PDA

View Full Version : help with fishing at Playa Del Carmen, Mexico

goose
02-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Hello all, I am going to be in Playa for a week and I would really like to do some ocean fishing while I'm there. If anyone has been there and could recommend someone there or has any input on the experince there please let me know, as I have never been there.
best regards
Goose

Pictures to follow after the trip!

whiskybaron
02-24-2009, 10:48 AM
I have been there twice I can not remember the first person but I would have no good things to say any way but the second time I went with an outfit called captain ricks I believe he even has a website and we had a great time we caught baracuda, trigger fish and snapper. I wiould recomend them and they are resonably priced.

Sundancefisher
02-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Hello all, I am going to be in Playa for a week and I would really like to do some ocean fishing while I'm there. If anyone has been there and could recommend someone there or has any input on the experince there please let me know, as I have never been there.
best regards
Goose

Pictures to follow after the trip!

I recommend you take me so I can help you catch fish...you need to pay though:wave:

goose
02-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Sorry Sundancefisher, only room for my sombrerro, sandels and my Borat swimsuit in my suitcase.

The perch were outstansding by the way, caught the flu right after and forgot to post how many we caught. Thank you again for the invite, I really had a great time, hopefully we can hook up again before the nice gives way.
Still thinking about the rainbow that got away!!! We also got the social club e-mail about the charlottes, thanks alot!! I'll work on the wife on that one on the beach in Mexico,hahaha.

regards
Goose

icefever
02-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Have used Captian Ricks twice and would use them again. Very professional. They are located in Puerto Aventuras only 15 minutes from Playa. Attached is a pic of one of our catches

seahawkfisher
02-24-2009, 04:54 PM
i second cptn rick's
top notch fellas
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/seahawkfisher/2007_0819weddingpics0616.jpg
cheers

stiknfish
02-25-2009, 07:01 AM
hired these guys off the beach.There was a guy standing with a little podium and an umbrella,Jordy ,I think was his name.He set us up with these guys on the beach.$220 US for 4 hours.Caught 4 mahi mahi with the biggest around 45lbs

ub3rst4r
02-26-2009, 07:34 PM
We went on that same fishing trip in playa del carmen. We got sea sick tho and didnt catch anything :( the best time to go is in april - august when its not so windy

http://img24.imagevenue.com/loc1081/th_02166_IMG_0297_122_1081lo.JPG (http://img24.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=02166_IMG_0297_122_1081lo.JPG)

icefever
02-26-2009, 08:05 PM
I thought June-Oct is hurricane season. We went in November and March a little chop on the water makes for good sailfish fishin. Probably drank to many cervaza on the boat:lol::lol:

italk2u
02-27-2009, 08:04 AM
I'm going to be just southwest of playa del carmen starting next thursday.
I've spoken to a number of people on the Tulum and Akumal forums and they're saying if you can find a nice secluded cove somewhere you can get some bonefish and maybe the odd permit as well as a ton of needle fish.
I'm bringing my 8-weight down with some floating line and a bunch of "crazy Charlies" my buddy tied up for me.
I'm also going to take a spinning rod and reel and some silver spoons as well as a casting bubble in case the wind comes up.
I don't think i wanna pay 200+ bucks for 4 hours of fishing down there..besides it's more fun to tour around on foot

icefever
02-28-2009, 12:38 PM
We stayed south of playa last march at Eldorado Seaside, I was snorkeling right off the beach and there where barracuda and bonefish in only 4 feet of water. Just have to scout the shore line

slingshot
02-28-2009, 08:33 PM
IS a license required to fish in Mexico?

italk2u
02-28-2009, 10:44 PM
If you are fishing from shore....no. If you use a boat and a guide, they will charge you an extra $20 USD for the "license".
The only restriction for shore fishing is that you not be within 250 meters of swimmers or snorkelers.

