).
All she had to do when she was caught being a doucebag was to say 'sorry, I was in a real rush and will be more thoughtful in the future' and I'll bet it all would have ended there.
But no...she had to compound one act of douchiness with another.

silverdoctor
03-23-2016, 09:57 AM
They do truly idiotic things and then are so surprised when they are publicly shamed...some even losing jobs when their employer sees their actions.
I don't have any problem with her public shaming (threats of violence are another matter entirely).
All she had to do when she was caught being a doucebag was to say 'sorry, I was in a real rush and will be more thoughtful in the future' and I'll bet it all would have ended there.

So what's your feeling on this public shaming case? He will never come back from this... Consequences to the girls that wanted their fame? None, mans life is in ruins and zero consequences. Video should have been sent to the police if there was any question- but no, put it online and let the internet mob convict him.

One forgotten pair of reading glasses, and an innocent man is publicly branded a pedophile.

It’s a cautionary tale for our times, after two 12-year-old Trail. B.C. girls let their pre-teen imaginations run amok in a fast food restaurant — and instead of a middle-aged man struggling to read his phone in an outstretched hand, they saw a probable pervert staring at them while taking photographs or video.

And so the girls took their own smartphone photos of the supposed creep — photos that they then posted to Facebook last week, where a feeding frenzy of speculation, suspicion and outright embellishment soon turned into a virtual witch hunt for an assumed pedophile.

Except the target was nothing of the sort. He’s an upstanding married dad who’d simply gone to the restaurant to read the paper and check his email over a coffee, not realizing he’d left his spectacles at home.

“He went out for a cup of coffee and he didn’t have his glasses with him, that’s all,” said the man’s wife, whose identity is being withheld by the Sun.

“We’re not angry, we’re sad. We’re upset, and we’re scared.”

RCMP have since cleared the man of any improper behaviour, and officers confirm he is totally innocent of the charges leveled in the court of public opinion — venomous, hateful assumptions, based on rumours started by a pair of paranoid 12-year-olds, then spread by adults and kids alike.

The two girls at least got it half right, calling police after they grew suspicious about the man’s actions.

But then they decided to shame their supposed suspect over Facebook, seeking to identify the person in the photograph and warning young women to be wary of him.

It was an act of vigilantism that has absolutely devastated the guiltless man in the photo, who first found out he’d been publicly labeled a sexual predator through a concerned colleague at work.

“My husband went to work and a guy he knows came to him, and said look at this picture that’s being spread on the Internet,” said the victim’s wife.

“So he phoned me and he was so upset — and it’s all I can do not to cry just talking about it. I was shaking and struggling to breathe, wondering what can we do now.”

Lives have been ruined by Internet pitchfork parties seeking to right perceived wrongs, and even now, with the RCMP defending the man and telling the public he has done nothing wrong, there are comment-board crusaders still convinced he must be a monster, because the Internet said so.

The falsehood has hurt the entire family, and it was the man’s grown daughter who called the RCMP from her home in Calgary, making them aware the two girls had taken justice into their own hands and were potentially ruining a life in the process.

“You’re guilty until you can prove you are innocent, as soon as somebody calls you a pedophile,” said the wife.

“You’re a guy who’s been condemned before we can even get started trying to prove he’s innocent — they called him a pedophile, and they embellished the story, and here we are.”

RCMP Cpl. Darryl Orr says police spent four days putting out the fires of this bit of vigilante justice, which he calls a “public relations fiasco”.

Facebook has now pulled the posting, and the girls have been educated about the real-life ramifications of assumptions made online, where there is no way for the victim to defend himself.

“There’s a big lesson learned, that’s for sure,” said Orr.

The town of Trail is still on edge, with reports of another innocent man refused service at a local grocery store, because he resembled the first one and some local youths made a scene.

For the family targeted, the man and his wife hope Trail is small enough to quickly clear up the misunderstanding, though they would like to hear from the girls — perhaps through a letter of apology.

“I think that’s the least they could so. That’s all this is. A learning lesson,” said the wife.

“The bottom line is think before you post and think before you share.”

wags
03-23-2016, 10:13 AM
So what's your feeling on this public shaming case? He will never come back from this... Consequences to the girls that wanted their fame? None, mans life is in ruins and zero consequences. Video should have been sent to the police if there was any question- but no, put it online and let the internet mob convict him.

