PDA

View Full Version : Old CFB Houses...

molly
03-26-2016, 08:37 AM
I have been trying to find info on those old ticky-tacky 1 1/2 story houses that used to be on CFB Calgary (and maybe other bases...). Does anyone live in one or know of someone who does?
I am looking for photos of ones that have been renovated, verandas added on, etc. Reason being we are going to look at a ranch where the house provided is one of these, but not much done. I understand they are about 1100 sf. There are a bunch of them down at that little lake at the Great Canadian Barn Dance, south of Hillspring. Here is the only one I could find so far...

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/6730069?s=IHgDPqUm

recce43
03-26-2016, 09:24 AM
you better put some insulation in them and new windows they are cold houses

Grizzly Adams
03-26-2016, 09:32 AM
you better put some insulation in them and new windows they are cold houses

Renovated one, small in all respects, very dated interior planning. Bathroom standing room only, besides the toilet. Stairs sure don't meet modern code. Guess for a non demanding older couple they'd work. :lol: Once fixed up with some outside work, they don't look too bad. See the Natives have relocated some of the old Curry Barrack units.

Grizz

lannie
03-26-2016, 09:34 AM
There are a couple in Frank behind Pure Country and one almost on the highway in Cowley.

CaberTosser
03-26-2016, 09:40 AM
Many of the ones in Calgary were redeveloped as opposed to being destroyed, they stripped them to bare sheathing and rebuilt fromt here, I've been through a few on service calls. They're still small but are at least built better than they were previously. Google Streetview your way through Garrison Woods and you can see the small ones that stand out among the bigger new places.

mass
03-26-2016, 09:55 AM
Keep in mind that some of the insulation used in the older PMQ's may contain asbestos.

Mr Conservation
03-26-2016, 10:39 AM
Lived in one in the Yukon in the early 90's.

You could tell how cold it was outside by the amount of frost on the exterior wall receptacles. :eek:

Still had the old single pane windows, so you had to crank up the heat to stay warm. Fortunately heating oil was included in the rent we paid.

Probably well built structure wise, but would need a lot of work to bring it up to current codes, especially insulation.

Mr Conservation

gwwild
03-26-2016, 11:51 AM
I was raised in those houses and yes they are cold. the ones in garrison were taken down to studs because almost all have asbestos insulation in them. Which is fine as long as it is not disturbed supposedly they are the same right across the country.

Astrocyte
03-26-2016, 12:46 PM
I worked for a moving company and we had 100's of jobs involving those old CFB and garrison houses in Edmonton. They are small, cold, breaking down, often have damp basements (which are exposed concrete blocks), doors are not wide enough, bedrooms can hardly hold a dresser and twin mattress and so on. Be prepared to basically redo everything from plumbing to electrical and windows.

But if completely redone it would be a cute little cabin. I would not choose it for a home unless you make big additions. They are very small. Unless that style of home is what you want.

molly
03-26-2016, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the info! We will make sure and find out what the guy has had done to it, assuming we even want to live there and he wants to hire us. While I don't mind downsizing, I guess there is a limit, especially if one's furniture will not fit! :)
He is planning to do some upgrades including new windows and doors. It is on a ten year old concrete basement. Good to know about the asbestos...how would one know for sure?

does it ALL outdoors
03-26-2016, 06:20 PM
Lived in on on Griesbach for a few years. Was a 3 bdr 2 & 1/2 story 700'ish square feet. Was small but perfect for me & the gf. Wasn't to bad for insulation. Back then (10yrs) was $680 a month. They sold a bunch of the big duplexes off for dirt cheap, thought about grabbing one for a lake lot but they got scooped up real quick. Miss that little house

Grizzly Adams
03-26-2016, 07:04 PM
.how would one know for sure?

Get it tested. If it has the original cement board siding, it's right there for one.

Grizz

bang_on_sk
03-26-2016, 07:53 PM
.how would one know for sure?

Get it tested. If it has the original cement board siding, it's right there for one.

Grizz

It's not just the wall insulation, likely to be in the drywall compound, pipe insulation, shingles, some flooring. Can be pretty much everywhere. It's a little bit crazy where they'd put it!

Grizzly Adams
03-26-2016, 09:49 PM
It's not just the wall insulation, likely to be in the drywall compound, pipe insulation, shingles, some flooring. Can be pretty much everywhere. It's a little bit crazy where they'd put it!

Asbestos is a very versatile product and was used widely, before anyone found it caused cancer, also a contaminant in some vermiculite pour in insulation. Popular gemstone is Tigereye, people saw and polish it for jewelry. asbestos. :D

Grizz

sewerrat
03-27-2016, 07:41 AM
There are a hole bunch in Springbrook , just south of Red Deer, and they are all fixed up and look pretty good.

When we moved to Red deer we looked at a few of them in Red deer itself (Mountview, Waskasoo) , and they were renovated pretty much all the way to the studs. They are small, and the layouts were weird. But I like the look of those homes.

docv72
03-29-2016, 04:06 AM
Lived in them for 14 of my 24 years. Cold ,small, and very old. Check the wiring as some still have bear aluminum. We almost had a fire because of that in Edmonton.

