PDA

View Full Version : west coast hali/salmon trip

Paule
03-24-2016, 11:13 AM
Looking for input on a possible halibut/bottom fish/salmon trip. Dates have me a little skeptical. I've never fished this time of year on the coast. Dates are may 31-june 4. Location is west side of Vancouver island, via Tahsis. I'm not worried about the halis and bottom fish, just curious what the salmon runs would be like that time of year. We've always gone end of june to end of august. Just not in the cards this year. Any opinions or experience for that time of year in that general vicinity would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Paul

PerchBuster
03-24-2016, 01:07 PM
Is a great time for the baitfish to be around in large numbers so I would expect the Salmon fishing to be pretty good. Won't be any giant Northern Cohos or an abundance of Tyee's but if you're looking for fine table fare like 16lb to 25lb Springs then you should be pleased. Might be the odd big Tyee class Spring around too though. We got 40lber at that time of year a couple years ago out from Sooke. The farther north you go on the coast the better it should be. Should be a great time for Chicken Hali's and ground fish too though. Good luck

Drewski Canuck
03-25-2016, 09:11 AM
Actually, June is when the Columbia River springs are starting their push south from Alaska.

It is off shore fishing off of Bajo, but when you see pictures of 50 # fish from Nootka, it is usually caught in this time period.

Drewski

FishingMOM
03-25-2016, 09:20 AM
Looking for input on a possible halibut/bottom fish/salmon trip. Dates have me a little skeptical. I've never fished this time of year on the coast. Dates are may 31-june 4. Location is west side of Vancouver island, via Tahsis. I'm not worried about the halis and bottom fish, just curious what the salmon runs would be like that time of year. We've always gone end of june to end of august. Just not in the cards this year. Any opinions or experience for that time of year in that general vicinity would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Paul
Hollared at Jamie he has a lodge/charter