PDA

View Full Version : Calgary gun show

dannypee
03-26-2016, 01:17 PM
I wasn't overly impressed to be honest nothing really priced to sell including ammo great turn out by vendors but no real deals the cheapest sr22 I saw was in wholesale sports !!!:thinking-006:

Vigilante
03-26-2016, 05:26 PM
The best thing about the gun show is that The Shooting Center has Glock Days on the same weekend.

Dewey Cox
03-26-2016, 07:27 PM
If you're not impressed by the biggest gunshow in western Canada, there may be no pleasing you.

crosseye
03-26-2016, 09:57 PM
I found that I really had to shop around. Some tables the prices were too high but others were much more reasonable. This was my first time going, I'm already looking forward to next year I'll be more prepared (with more $$$).

oldgutpile
03-27-2016, 05:30 AM
DON'T go looking to get a deal on that savage or SKS you've been putting off. All the regular vendors are there with all the usual prices, sometimes with a little extra tacked on to cover their parking fees!
DO go, if you are looking for that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to find collectible or high-end guns. Custom guns from assorted makers around North America and Europe.
Where else can you go to find Holland and Holland made guns? Not saying they are in everybody's price range, but I enjoy just seeing the craftsmanship of the old-world makers. I saw guns from Boss, Boswell, Hollis, Manton, Lancaster, and just generally most of the English "best" guns were represented there from some old gun cabinet or closet. Greeners, Parkers, Fox, and even a few Winchester 21 shotguns showed up.
There was a great showing of Winchester lever action guns, both commemeratives and originals. Saw more Ruger no. 1 guns at this show than I usually see at half a dozen.
If you were looking for a pair of decent bino's, there were lots of used Swarovski, Leica, and Zeiss at the show. Even used, they're not cheap, but a used swaro slc at 600.00 v.s. the newer EL models today for 3300.00 is still something to take advantage of!
Don't go expecting all the vendors to drop their drawers for you and offer huge discounts, just because all their competitors are there with them under the same roof. Go to the show to find things you wont find anywhere else, or just to explore what else is out there. This is not Wholesale Sports on a Saturday afternoon, this is the world of odd and unusuals!

Grizzly Adams
03-27-2016, 08:25 AM
If you're not impressed by the biggest gunshow in western Canada, there may be no pleasing you.

Actually, more to be gained by attending smaller regional shows, just a change of venue for the Calgary show would be an improvement. Spruce Meadows is hosting major events now and way more accessible, including parking.

Grizz

Scottmisfits
03-27-2016, 08:36 AM
I was there early on Friday morning with my family and I got a good deal on a used shotgun. But I do agree with what's been said, don't go there looking for someone to bend over to make a sale. There was a lot of collectibles that were cool, seeing the high end stuff that I would need to sell my house to be able to afford, etc. I picked up some .22 from one place. It was the cheapest that I found it but it's their regular price. I saw the same box of 325 go from $28 up to $40 and anywhere in between. The regular price at Wholesale is $30. So not a great savings, but still enough to make me buy it.

This was my second gun show, first time here. I wasn't overly impressed with the other Calgary show, but this one was ok. Even my wife and son had fun at this one.

58thecat
03-27-2016, 09:00 AM
Always best to scope out on last day, find what you want, return at the last hour and barter, some don't want to hump all that crap out and will shave a few bucks off.
Trust me seen this all too many times.

CaberTosser
03-27-2016, 09:26 AM
It's always a spectacle witnessing some clown trying to absolutely gouge a vendor for 35% off retail on a brand new popular selling item just because they're at the show (usually I witness this at P&D's booth). These shoppers don't for a moment stop to consider the vendors considerable time and expense to get to the show. Let's add up the costs: table rental perhaps 10-12 tables at $15 for the last show I was at, though for the big show & venue it might be $20/each. So $200 cost there but that's the tip of the iceberg, there's fuel to and from their home base, for a big crew such as P&D there's more than one vehicle and certainly a cargo trailer (was the trailer purchased specifically for attending shows?). It's an overnight gig so there's hotels too.