I'm not taking a side on this, but this is not a good comparison.

Your example is public shaming based on something that was perceived, not actual. The other example is video of her parking in a handicap spot (and admitting it), then throwing things on the man. This is actual, not perceived.

Video taping an interaction seems like not a bad idea to quell any 'he said, she said' stuff.

Cheers

bobtodrick
03-23-2016, 10:16 AM

As I stated...I agree with you about the police.
But as I also stated...it's part and parcel now of social media.
It's why I'm not on Facebook, Twitter or anything of that ilk.
As the opening title states...'this is what's wrong with Society'...not so much this case in particular, but our new overwhelming desire to be in constant contact with...everything and everybody.
If you're going to participate in this lifestyle (odds are from the looks of her the young woman in the video is a prime example) you gotta be prepared to suffer the (sometimes completely unwarranted) consequences.
If you read any of the current manuals on preparedness in todays world (things like carefully choosing where you sit in a restaurant, etc)...it also pertains to social media...even if you are not guilty, always consider what you are doing in public and think of the worst case scenario.
Your example...the fellow without his glasses.
Unfortunately (and I sincerely mean that) you have to be aware that what you do, even if you think it looks innocent can be taken by someone else as not...and bingo...two minutes later you are on Facebook.
Again...I agree with you, but just as in the past you had to be aware of your surroundings...don't walk unlit streets at night, that sort of thing...now you have to be aware of your 'social media presence'.

Clgy_Dave2.0
03-23-2016, 10:22 AM

But he chose to upload the video for the internet mob. That's is something that the police are forever telling people NOT TO DO!!! Let the police do their job.See, now you're defending the very action you said shouldn't be done. First, you say Mr Videographer shouldn't have filmed her because it would only lead to confrontation and her reactions were justified because he incited her...yet now you say someone should have filmed and sent it to the police.
Her reactions had nothing to do with whether the video was shared on social media or not. Her level of blame is still the same.

waterninja
03-23-2016, 10:28 AM
Unlike the woman, the guy recording the video did nothing illegal, and is therefore not accountable for anything,

No she doesn't deserve a beating, but she does deserve a ticket and the public shaming that she received. As for the fame, I for one paid no attention to the person doing the recording, the self entitled woman was the one receiving two minutes of fame.
I think a case could be made that the fellow did more then simply videotape. He confronted this poor woman and even after being told that she didn't want to be recorded he continued to record AND stalked her and even tried to engage her in conversation. Can't imagine the pain and suffering this poor lady had to endure, and you can't blame her for trying to defend herself by throwing a coffee at him.
Hope when she sues him that she gets enough from the jury to ease her pain and suffering and to pay for the years of councelling she will now need to recover from this brutal psychological assault.
Also that fellow should have to take some anger management councelling.

TIC

Talking moose
03-23-2016, 10:35 AM
I think a case could be made that the fellow did more then simply videotape. He confronted this poor woman and even after being told that she didn't want to be recorded he continued to record AND stalked her and even tried to engage her in conversation. Can't imagine the pain and suffering this poor lady had to endure, and you can't blame her for trying to defend herself by throwing a coffee at him.
Hope when she sues him that she gets enough from the jury to ease her pain and suffering and to pay for the years of councelling she will now need to recover from this brutal psychological assault.

TIC

Huh? Lol, poor lady? Anger management for the guy shooting the video? Do you park in the handicapped spot Earnest? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

silverdoctor
03-23-2016, 10:36 AM
See, now you're defending the very action you said shouldn't be done. First, you say Mr Videographer shouldn't have filmed her because it would only lead to confrontation and her reactions were justified because he incited her...yet now you say someone should have filmed and sent it to the police.
Her reactions had nothing to do with whether the video was shared on social media or not. Her level of blame is still the same.

Really Dave? That how you read my postings?

I said the video should have been sent to the police - just as the police ask people to do - instead of posting it to social media.

Never once defended her actions.
But I can find no way to defend the idiot behind the camera either.

You know what the result is going to be? Nothing. I seriously doubt any charges will be laid against the woman - that's the track record of posting stuff like this to the internet.

Kind of moot now isn't it, counter productive. Said video should have been sent to the police, not to the internet.

whiteout
03-23-2016, 10:41 AM
If all the guy wanted was for her to be accountable for her actions, he would have filed a complaint with the police. Since he didn't, and instead posted it to social media, it's pretty easy to infer that he wanted her to suffer the kind of backlash that is happening.

