PDA

View Full Version : Looking for perch in the south

daquin
02-24-2009, 11:09 AM
New down here in southern Alberta. Want to take the kids out for some decent perch action..looking for south of Calgary and around Lethbridge..Any suggestions?

TIA

DustDee
02-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Park Lake (near Lethbridge) has lots of little perch. If you want anything bigger, I suggest Sherburn Lake south east of Taber.

munyee4321
02-24-2009, 01:36 PM
sherburn x2

SouthAltaHunter
02-24-2009, 01:47 PM
x 3 on Sherburne. I caught alot of big perch on that lake pulling bottom bouncers & cranks for Walleye. Never really targeted them there as they seemed plentifull when Walleye fishing.

SouthAltaHunter

Versatile
02-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Yup Sherburne is the place to go for big perch right now. This time last year I was pulling out some real big females. Although not neccessary a camera is helpful.

I was out there for a week and what seemed to work best was a small hook like this
http://customjigs.com/icefishing/hardspoons/toadie.html Tipped wtih 3 or 4 maggots. Just strum the line enough to give the lure a little tail waggle. If the perch went away I would bounce it off the bottom seemed to bring them right back.

Another thing you should do it tie on a 1/8 jighead about 2 or 3 feet up the line from the maggots this way if a walleye comes through (need a camera for this) you can quickly drop the minnow down and fish for the walleye.

The perch will take the minnows as well but maggots were working great.

MathewsArcher
02-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Are there still perch in Henderson? Used to fish it alot with excellent success and the odd goldfish and pike as well.

Versatile
02-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Ya there is perch in there but they are about as long as your baby finger. I icefished all over that lake and couldnt find any bigger than that.

Still lots of pike in there (was a 21lb pulled out a few years ago on a fly midge I beleive it was) the UofL are also putting their brood stock in there so there is Browns and Brooks as well.

daquin
02-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the replies and welcome to more....probally will check out Sherburne. Was out at the pond in enchant and tons in there but tiny. Will post results when i get out there.

any part of the lake that is best?

thanks again all

Versatile
02-24-2009, 02:25 PM
fish where the spillway dumps into the lake. I usually head more towards the center of the lake. Usually 25-40 feet of water.

daquin
02-24-2009, 02:35 PM
What about access to sherburne and ice conditions?

thanks again

Versatile
02-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Umm I cant remeber the access. You want the west side of the lake. The RR slipd my mind but if you jump onto mapquest or google earth you will be able to trace it out yourself.

As for ice conditions I heard there was 3 feet of ice down there but havent seen myself. That lake is full of deep holes and what not so be carful on the ice.