PDA

View Full Version : slave lake

PoorTurtle
02-24-2009, 06:29 PM
I am heading up to slave this weekend for the first time and could use some tips. any info would be a great help.

hal53
02-24-2009, 06:32 PM
check with Ed Astle at the Faust Hotel, been a few years , but great food and a wealth of fishing info

Cal
02-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Right now most of the action is in the west basin, jussard is your best bet for both accessibility and catching fish. I fish the east basin mostly, simply because I live here, but no way would I travel any distance at this time of year to fish it.

Safety D
02-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Fish Cutbank. It is awesome in the winter...

BEL
02-25-2009, 12:09 PM
I fished the Narrows this past weekend. First off you need a quad or snow machine to get out there. From where we parked it is about a 5 km ride to where we fished. The fishing was ok Friday afternoon and Saturday. Sunday was a dud. I would say 3 of us caught about 20 eyes Friday and 5 of us caught about 20 on Sat. Only 3 on Sunday. Good luck. BEL

PoorTurtle
02-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks guys, im exited to finally fish slave. we are staying in the ladyhawk cabins. any advise on things to bring would be helpfull. what bait /rigs are best to use there? how are the cabins? how thick is the ice, do i need a extention on the auger?

thanks again.

fishunter77
02-25-2009, 11:30 PM
How long do you think this lake will last with all the pressure?:confused:

Went up last summer and counted over 100 boats. Too bad there is not many lakes left in the province

Cal
02-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Not long buddy, not long. I fish the river, less pressure and I think there are some bigger fish in there. If you fish anywhere near the spillway however every so often a fish will float by belly up. Testament to some hillbilly's ignorence on proper fish handling. And then theres all the guys in the ice shacks that eat fish as they catch them regardless of size and still go home with their limit, the guys who try to store fish in cages underwater untill the fishing tournaments, the tournaments themselves are a bunch of BS, with all the culling that go's on. Not long at all.

Cal
02-26-2009, 08:31 AM
An extension is a realy good idea, I havnt been using one but I have to shovel the snow down right to the ice surface, even then sometimes I dont quite get the whole blade through the ice. You definatly want be very carefull to keep water off the carb in this weather which is tough when you need every inch of auger that you have.

prinny53
02-26-2009, 09:58 AM
How long do you think this lake will last with all the pressure?:confused:

Went up last summer and counted over 100 boats. Too bad there is not many lakes left in the province

So what do you propose about all this pressure? Close the lake to all sport fishing? Are people not supposed to fish at Slave because you counted 100 boats?????

Have you quit fishing because of the pressure?

PoorTurtle
02-26-2009, 10:29 AM
i started this thread for a little info on a lake i have never fished before. i just want to have a good trip with out having the, o i should have brought that with us situation.
yes most lakes in AB. are over pressured and if you want to talk about it start a new thread please. as for unlawfull taking fish or mishandling them, you shouldnt point fingers my way. not all guys in shacks are poaching and i take that as a insalt.
quote*(And then theres all the guys in the ice shacks that eat fish as they catch them regardless of size and still go home with their limit)

so if anyone has any real tips to help me out please do so.

FiveO
02-26-2009, 11:19 AM
I Like fishing Cutbank. Basically staight north of ladyhawk across the lake. Small spoon and a small minnow is my favorite you catch walters, jack and with this combo even jumbo perch. Im heading to Slave for 4 days later in March.

Good Luck

prinny53
02-26-2009, 11:26 AM
i started this thread for a little info on a lake i have never fished before. i just want to have a good trip with out having the, o i should have brought that with us situation.
yes most lakes in AB. are over pressured and if you want to talk about it start a new thread please. as for unlawfull taking fish or mishandling them, you shouldnt point fingers my way. not all guys in shacks are poaching and i take that as a insalt.
quote*(And then theres all the guys in the ice shacks that eat fish as they catch them regardless of size and still go home with their limit)

so if anyone has any real tips to help me out please do so.

We fished Joussard last weekend and did well in around 20ft of water. Most colors of plain jig head tipped with a medium minnow did the trick. Found that they hit hard for the early morning, late afternoon bite. The rest of the day was slow and spotty.

K44
02-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Stayed at Lady Hawk last wekend we rented all four cabins the new owners have some issues take an electric frying pan as the cooking facilitys suck. some of the cabins had no coffee cups some were missing utensils some of the barbques never had propane bottles the locations of the shacks they have on the ice were producing poor had to move around to find better fishing

Cal
02-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Sorry no offence poor turtle, I know lots of guys that have shacks, most of them dont eat undersized fish. It however does happen and more often in the shacks than out in the open where everyone can see. I beleive I have given you some actual tips as well as complain about the pressure so take it easy on me.