Big Bull
03-01-2009, 09:21 AM
IS a license required to fish in Mexico?
I've paid guides for a few licenses in Mexico, but have never actually seen the license.:D

Sundancefisher
03-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Before fishing in Mexican waters all anglers must have a valid Mexican Sport Fishing License. This license covers all types of fishing and is valid anywhere in Mexico. These licenses may be purchased a day, week, month or year. Aboard private boats in Mexican waters everyone must have a fishing license if there is any fishing gear, fish, or fish parts on board. The boat operators normally provide licenses for people fishing on charter sport fishing boats, but check before you go out on the boat. A fishing license is also required for underwater fishing. A fishing license is not required when fishing from land.

Fishing License Fees (USD)
Weekly $25.80
Monthly $37.00
Yearly $48.20

Effective January 2008, boat fishing permits are no longer required for vessels practicing sportfishing in Mexican waters.

The Department of Fisheries office (Oficina de Pesca) for these in San Carlos is on the right after you pass the entrance to the Marina Seca Dry Storage boat yard. Hours are 0830-1500 M-F. Ph: 011-52-622-226-1144. Fishing licenses are also available in San Carlos at the Convention and Visitors Office, the Cooperative Office by the entrance to Marina Seca dry storage and at Tag Sportfishing on the embarcadero at Marina San Carlos.

You may also order licenses via postal mail from the Oficina de Pesca (Department of Fisheries) in San Diego, CA. Click here to download the application form.

Only one rod or line with hook is permitted in the water, per person, but there is no restriction regarding the number of replacement items.

The fishing license allows you to capture only fin fish. It does not allow you to capture any mollusks or crustaceans, and their capture by anyone is strictly prohibited. Totuava, turtles and marine mammals are under protection of the Ministry and may not be captured at any time.

To capture bottom fish, up to four hooks on a vertical line may be used.

The use of electric reels is restricted to disabled fishermen only, after written authorization for the Ministry before use.

In ocean waters and estuaries the limit is a total of ten fish per day, with no more than 5 catches of a single specie, except of the species of Marlin, Sailfish and Swordfish and Shark, of which only one specimen of either is allowed, and which counts as five toward the overall 10 fish limit, or Dorado, Roosterfish, Shad, or Tarpon, of which only two samples of each specie are allowed, and which count as five toward the overall 10 fish limit.

Limit on inland bodies of water (rivers, lakes, dams, etc.) is five fish per day, whether of a single specie or in combination.

Underwater fishing is limited to five fish per day, using rubber band or spring type harpoons, and only while skin-diving.

There is no limit to the practice of "catch and release", as long as the fish that exceed the bag limit be returned to their environment in good survival condition.

Where sportfishing is conducted from boats out at sea for longer than three days, the bag limit will be the equivalent of three times the amounts mentioned above.

It is illegal to sell, trade, or exchange the fish caught. Fish should not be cleaned on board at sea but should be brought to fish cleaning stations in the marinas. Fish can be eviscerated and filleted, but a patch of skin must be left to permit identification.

The taking of abalone, lobster, shrimp, clams, cabrilla, totuava, oysters, and sea turtles is prohibited. Purchases of these species may be made at designated public markets or fishing cooperatives.

VIOLATIONS

 It is illegal to capture and maintain alive any fish for ornamental purposes.
 It is prohibited to receive any financial gain from the product obtained through sportfishing.
 It is prohibited to dump trash, litter or substances that harm the aquatic flora or fauna, whether on lakes, river banks, shores or oceanic waters.
 It is prohibited to collect shells, corals, sea anemones and snails, or to disturb the original ecosystem environment.
 It is prohibited to practice sportfishing 250 meters or less from swimmers.
 It is prohibited to use artificial lighting to attract large quantities of fish.
 It is prohibited to discharge firearms in Mexican waters.
 Fish caught under a sportfishing license may not be filletted aboard the vessel from which it was caught
 It is requested that all unusual activities, occurrences or record catches be reported to the nearest office of the Oficina de Pesca, or to its representation in San Diego, CA., in order to ensure the preservation of natural resources for the continued enjoyment of all fishermen.

Note: Sea turtles are protected under US law and may not be brought into the US.

Be prepared to show a Mexican fishing license to US Customs if bringing fish back into the United States.

Source and thanks to:
Oficina de Pesca
2550 Fifth Avenue # 15 San Diego, CA. 92103
Ph: (619) 233-4324 Fax: (619) 233-0344