He's just another SJW who is looking for virtual pats on the back for his righteousness, not even remotely concerned with letting the police handle it. Why do the right thing and only have one person say thanks when you can incite thousands of people to the point of threats?

elkhunter11
03-23-2016, 10:42 AM

Excellent post.

So the person that knowingly parked in a handicapped stall, and then threw her drinks at the person that exposed her illegal acts is the victim? As to him stalking her, he waited at her car and recorded he there, unless he followed her as she left in the car, he didn't stalk her. Engaging her in conversation, since when did it be a crime to ask someone a question in public? Defending herself, from what, someone talking to her? As to a laws suit, if you honestly think that a jury in this country would see her as the victim here, then you are truly delusional.
As to anger management courses, he seemed calm and composed throughout , he displayed no anger or outbursts, she was the only one that did.
I find your entire post laughable at best.

elkhunter11
03-23-2016, 10:43 AM
Huh? Lol, poor lady? Anger management for the guy shooting the video? Do you park in the handicapped spot Earnest? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Exactly what I was thinking.:)

Sledhead71
03-23-2016, 10:46 AM
If all the guy wanted was for her to be accountable for her actions, he would have filed a complaint with the police. Since he didn't, and instead posted it to social media, it's pretty easy to infer that he wanted her to suffer the kind of backlash that is happening.

He's just another SJW who is looking for virtual pats on the back for his righteousness, not even remotely concerned with letting the police handle it. Why do the right thing and only have one person say thanks when you can incite thousands of people to the point of threats?

Exactly, as I mentioned earlier this is just another case of cyber bullying.

Big Sky
03-23-2016, 10:50 AM
Hey, at least give her some credit for not using the drive-thru. :)

She's wrong. No doubt.

As previously stated, all he needed to do was photograph the car and driver and report it to the police. Everything beyond that was about his desire to become an internet hero.

waterninja
03-23-2016, 10:51 AM
You will notice the TIC at bottom of my post. Tounge In Cheek.

I would never park in a handicapped zone, or sit in a wheel chair unless I had to. VERY superstitious about that.

You know what though? If you were to have a real debate about who did more "wrong"or was more of a pain to society, I think the cameraman did more damage to the fabric of society then the woman did.

JohninAB
03-23-2016, 10:51 AM
Exactly what I was thinking.:)

Think some may have missed the TIC at the bottom of the post. TIC, tongue in cheek.

waterninja
03-23-2016, 10:52 AM
exactly what i was thinking.:)
GOTCHYA.
The problem with society today is that the woman probably would win a court battle with the cameraman.

elkhunter11
03-23-2016, 10:57 AM
gotchya
Yes you did, but I did say that your post was laughable.:)

JustMe
03-23-2016, 11:18 AM
I'm sure the police are busy enough without having to respond to some airhead parking in a handicap stall without a permit?

What I have a hard time accepting is that so many on this thread seem to support her sense of entitlement, whether or not someone posted an embarrasing video. Perhaps those same ones are the idiots here in Edmonton feeling they are entitled to park wherever they like? Have some respect for yourselves, the handicapped and the law... Sorry, don't mean to sound like a a-hole, but sense of entitlement and lack of respect both for self and others has almost become a thing of the past...

Hey, at least give her some credit for not using the drive-thru. :)

She's wrong. No doubt.

As previously stated, all he needed to do was photograph the car and driver and report it to the police. Everything beyond that was about his desire to become an internet hero.

Clgy_Dave2.0
03-23-2016, 11:36 AM
Really Dave? That how you read my postings?

I said the video should have been sent to the police - just as the police ask people to do - instead of posting it to social media.

Never once defended her actions.
But I can find no way to defend the idiot behind the camera either.

You know what the result is going to be? Nothing. I seriously doubt any charges will be laid against the woman - that's the track record of posting stuff like this to the internet.

Kind of moot now isn't it, counter productive. Said video should have been sent to the police, not to the internet.
I may have misread your post then, my mistake. I just got that from your stance that shoving a camera in someone's face will only get expected results, hence it shouldn't be done.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother the police about it. Nothing will be done, they'll just have to waste their time and resources on a recorded complaint.
Much more was accomplished by posting the video publicly, right or wrong. I HAVE confronted people about parking in handicap stalls though. Or when they park in front of a store, sitting in there vehicle while their passenger shops, blocking traffic from getting by, instead of finding a parking spot 50 yards away. Going to police about it is a waste of time.