58thecat
03-29-2016, 06:51 AM
Grew up in them as a kid, at the tail end of my dads career I went and visited and realized compared to the rediculous size of houses we have now this house would be considered a cabin which would be a nice little home away from home sitting on a lake shore...:sHa_shakeshout:

Buy it, plunk it down and slowly work on it as a project.:)

Rumtan
03-29-2016, 07:27 AM
I was told that the lino in those houses was also asbestos backed. Make sure a professional removes it or cover over it without disturbing it.

molly
03-30-2016, 02:19 PM
I was told that the lino in those houses was also asbestos backed. Make sure a professional removes it or cover over it without disturbing it.

I have emailed an asbestos testing company in Lethbridge. I am not sure if he will pay to get it tested, as he does not know if it has any, and I don't know if he would be legally bound to remediate it before renting it out again. Checking on that, too. Rooms sure are small, though...we would have to sell or store a lot of our stuff! The location is fabulous however...:)

jmdrmt
03-30-2016, 02:57 PM
I live in one right now, and am typing this from the living room, as I cant fit my wooden computer desk into the spare room on account of the door placement and size. Its not a bad place, getting small for three of us, and when company comes I get up early to get the only bathroom first. Speaking of which, the bathroom door, when open, leaves any passers by with full view of the toilet when the front door is open. The front door open up to block the stairs going up haha

The head maintenance guy here tells me the asbestos in in the drywall mud.
The layout is dated and a few walls could use knocking down. The slope of the bedroom ceilings limit furniture sizes. The kitchen needs a new layout, the counter space is very limited. As mentioned previously, the doors are narrow and anything larger than a queen size wont go upstairs. Its a good place for us now. I recall when they sold off a bunch from Greisbach, and if given the opportunity, I would take this place, and renovate it.

Grizzly Adams
03-30-2016, 03:51 PM
I live in one right now, and am typing this from the living room, as I cant fit my wooden computer desk into the spare room on account of the door placement and size. Its not a bad place, getting small for three of us, and when company comes I get up early to get the only bathroom first. Speaking of which, the bathroom door, when open, leaves any passers by with full view of the toilet when the front door is open. The front door open up to block the stairs going up haha

The head maintenance guy here tells me the asbestos in in the drywall mud.
The layout is dated and a few walls could use knocking down. The slope of the bedroom ceilings limit furniture sizes. The kitchen needs a new layout, the counter space is very limited. As mentioned previously, the doors are narrow and anything larger than a queen size wont go upstairs. Its a good place for us now. I recall when they sold off a bunch from Greisbach, and if given the opportunity, I would take this place, and renovate it.

People were Happy with a lot less in those post Depression years.

Grizz

jmdrmt
03-30-2016, 04:41 PM
People were Happy with a lot less in those post Depression years.

Grizz

No doubt about that. Don't misread my comments of design flaws with dissatisfaction in the house, I recognize and appreciate the construction methods of the time. If offered at a reasonable price I'd buy one for sure and update it. Cheers

Kim473
03-31-2016, 03:53 AM
Keep in mind that some of the insulation used in the older PMQ's may contain asbestos.

Lots of materials in them could have, not just insulation. Expensive to remove and dispose of these materials.

Watchdog
03-31-2016, 05:37 AM
Depending on what you get they can be renovated into something of a nice home. However, the quality of insulation and interiors varies from base to base and since you mentioned Calgary, those homes have likely had some renovations done to them since it has been closed for many years.

Do a search on Google for CFHA (Canadian Forces Housing Agency) and you should be able to access a tab about information on homes in the area i.e. Edmonton or Cold Lake. My interior is original with cupboards manufactured out of plywood in 1964. Sure minor updates over the years like vinyl windows, however even with plastic thermal sheeting over the windows you can feel the air blowing through the walls. Heat registers tend to be on the wall either 1' off the floor or 1' from the cieling and generally where you'd place say livingroom furniture. Some of these homes were duplexes that have the dividing walls removed to make larger homes. My heating (gas + elec) are easily over $400 per month.

YouTube has some videos posted titled PMQ in Cold Lake or something like that which shows the interior layout.

On my base they have gutted the interiors of some of them and redesigned the floor plans to include a 1/2 bath on the main floor along with spray foam insulation, center air, upgraded insulation and siding, etc. essentially they just kept the exterior walls in place and updated everything else including removing the asbestos type insulation I think it was called (malecite).

Just my two cents. Best of luck on your search.

denied access
03-31-2016, 06:32 AM
Lived in one in the Yukon in the early 90's.

You could tell how cold it was outside by the amount of frost on the exterior wall receptacles. :eek:

Still had the old single pane windows, so you had to crank up the heat to stay warm. Fortunately heating oil was included in the rent we paid.

Probably well built structure wise, but would need a lot of work to bring it up to current codes, especially insulation.

Mr Conservation

Those have all been fixed up now.

Word to the wise...siding was usually asbestos based as was the tar cloth behind it. Also tonnes of asbestos insulation on ductwork and how water pipes as well as blown into attic.