PDA

View Full Version : North Saskatchewan River

Dom4
03-25-2016, 07:50 PM
So I'm just wondering if anyone else has been having any luck in the river lately? I have been absolutely skunked and I am a little bit confused. :( Does anyone have any tips?

Asillywalrus
03-25-2016, 08:59 PM
Are you around Edmonton?

Dom4
03-25-2016, 09:35 PM
Are you around Edmonton?

Yes I am!

Asillywalrus
03-25-2016, 10:04 PM
I would try and find a deep, slow moving pool of water and use a slider rig with a floating hook with a worm or minnow. However I am defiantly not an expert, this will catch some fish though.

Dom4
03-25-2016, 10:07 PM
I would try and find a deep, slow moving pool of water and use a slider rig with a floating hook with a worm or minnow. However I am defiantly not an expert, this will catch some fish though.

Thank you honestly every single tip will help! I haven't tried the floating hook yet so I'll need to give that a try!

leloinjunior
03-27-2016, 03:13 PM
Fish slack water areas - anywhere out of the current. I like the holes in front of the big cement water outlets all along the river within the city. Be careful and check the ice every few feet as it can vary a lot. One time, at an eddy area, I checked the ice near shore & it was thick. Took two more steps & my whole leg went through the ice. I was dam lucky all of me didn't go through. No one would have found me or perhaps some unlucky person would have found pieces of me along the shore after the spring break-up. So yes, be very careful & stay on slack water areas. I've caught nice Pike & Burbots through the ice right in Edmonton.

jonkemper
03-27-2016, 11:03 PM
Saw someone had some luck catching pike up by hermitage this weekend. open water by the water plant

Andy44
03-28-2016, 12:22 AM
Fish slack water areas - anywhere out of the current. I like the holes in front of the big cement water outlets all along the river within the city. Be careful and check the ice every few feet as it can vary a lot. One time, at an eddy area, I checked the ice near shore & it was thick. Took two more steps & my whole leg went through the ice. I was dam lucky all of me didn't go through. No one would have found me or perhaps some unlucky person would have found pieces of me along the shore after the spring break-up. So yes, be very careful & stay on slack water areas. I've caught nice Pike & Burbots through the ice right in Edmonton.

You fish through the ice in downtown Edmonton?!?!? :scared0015: Wow man that's... that's... wow. I know the river pretty well and I don't even trust the slack water areas. Those holes in front of big cement water outlets are especially dangerous! It doesn't take a lot of salty melt water runoff to compromise the ice in those areas. I love fishing, but not nearly enough to risk drowning over catching a few fish. Also... it's almost April.. don't you find it a little bit unwise to be telling people to go out on the ice at this time of year? :confused:

Vigsy
03-28-2016, 10:25 AM
Got this pig on a jig in some slack water

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w442/Vigsy/A4317DE9-076D-45A6-84A3-C2F370CEF304_zpsaovqhsyd.jpg

waterninja
03-28-2016, 10:42 AM
Thats a beauty Vigsy.

cranky
03-28-2016, 11:03 AM
Nice fish. Nice spot too.

Dom4
03-28-2016, 11:06 AM
Wow what a beautiful fish and thanks everyone a lot for all of the tips! Although I don't think that in my lifetime I will ever build up the courage to go out on the ice on the river...

Vigsy
03-28-2016, 11:31 AM
Wow what a beautiful fish and thanks everyone a lot for all of the tips! Although I don't think that in my lifetime I will ever build up the courage to go out on the ice on the river...

thanks gentleman.

ya ive contemplated it a few times, but I don't think its worth it! I definatly would strongly encourage everyone to not try and ice fish the river.

curtis_rak
03-28-2016, 11:54 AM
Nice fish!

reloader
03-28-2016, 02:44 PM
Truly a great Northern Pike. River fishing can be more challenging than lake fishing as river levels can change so drastically as opposed to lakes . I seem to have better luck on lakes rather than rivers. Don't get me wrong , river fishing can be very rewarding, the above pic of vigsy tells that it can be.

Darren N
03-28-2016, 02:47 PM
Nice One Vigsy.

huffy
03-29-2016, 12:17 PM
Any open water around Devon? Playing hockey there this weekend and might try wet a line between games. Thanks

FreshAirGetter
03-29-2016, 02:49 PM
Any open water around Devon? Playing hockey there this weekend and might try wet a line between games. Thanks

Not yet...all iced up unfortunately.

Nice one Vigsy! Was that this year already? That's a beauty!

Vigsy
03-29-2016, 04:24 PM
Not yet...all iced up unfortunately.

Nice one Vigsy! Was that this year already? That's a beauty!

last sunday sir

D.A.C
04-07-2016, 10:56 PM
Hey has anyone ever fished the river by duvernay or shandro?
and if so how was your time fishing around there? And what did you catch?

Settle&release
04-08-2016, 09:15 AM
Hey has anyone ever fished the river by duvernay or shandro?

and if so how was your time fishing around there? And what did you catch?

I've fished shandro spot a lot. There's a decent spot on there and I've had pretty good luck with eyes there. Walleyes that is...

D.A.C
04-08-2016, 12:57 PM
I've fished shandro spot a lot. There's a decent spot on there and I've had pretty good luck with eyes there. Walleyes that is...

Thanks for sharing your experience, much appreciated. Never put a line in the nsr and looking to start going down after work and such.