I just find it mere entertainment more than anything. Couldn't care less either way. If someone shoved a camera in my face trying to shame me for something like in Ok's case of walking his dog off leash (something I do ALL the time) I would merely say "Get bent" and walk away laughing. (I would never park in a handicap stall, that's just me personally). Her reactions speak loud and clear what kind of person she is, regardless of what happened with the video afterwards.

Sooner
03-23-2016, 11:37 AM
If you see a problem with parking, spitting, throwing you butts out, garbage dumped on the street. Go talk to the person, give them a piece of your mind. Why do you need a camera running to do it nowadays?

When I see these videos going viral, i have to wonder if someone isn't looking for their 15 mins of fame sometimes.

As mentioned, if the girl said oh crap, i did park here, my mistake, sorry. Thanks for letting me know, he would have been shut down in a heart beat.

Now they both are internet stars. Looks like she got caught red handed and made it worse, looks like he wanted to be a hero. They both turned out to be zero's.

Okotokian
03-23-2016, 11:46 AM
No it's not, but maybe the bimbo will think twice about parking in a handi-cap spot again!

Oh I'm sure she will never do it again. I expect the viral online shaming will ramp up beyond any proportion commensurate with the crime.

bobtodrick
03-23-2016, 12:05 PM
It just hit the news that the young lady has been approached by police and given a warning for parking in the handicapped space as well as telling her that she could have been charged with assault if Mr Favro wanted to press charges (he has declined to do so).
Bet she avoids handicapped spaces from this day forward.

silverdoctor
03-23-2016, 12:13 PM
It just hit the news that the young lady has been approached by police and given a warning for parking in the handicapped space as well as telling her that she could have been charged with assault if Mr Favro wanted to press charges (he has declined to do so).
Bet she avoids handicapped spaces from this day forward.

At least give both sides of the story... He realizes now that he can't put the genie back in the bottle and feels regret. He pulled his own video, but it's been shared thousands of times.

All she got was warnings... Wow, never seen that coming.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/03/23/video-of-woman-tossing-coffee-at-man-in-tim-hortons-parking-lot-goes-viral.html

Police warn woman who used disabled parking, as man who made video has regrets

bobtodrick
03-23-2016, 12:16 PM
At least give both sides of the story... He realizes now that he can't put the genie back in the bottle and feels regret. He pulled his own video, but it's been shared thousands of times.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/03/23/video-of-woman-tossing-coffee-at-man-in-tim-hortons-parking-lot-goes-viral.html

The story I saw didn't mention any regrets...are you just out to be argumentative or are you a .....(insert your own adjective)

silverdoctor
03-23-2016, 12:18 PM
The story I saw didn't mention any regrets...are you just out to be argumentative or are you a .....

Not being argumentative or a...

Can you post the link to the story you found?

bobtodrick
03-23-2016, 12:26 PM
Not being argumentative or a...

Can you post the link to the story you found?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/woman-police-warning-coffee-toss-1.3504197

Says there has to be a way for her to recover, but nowhere does it says he regrets what he did...in fact it says that numerous call to Mr Favro to comment went unanswered.

silverdoctor
03-23-2016, 12:50 PM
Either way, had the video been sent to the police - it could have resulted in a $450 fine and maybe he would have pressed charges instead of having to back peddle and say “I don’t want to grind this woman into the ground.”

Instead, she's off with a warning - which I figured it would be at most due to publicity - and probably going to capitalize on her new found fame. Wonder how many others are going to think, hrmmm, I wonder...

Jeron Kahyar
03-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Self entitlement at it's worst.

Sure is in many ways. She was not entitled to park in that spot. What gives him the title of "vigilanty justice cameraman"? Both parties are a good example of people feeling they can do whatever they want. Not to mention the hoards of internet heroes that feel they are entitled to give her a price of mob justice. Discussing that this story gained any popularity. How about people stop moaning and complaining about things and get on with their lives?

wags
03-23-2016, 12:53 PM

Because he declined to press assault charges - not because it was all she deserved.

Cheers

Talking moose
03-23-2016, 01:11 PM
You will notice the TIC at bottom of my post. Tounge In Cheek.

