PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Recipes?

drhu22
03-23-2016, 10:25 PM
I just saw a couple in the neighbors yard that were looking nice and plump, and it makes me think that I've always wanted to try rabbit.
No im not going to off one... I'ld lose too many brownie points around here with the neighbors, cops, etc. etc.

What are some of your favorite recipes for snowshoe hare?
Also, where can you buy it in Calgary?

Jeron Kahyar
03-24-2016, 10:02 AM
No idea where to buy it but Rabbit stew and Rabbit pot pie are delicious. If you try any fast frying with it make sure to add some fat. I can't think of any leaner meat than Rabbit.

TargetRick
03-24-2016, 10:05 AM
Try some elsewhere, such as at a friends or a restaurant, because rabbit is kind of a strong taste. Not to my liking, but you might like it.

calgarychef
03-24-2016, 10:38 AM
Wrap in tinfoil with butter and salt and pepper and bury under your campfire for a few hrs....yum!

Brown it in a deep pot with some butter, remove and fry some onions and or garlic, deglaze with white wine, add some thyme, salt and pepper, and a couple cups of cream bring to the boil and add the rabbit back in. Cook covered at 300 degrees or less until tender.

Go to Belgium and find that little restaurant that I went to (can't remember the name) and try their rabbit with prunes and beer ....fantastic

albertadeer
03-24-2016, 10:40 AM
Try some elsewhere, such as at a friends or a restaurant, because rabbit is kind of a strong taste. Not to my liking, but you might like it.

I've never had a rabbit with a strong taste...

Brown in cast iron pan, deglaze pan, cover in white sauce and slow cook for 4-6hrs with potatoes and carrots

...Edit...

I see the above poster has a more detailed version... Mmmmm creamed rabbit...

trooper
03-24-2016, 10:56 AM
I had a Sergeant major when I was in the service tell me about a rabbit stew recipe that was awesome. he had just been posted to edmonton and was quartered in the Sr NCO's quarters. We did an FTX out at wainwright and set up some snares, caught about 5 rabbit and brought them back to the Sr NCOs quarters in Griebach. Long story short, the stew that he made was fantastic! here's his recipe
In a large roasting pot, Fry up a couple of large chunks of back bacon, add water and Knorr's hunter sauce, two cut up rabbits, some diced carrots, potatoes, rutabaga, celery, one whole chopped up onion. place in the oven until the potatoes are soft, make a flour duff and spread over the concoction then place back into the oven (no lid this time) when the duff is a light brown, then the stew is done. you will love this..:sign0111:

SubMOA
03-24-2016, 11:03 AM
I had a Sergeant major when I was in the service tell me about a rabbit stew recipe that was awesome. he had just been posted to edmonton and was quartered in the Sr NCO's quarters. We did an FTX out at wainwright and set up some snares, caught about 5 rabbit and brought them back to the Sr NCOs quarters in Griebach. Long story short, the stew that he made was fantastic! here's his recipe
In a large roasting pot, Fry up a couple of large chunks of back bacon, add water and Knorr's hunter sauce, two cut up rabbits, some diced carrots, potatoes, rutabaga, celery, one whole chopped up onion. place in the oven until the potatoes are soft, make a flour duff and spread over the concoction then place back into the oven (no lid this time) when the duff is a light brown, then the stew is done. you will love this..:sign0111:

I second this - i got a rabbit here a few months ago and my wife looked up some European recipes that had bacon as part of it (because rabbit meat has VERY LOW fat content) and the stew was delicious!

calgarychef
03-24-2016, 11:07 AM
Rabbit tastes like a Strong turkey, for those who want to give it a go

trooper
03-24-2016, 11:09 AM
In fact, my wife just mentioned that we should go on another "wabbit" hunt next week. She wants to play with her "new rifle" hehehehe.:love0025:

WatermelonBoy
03-24-2016, 12:19 PM
I don't know about snowshoe but cottontail is what I've tried. I've bbq it and it was great. Also stirfried another with some onions and made tacos! mmm mmm good

HunterDave
03-24-2016, 12:31 PM
Shake and bake. :)

I've never found rabbit to have a strong flavour, in fact I find it rather mild and pleasant.

Puma
03-24-2016, 01:40 PM
Superstore in Airdrie has frozen rabbit, about 24.00 each.

We used to raise them, maybe I will get some this year.

We make a Hungarian sour cream recipe that is to die for. Google is your friend.

Grizzly Adams
03-24-2016, 04:42 PM
Solid chocolate or hollow? :lol:

Grizz

trooper
03-24-2016, 05:02 PM
Solid chocolate or hollow? :lol:

Grizz

The missus likes the solid chocolate kind, but only when they're in season.:character0110:

alacringa
03-24-2016, 05:16 PM
With hare, I quarter, apply a nice chicken rub, and fry with onions on lowish heat.

I've seen rabbits at Stuporstore, but would never pay the price they ask.

jeffreys 21234
03-24-2016, 06:06 PM
You guys usally shootin cotton tails to eat rather then jack rabbits ? Never eating rabbit since I was a little kid but would love to try it again

HunterDave
03-24-2016, 07:26 PM
You guys usally shootin cotton tails to eat rather then jack rabbits ? Never eating rabbit since I was a little kid but would love to try it again

I only ever eat one jackrabbit and that was only because when I took my dog out in a patch of bush in town, he caught and killed it and I didn't want it to go to waste. I didn't find any difference in the taste and there was a lot more meat to eat. I never see jackrabbits in the bush, only snowshoe hare. It seems to me that jackrabbits like urban areas.

jeffreys 21234
03-24-2016, 09:31 PM
I'm from down south so we have lots of jack n Cotten tails wasn't sure which ones were better or if was much difference

drhu22
03-24-2016, 10:18 PM
Re: trooper... "In a large roasting pot, Fry up a couple of large chunks of back bacon, add water and Knorr's hunter sauce, two cut up rabbits, some diced carrots, potatoes, rutabaga, celery, one whole chopped up onion. place in the oven until the potatoes are soft, make a flour duff and spread over the concoction then place back into the oven (no lid this time) when the duff is a light brown, then the stew is done. you will love this.."

Could I commission you to whip me up one of those?

drhu22
03-24-2016, 10:22 PM
calgarychef, thanks for that!

alacringa
03-24-2016, 10:33 PM
I only ever eat one jackrabbit....

I've only ever eaten one, too...but there was a heck of a lot of meat on it, and it made a great stew!

reddeerhunter
03-25-2016, 09:33 AM
In a non stick frying pan add oil splash of soya sauce garlic powder and an onion. Salt and pepper to taste.
To this add 2 front legs ribs back and back legs. Brown on each side. Then take heat off medium to just under. Add a lid. Go 15 mins flip then another 10mins.
Used to own 4 beagles so every weekend we shot 6-10 rabbits. Great eating.