Tables: $200
Gas :tow vehicle $110
Second vehicle $75
3 Hotel rooms Friday unless packing has them bushed and they also stay Saturday: $360-720
Meals: $360

Total $1105-1465 before any wages, trailer purchase or the large truck required for transporting all that heavy ammo. These are costs in addition to the regular costs of operating their brick & mortar store.

And let's not forget that the places with staff are paying their show employees while the store back home is still staffed. I forget how many there were besides Phil and Diane but it was at least two, so those fellows would probably add up to another grand in wages over the two days. How much are you offering for that penny-ante Ruger 10-22 again?

CaberTosser
03-27-2016, 09:39 AM
Actually, more to be gained by attending smaller regional shows, just a change of venue for the Calgary show would be an improvement. Spruce Meadows is hosting major events now and way more accessible, including parking.

Grizz

I think you're overlooking transit access and trusted in-house security teams for the venue overnight. That pile of inventory is a pretty significant temptation for bad guys, I recall feeling a bit reluctant to leave my stuff there overnight at previous shows, though I rationalized that if it was robbed the thieves would start at Wolverine, P&D and Prophet River and be too full to take from me :lol:.

Mind you, it could be argued that it might be an improvement if some of the attendee's who arrive on public transit didn't arrive at all :thinking-006:

58thecat
03-27-2016, 12:16 PM
It's always a spectacle witnessing some clown trying to absolutely gouge a vendor for 35% off retail on a brand new popular selling item just because they're at the show (usually I witness this at P&D's booth). These shoppers don't for a moment stop to consider the vendors considerable time and expense to get to the show. Let's add up the costs: table rental perhaps 10-12 tables at $15 for the last show I was at, though for the big show & venue it might be $20/each. So $200 cost there but that's the tip of the iceberg, there's fuel to and from their home base, for a big crew such as P&D there's more than one vehicle and certainly a cargo trailer (was the trailer purchased specifically for attending shows?). It's an overnight gig so there's hotels too.

Second vehicle $75
3 Hotel rooms Friday unless packing has them bushed and they also stay Saturday: $360-720

Total $1105-1465 before any wages, trailer purchase or the large truck required for transporting all that heavy ammo. These are costs in addition to the regular costs of operating their brick & mortar store.

And let's not forget that the places with staff are paying their show employees while the store back home is still staffed. I forget how many there were besides Phil and Diane but it was at least two, so those fellows would probably add up to another grand in wages over the two days. How much are you offering for that penny-ante Ruger 10-22 again?

All the cost of doing business, must be a passion, as it is with many, a hobby gone into a business. Some would say it is better than working for the man!:)

dannypee
03-27-2016, 12:40 PM

Second vehicle $75

I wasn't trying to gouge anyone I just felt that aside from the high end guns and brand new merchandise that the secondhand guns where extremely pricey ,I'm from the UK so I suppose I'm just used to events like the CLA game fair which also sells high end stuff in fact many a times I've sat in the H&H tent drinking beer having a great time,however there are many deals and secondhand guns are priced to sell ,when I sell rifles on this forum they go in hours sometimes minutes because in my eyes used is used and I price them as such . I completely apprieciate that there are costs which I would think would encourage vendors to shift secondhand guns at better prices,but maybe not ,it was a pretty interesting walk around though .

I do encourage anyone who maybe visiting the UK to maybe plan the trip to coincide with the CLA game fair it really is awesome a great four day event and you will need at least two days to get around it all 😊

CaberTosser
03-27-2016, 01:58 PM
As for pricing, many vendors will barter while some may not. Some might have the high prices listed to intentionally give wiggle room for bargaining. I was not referring to you specifically, I'm just recalling the 'special' ones I've witnessed at the show making donkey's of themselves. Having had tables at shows myself most shoppers are fine but a few have compulsions to bargain like a border collie has a tendency to herd. One wanker was so annoying and persistent with repeat visits and 50% offers that I told him I'd not sell to him regardless of price.

