PDA

View Full Version : Large smelt in Calgary?

AlbertaAngler
02-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Hey All,

I'm looking for some good bait for large pike. I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to get large smelt or other bait (herring or anchovies) in or around Calgary

Thanks,

brianscott
02-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Real Canadian Super Store, in the frozen fish area.
Small smelts all the way up to 12 in Mackarel

Hope that helps

blackpheasant
02-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Superstore's usually have a good selection of frozen smelt's, chovie's, even some big shiner's and herring sometime's. :wave:

driverlong
02-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey All,

I'm looking for some good bait for large pike. I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to get large smelt or other bait (herring or anchovies) in or around Calgary

Thanks,
Superstore has them all. But not all Superstores carry them. Smelts are 7.99 for a kg. Herring and anchovies are around the same price. Both South Superstores carry them, and the one off of 16th and 36 does as well.

AlbertaAngler
02-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the tips. I tried the superstore in the NW and could not find any smelts. I asked on of the ladies in the department and she wandered around with a lost look and then said that they did not have any. I saw the mackarel, has anybody tried using these?

blackpheasant
02-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the tips. I tried the superstore in the NW and could not find any smelts. I asked on of the ladies in the department and she wandered around with a lost look and then said that they did not have any. I saw the mackarel, has anybody tried using these?

We used them down in Cabo for big fish, up here maybe not so much....

WTHunter
02-24-2009, 11:35 AM
We have a big Chinese grocery store up here in Edmonton. They always have smelt of all sizes for sale. If you have a similar store in Calgary, may be worth a visit!

TexasTornado
02-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Superstore

icefever
02-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Real Canadian Super Store, in the frozen fish area.
Small smelts all the way up to 12 in Mackarel

Hope that helps

Are Mackarel legal to use? They are not listed under bait fish that I can find. I usually buy from superstore but have also got herring from Fishin Hole

gpguy7
02-24-2009, 03:25 PM
might be slightly out of the way, but canadian tire in cochrane has a pretty decent selection of smelts, minnows etc. As well as a good selection of live bait i the summer..

AlbertaAngler
02-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Are Mackarel legal to use? They are not listed under bait fish that I can find. I usually buy from superstore but have also got herring from Fishin Hole

It would be considered just "bait" and you could use them where bait is allowed. The definition of "bait fish" is to allow fine tuning of restrictions where you might be able to use "bait" but not "bait fish", pine coulee for example.

4D7
02-25-2009, 01:43 AM
If your in calgary head up to the NE or NW TnT asian supermarket they got medium to large smelts for $4-$6 a bag depending on the smelt sizes. Bought a bag 3 weeks ago and i still have half a bag, keeping in mind we caught lots of fish too. All C&R'ed.

grandslamer
02-25-2009, 02:36 AM
wal mart super centers have large smelt frozen and bagged

Nerdapres'
02-25-2009, 06:14 AM
Every Husky or Mohawk that has a bait fridge usually has all sizes of smelt.

Savage270
02-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Check out Co-op. Got some big ones at the one on 17 ave.