I would never park in a handicapped zone, or sit in a wheel chair unless I had to. VERY superstitious about that.

You know what though? If you were to have a real debate about who did more "wrong"or was more of a pain to society, I think the cameraman did more damage to the fabric of society then the woman did.

TIC......tongue in cheek....gotcha.... Thought that was an odd post for you.😊:)

silverdoctor
03-23-2016, 01:25 PM
Because he declined to press assault charges - not because it was all she deserved.

Cheers

Really... Lets rewind to the Calgary Stampede for a moment and the little 3 way that took place in public.

There were actually 2 illegal acts here - that's what most don't realize.

1st illegal act was having sex in a public place - that's a given. People could actually end up on a list for that one...

But the 2nd illegal act was by the person who recorded said act and uploaded it to the internet. Most don't realize that it's illegal to do so...

Were there any charges laid? Police investigated...

I have to wonder if posting the video to the internet vs sending video to police and shutting ones mouth would have different consequences. It rather seems that stuff like this - when made public - goes without any punishment or accountability. Police are being left on the outside when it comes to stuff like this, it must be really frustrating.

And mind you, the lady in question capitalized on the situation.

wags
03-23-2016, 01:36 PM
Really... Lets rewind to the Calgary Stampede for a moment and the little 3 way that took place in public.

There were actually 2 illegal acts here - that's what most don't realize.

1st illegal act was having sex in a public place - that's a given. People could actually end up on a list for that one...

But the 2nd illegal act was by the person who recorded said act and uploaded it to the internet. Most don't realize that it's illegal to do so...

Were there any charges laid? Police investigated...

I have to wonder if posting the video to the internet vs sending video to police and shutting ones mouth would have different consequences. It rather seems that stuff like this - when made public - goes without any punishment or accountability. Police are being left on the outside when it comes to stuff like this, it must be really frustrating.

And mind you, the lady in question capitalized on the situation.

So what does this Stampede incident have to do with the Timmy's incident? I assume that the second reference to being illegal has to do with posting porn against someone's will.

Are you saying that posting the video from Timmy's was illegal?

The fact is at Timmy's, if the guy who took the video CHOSE to, she could have, and would have been charged with assault. He could NOT have been charged with posting the video online, because it's not illegal.

Otherwise, i don't know what you inferring.

Cheers

silverdoctor
03-23-2016, 01:39 PM

This is my point Wags. How do you investigate after the fact when the whole world now knows what happened?

wags
03-23-2016, 02:00 PM
This is my point Wags. How do you investigate after the fact when the whole world now knows what happened?

The investigative job should be easier, and can proceed to the process of laying charges!

Cheers

elkhunter220
03-23-2016, 02:01 PM
silverdoctor go home

Lefty-Canuck
03-23-2016, 02:10 PM
Could have been handled differently in all aspects...but it wasn't. Act like an idiot in public and expect to be shamed....right or wrong it happens.

Sometimes people deserve to be placed in check, at the same time if you are the one calling a stranger out....be prepared that things may not go your way.

LC

bobtodrick
03-23-2016, 02:17 PM
Methinks we have a troll, eh silverdoctor?

79ford
03-23-2016, 02:27 PM
If some wanker was filming me in public i would probably be mad too.

Both people are idiots, the one wanker with the camera is self absorbed internet moral justice judge and the other is some chick who is too lazy to walk 4 extra feet.

I have driven around alberta for 9 years, i cant see any justification for albertans slagging anyones parking ability,lol, atrocious parking violations are a provincial past time. The one that bugs me is the fire lane parker with hazards on, like putting your hazards on exempts him/her from the fact they are in a fire lane, the lazy bum in the handy cap spot walks further than dillweed in the fire lane

silverdoctor
03-23-2016, 02:28 PM
Methinks we have a troll, eh silverdoctor?

Oh, so I'm a troll now...

Guess people missed this part of the story.

“The threats were advocating finding and raping her or crippling her etc.,” Favro wrote to CityNews.

But lets not hold anyone accountable for anything... All harmless fun behind a keyboard. Wonder how safe this woman feels now?

bobtodrick
03-23-2016, 02:40 PM

But lets not hold anyone accountable for anything... All harmless fun behind a keyboard. Wonder how safe this woman feels now?

