PDA

View Full Version : Wabamun Assistance Please

anorthernhunter
03-25-2016, 07:50 PM
Hi Boys,

I am ususally a Pigeon fisherman but was hoping to get out to Wabamun one last time (Mon/Tue) for some pike.

I have only gone out once to Wabamun ... drove on off of Rg Rd 55 ... near Seba and fished the point ... all around the point. I fished from 5 feet to 20 fow.

I used a pike rig, smelt/anchovie and herring and only got a few hits and only landed one walleye.

I don't want a honey hole, just a little fellow fishing assistance ...

Try the same area/point?

Use the same rig?

Same bait?

Appreciate the help ... PM if you have some private info.

Thanks guys ... much appreciated.

Northern

TrophyAngler
03-26-2016, 10:24 AM
Try using slender spoons tipped with minnow. It never fails to produce fish for me there. Also there's good spots by fallis

Andy44
03-26-2016, 12:43 PM
I have had good success at the point at Fallis. You can get there by going south on Range road 52 off the Yellowhead. As you drive down the range road there's a big hill you go down and on that hill there's a right turn (2 ave), take that then turn left at first 4 way intersection and go over the railroads tracks. After the tracks turn left and there's a day parking lot or you can keep going and drive onto the lake. I don't know how the ice thickness is there but I know that driving onto the lake at that access is tricky and usually you need a pickup.

And ditto on the slender spoon and minnow head. Your tip up rigs are also rigged well. A little tip I learned is to make your herring/smelt/anchovies hang slightly head down, it makes it look a little bit more natural. Other spoons I like for pike and walleye are small Len Thompsons 5 of diamonds and PK Flutter Fish spoons in green or gold colours.

Remi3006
03-26-2016, 01:07 PM
Just south of the train bridge near the provincial cam area on the NE end of the lake can be good too... BIG bait!

anorthernhunter
03-27-2016, 09:29 AM
Thanks guys - the power of this forum at work!

Appreciate the tips.

Northern

anorthernhunter
03-27-2016, 09:46 AM
I was told that in the dead of winter to "dead stick" the bait ie, use a static tip up with little to know jigging as the fish are conserving energy and wont chase or hard hit a moving bait.

Given it's closer to spring and break up ... should a guy stick with the "dead sticking" (I am using an anchovie or smelt on a pike rig) or jig one hole and dead stick the other?

Thanks,

Northern

neekrivers
03-27-2016, 10:59 AM
Ive been having luck in 15ft of water but bait is 6ft from bottom..smelts on treble has landed burbout, pike and walleye. herring on pred rig has yielded pike in same depth. an slender spoons are hot with minnow. pike walleye burbout an white fish all on same set up. good luck the fishing is pretty good right now.