PDA

View Full Version : Camping in Fort Mac

hawken
03-24-2016, 02:59 PM
Can anyone suggest a good campground in or within 15 minutes of McMurray for the August long weekend?
I've never been up there and don't like the campgrounds that just look like a parking lot.

Thanks.

southernman
03-24-2016, 03:21 PM
All the nice ones that were there when I first moved have closed now,
I think that there is one out toward the airport, eagle resort perhaps, next to a couple ponds,
or the one on gregorie lake, half way to Anzac.

Hugenuge
03-24-2016, 03:54 PM
Can anyone suggest a good campground in or within 15 minutes of McMurray for the August long weekend?
I've never been up there and don't like the campgrounds that just look like a parking lot.

Thanks.

I grew up in fort mcmurray and the best camping up there is at the Gregoire Lake camp ground. stalls are nice and lots of tress around. The lake it decent but the beach is awesome!

hawken
03-24-2016, 04:26 PM
I grew up in fort mcmurray and the best camping up there is at the Gregoire Lake camp ground. stalls are nice and lots of tress around. The lake it decent but the beach is awesome!

Thanks
That's where we will go.

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
03-24-2016, 06:22 PM
I haven't been to Mac yet but it's now in my plans for this summer, thanks :happy0034:

elkhunter11
03-24-2016, 06:31 PM
If you want a stall at Gregoire Lake for a long weekend, you need to arrange it early. I don't know if you can book stalls in advance, or if you actually have to show up with your tent or trailer to book a stall. I do know that the people from work would take their trailer out mid week if they wanted a stall for the weekend.

NewAlbertan
03-24-2016, 06:47 PM
I haven't been to Mac yet but it's now in my plans for this summer, thanks :happy0034:

Actually. Lots to see. Every albertan should make the trip.

Positrac
03-24-2016, 07:23 PM
If you want a stall at Gregoire Lake for a long weekend, you need to arrange it early. I don't know if you can book stalls in advance, or if you actually have to show up with your tent or trailer to book a stall. I do know that the people from work would take their trailer out mid week if they wanted a stall for the weekend.

My parents have a spot booked for the end of May so you can book them.

DLMfab
03-24-2016, 11:25 PM
heard about some sand dunes and such north of the mac, anybody know about this???

Positrac
03-25-2016, 08:56 AM
heard about some sand dunes and such north of the mac, anybody know about this???

The dunes are up by six lakes. 100 k north of Fort McMurray and then another 60 k or so on quads to the turn off. I'm not sure how far it is after leaving the winter road.

FishHunterPro
03-25-2016, 10:41 AM
The dunes are up by six lakes. 100 k north of Fort McMurray and then another 60 k or so on quads to the turn off. I'm not sure how far it is after leaving the winter road.

35km

catnthehat
03-25-2016, 11:13 AM
To tell you the truth I have never camped in any of the camp grounds here , but have rough camped all over this country since 1973.:)
All the campgrounds here can get crowded , I prefer to hit the river and camp in some quieter places.
Cat

FishHunterPro
03-25-2016, 11:27 AM
To tell you the truth I have never camped in any of the camp grounds here , but have rough camped all over this country since 1973.:)
All the campgrounds here can get crowded , I prefer to hit the river and camp in some quieter places.
Cat

I agree Cat I was born here and all the camp grounds are a gong show and ruined. Gregoire for the longest time was renting camp spots to commuters for work and it made it impossible to get a spot years ago. The Richardson back country can still be fun sometimes if it's not to busy.

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
03-25-2016, 12:31 PM

How's the fishing in the lake ? Is there a play ground for the kids ? The sandy beach sounds excellent for catching some sun and relaxing.

1899b
03-25-2016, 07:11 PM
How's the fishing in the lake ? Is there a play ground for the kids ? The sandy beach sounds excellent for catching some sun and relaxing.

There is one island on the entire lake. Fishing off the island yields decent walleye fishing. Pike are pretty much all over the lake...

elkhunter11
03-25-2016, 07:12 PM
There is one island on the entire lake. Fishing around the island there is decent walleye fishing. Pike are pretty much all over the lake...

And the walleye was catch and release only.