qwert
03-27-2016, 03:30 PM
snip
$15 for the last show I was at, though for the big show & venue it might be $20/each.
snip

IIRC, tables @ the small 1 day Thorncliffe shows are $15.
The commercial rate @ the big 2 (+1 setup) day Easter Show is ~$75, (non-commercial are $65.) more tables do not get as many extra admission ribbons so a large vendor may also need to purchase additional ribbons @ $25 for needed staff. IIRC the AACCA loses money on table rental, and the CS is by far the biggest winner from parking fees and hall rental. Electric power and internet are extra cost, and paying $15x2=30 for vehicle access to the building is pretty hard to avoid.

After every show there are comments from uninformed shooters expecting to be able to purchase for far less than real value. IMHO this is a totally unrealistic expectation. The value and price are determined by the free market, some sellers would rather keep their property as a better store of value than cash in a Bank, and buyers are free to both make any offer they like, or to walk away at no cost. The vendors do not owe the buyers any bargains, and the buyers are not required to purchase.

I always find 'stuff' I can use for very fair cost, but for me the real value is the people and wealth of information that most vendors are willing to provide for free.

I purchased a very accurate scale for a very fair price, but the real value was the great amount of information provided in a very short time by a person much more knowledgeable and experienced than I. I also got his contact information for future consultation.

Another vendor had a rare book on bullet swaging that he saved for me because I had purchased similar 'stuff' at other sales (some for more and some for far less than average cost) and he knew that I would not beat him up for any small saving.

I paid less than true value for an old Collet neck die (with some light corrosion) that I already had, do not need, and will probably loan or give to someone who has not tried them. The vendor told me that he had won several big meets and championships using only these dies, and he confirmed many of my thoughts on their advantages. He & I compared our sources and costs of purchasing Redding Competition neck bushing dies, and I hope he saves a lot of money buying from my supplier, whose prices are much better than his.

We are really making new associates and and friendships and renewing old ones. Many people stopped at my table that I would have much preferred to talk with, than haggle with a stranger over $5 on a set of dies, that I would rather give to a friend who could use them.

IMHO, Fun Shows are not about 'stuff' they are about people and knowledge.
I met several people that I very much hope to meet again soon for a lengthy discussion and beverage.

I did not get everything done that I had hoped to, and would gladly go to this same show next month.

Good Luck, YMMV.

dannypee
03-27-2016, 05:34 PM
As for pricing, many vendors will barter while some may not. Some might have the high prices listed to intentionally give wiggle room for bargaining. I was not referring to you specifically, I'm just recalling the 'special' ones I've witnessed at the show making donkey's of themselves. Having had tables at shows myself most shoppers are fine but a few have compulsions to bargain like a border collie has a tendency to herd. One wanker was so annoying and persistent with repeat visits and 50% offers that I told him I'd not sell to him regardless of price.

"Wanker" lol haven't heard that for a while 😄😄😄😄😄

wwbirds
03-27-2016, 05:51 PM
The "wanker" who said my Deluxe Ithaca Mag 10 I had listed for $995. was only worth about $500 where he was from. I gave him my card and told him to send me 10 of them in this condition when he got home.
the guy that bought my Superposed skeet for $895 asked me after the deal was done if I knew there was a similar shotgun about 5 rows over for $1450. and I said sure but we are listing to sell not to take back home and go to show after show with the same goods to look at.
i had a guy here today buying chukars who said he had a great show and sold all 10 of his guns. He had a BLR 308 on a nearby table for $450 that didnt last 2 hours. I saw lots of them at the show for $700-800. You just have to recognize who is there to sell and who is there to show (and show and show and show).
Rob

trapperdodge
03-27-2016, 05:51 PM
What I don't like are a table full of guns with no description, no price tag, 10 guys standing there trying to figure it all out and the vendor looking bored.
C'mon guys it's a business. Make it buyer friendly.

Big_Twitch
03-29-2016, 07:07 AM
Not as let down that i missed it now.:)