You protest too much...either a troll or someone who is trying to justify their parking in handicapped zones.
No one here is condoning the threats made to her...but as I've stated that's part and parcel of social media...a bunch of cowards who post things they'd never say in person.
That however doesn't negate the fact that Mr Favro didn't do any thing illegal...AND SHE DID.
You don't seem to get it so I'm done here.

silverdoctor
03-23-2016, 02:47 PM
You protest too much...either a troll or someone who is trying to justify their parking in handicapped zones.
No one here is condoning the threats made to her...but as I've stated that's part and parcel of social media...a bunch of cowards who post things they'd never say in person.
That however doesn't negate the fact that Mr Favro didn't do any thing illegal...AND SHE DID.
You don't seem to get it so I'm done here.

Lets make it personal. If this was my daughter, and she made a mistake like that - I would expect her to take the fine and face the punishments.

If she was posted to the net like this woman was - then getting threats of rape and physical violence - I'd be on a rampage. If she was your daughter, you would too.

Nobody deserves what she got for what she did.

Have a wonderful day!

elkhunter11
03-23-2016, 02:54 PM

How about holding the people that are making the threats accountable for making the threats?:rolleye2:

sanjuanworm
03-23-2016, 03:39 PM
Both of these people are complete arseholes

iliketrout
03-23-2016, 03:46 PM
This whole story is absolutely disgusting.

Woman parks in a handicapped stall. Maybe on purpose. Maybe not. Regardless, she broke the law...punishment to fit the crime, give her a ticket, move on.

Vigilante DB armed with a cell phone aggressively confronts her...she gets defensive...overreacts (we all have).

Vigilante DB decides that the public pitchforkers should be let loose and posts video online. Scores of faceless people commit criminal offenses by uttering death and rape threats...almost all are guilty of cyber bullying to some degree. Pandora's box has been opened and for this woman will not be closed any time soon. Does she deserve a fine for illegal parking? Yes. Does she deserve death and rape threats? Absolutely not. Do the keyboard warriors deserve to be punished. You're damn right they do.

If vigilante DB was really concerned, he could have taken a photo of the vehicle parked illegally and sent it to the police. They have records indicating if that vehicle is registered to park in a handicapped stall. Let them do their thing and move on. Some are saying that police force time is constrained already...I wonder how much more time they've had to spend on the incident given the way it was handled by vigilante DB.

Who has the right to post video online of a complete stranger with the sole purpose of publicly shaming them because of a perceived wrongdoing? No one, if it was up to me. Not everything needs to be posted to Facebook. The original two parties from this video had an altercation. Things got heated, things were reported to the authorities, they handled it, case closed.

The public court of opinion and reactions is the real tragedy from this story. Here are some numbers for perspective.

As of the time of this post, that story on CBC has 1390 comments.
The federal budget has 775 comments.

Which story is more important to Canadians?

SMDH

Bergerboy
03-23-2016, 03:55 PM
The problem that I have with people posting stuff on social media is that it can snowball without any fact checking. Here is a story about a guy that was taking a picture for his kids by some Star Wars stuff and some lady mistakenly thought he was taking pictures of his kids. She took his picture and put it in Facebook. Suddenly people thought he was a bad guy.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/outer-east/a-man-who-took-an-innocent-selfie-at-westfield-knox-has-his-image-splashed-all-over-facebook-by-a-mum-who-thought-he-took-photos-of-her-children/news-story/a2d5f10b6e69a6d8bae908b4f042d999?nk=6f8f49c3d183f3 56eb878d0fcc79de1c-1458769930

Klondike
03-23-2016, 07:30 PM
This whole story is absolutely disgusting.

Woman parks in a handicapped stall. Maybe on purpose. Maybe not. Regardless, she broke the law...punishment to fit the crime, give her a ticket, move on.

Vigilante DB armed with a cell phone aggressively confronts her...she gets defensive...overreacts (we all have).

Vigilante DB decides that the public pitchforkers should be let loose and posts video online. Scores of faceless people commit criminal offenses by uttering death and rape threats...almost all are guilty of cyber bullying to some degree. Pandora's box has been opened and for this woman will not be closed any time soon. Does she deserve a fine for illegal parking? Yes. Does she deserve death and rape threats? Absolutely not. Do the keyboard warriors deserve to be punished. You're damn right they do.

If vigilante DB was really concerned, he could have taken a photo of the vehicle parked illegally and sent it to the police. They have records indicating if that vehicle is registered to park in a handicapped stall. Let them do their thing and move on. Some are saying that police force time is constrained already...I wonder how much more time they've had to spend on the incident given the way it was handled by vigilante DB.

Who has the right to post video online of a complete stranger with the sole purpose of publicly shaming them because of a perceived wrongdoing? No one, if it was up to me. Not everything needs to be posted to Facebook. The original two parties from this video had an altercation. Things got heated, things were reported to the authorities, they handled it, case closed.

The public court of opinion and reactions is the real tragedy from this story. Here are some numbers for perspective.

As of the time of this post, that story on CBC has 1390 comments.
The federal budget has 775 comments.

Which story is more important to Canadians?

SMDH

Obviously this one. You've taken the time to add your opinion to this one yet I don't see any concern/comment from you on the budget thread http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=283787

:sign0161:

waterninja
03-23-2016, 08:24 PM
Obviously this one. You've taken the time to add your opinion to this one yet I don't see any concern/comment from you on the budget thread http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=283787

OMG, thats funny. 2 gotchya's on same thread.

iliketrout
03-23-2016, 08:46 PM

I'm honoured that you cross checked. How do you know I haven't shared my opinion regarding the budget on any other media sites?

Clearly missing the point of the comment. On a day when there are way more significant issues, this is the story that goes viral...and along with it come rape and death threats. Yup..as per the title of the thread...this is what is wrong with society.

iliketrout
03-23-2016, 08:49 PM
OMG, thats funny. 2 gotchya's on same thread.

Yup. He got me really good. It'll take me a while to recover.:mad0100:

waterninja
03-23-2016, 08:50 PM
Cameraman is lucky that woman didn't knee him in the HF's.

Klondike
03-23-2016, 08:57 PM
I'm honoured that you cross checked. How do you know I haven't shared my opinion regarding the budget on any other media sites?

I'll ruin the surprise for you. I have.

I didn't have to cross check anything. I followed and posted in the budget thread and you're not there. I ready don't care what sites you have posted your comments about the budget nor do I care where else you've continued your whin fest about this perceived entitled brad.

What I see on this site is you're lookin like the fool:sHa_sarcasticlol:

iliketrout
03-23-2016, 09:06 PM
I didn't have to cross check anything. I followed and posted in the budget thread and you're not there. I ready don't care what sites you have posted your comments about the budget nor do I care where else you've continued your whin fest about this perceived entitled brad.

What I see on this site is you're lookin like the fool:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Good on ya for seeing the big picture. Maybe I'll see you over in the budget thread.

nelsonob1
03-23-2016, 11:01 PM
I don't think this subject would get 83 postings during hunting season.

ak77
03-24-2016, 12:33 AM
My only opinion about the coffee story, and to answer the thread question - I think the problem with the society is that people stick their noses into other people's business. MYOB - it will eliminate half of the problems in your life. Was the guy filming the girl handicapped? Did she take his spot? Was there a handicapped person waiting for parking because she parked where she did?
Methinks it was "No" to all those questions.

But that's not why I am here.
I read the last page and a few comments piqued my interest. In particular about filming. People bring up trisome at stampede, something else, coffee incident... Some say it's illegal to record anyone. it is not correct
I read up alot about that fact, around the time when lots of police brutality videos showed up on the youtube and such. There were few cases in Edmonton as well. The bottom line is the following: anyone can take pictures of anything and anyone on public property, there is no law forbidding it. Same as publicly accessed private property, with minor caveat that only the owners can forbid the photos/videos taken. Also, there's no law stopping you from using those pictures anyway you like (including sharing on social media/internet), as long as it is legal (like, if you gonna use picture/video for blackmail - probably shouldn't be doing it). However, the object of the picture/video can sue you in civil court for whatever real or made-up reason they have, and it will be up to judge to decide it the lawsuit has merit. It will create the precedent, not the law.
In above mentioned examples, if, for example, the Stampede Girl had problems with employment after the video was published she could sue the photographer for damages. How judge would decide - nobody knows. The act was in public, and it is really hard to prove that it was the video that caused the damages.

Kagey2220
03-24-2016, 06:07 AM
From what i know about handicap parking, unless the sign says " Handicap Parking by Permit only", It is not illegal to park there. Immoral yes, not illegal.