PDA

View Full Version : Hockey, Canada's Game?

RavYak
03-27-2016, 10:28 AM
I don't follow the NHL closely anymore but was just looking at current standings and couldn't help but think how pathetic it is that the 7 Canadian teams are in the bottom 10 of league standings and none of them are going to make the playoffs this year...

Obviously a lot of the good players are still Canadian but I think it is pretty sad that we don't even have one competitive team considering how emotionally involved most Canadian teams and fans are.

As an aside what teams will the Canadian fans be supporting this year? I would like to see Ovechkin get a ring considering how well their team has been playing this year.

hal53
03-27-2016, 10:37 AM
I don't follow the NHL closely anymore but was just looking at current standings and couldn't help but think how pathetic it is that the 7 Canadian teams are in the bottom 10 of league standings and none of them are going to make the playoffs this year...

Obviously a lot of the good players are still Canadian but I think it is pretty sad that we don't even have one competitive team considering how emotionally involved most Canadian teams and fans are.

As an aside what teams will the Canadian fans be supporting this year? I would like to see Ovechkin get a ring considering how well their team has been playing this year.
The majority of the players don't want to play for a Canadian team because, you guessed it, taxes ....and that came from a retired NHL'er

Astrocyte
03-27-2016, 10:37 AM
Yeah this year has been rough for all Canadian teams. Watching Montreal in the playoffs last year was fun though. And the infamous Toronto Bruins playoff series a few years ago that ended shockingly. Winnipeg made the playoffs last year too. But yeah this year has been horrid.

Still profitable though. Last time I checked Montreal and Toronto were still worth over 1 billion each. So there still is some "Canada's game" in there otherwise people would not bother. Look at Oilers games, they can be and continue to be awful but people still pay the $300 for a ticket. It's ludicrous but it won't stop.

Personally I am going to be cheering for Washington. Ovi should get that cup.

mich
03-27-2016, 11:14 AM
Junior hockey all the way

Dirty samsquanch
03-27-2016, 11:47 AM
Hockey is still Canada's game. Go watch it at in the small town arenas, at junior A and B and see the passion it inspires across our country. Just because our professional teams don't do well, doesn't mean that it's not our game.
Went to a junior B game the other night. What was lacking in skill and polish was made up for in fun and excitement! The rink was packed with with hooting hollering fans. It was 5 bucks well spent.
In my opinion, that is what the game is all about, not watching a bunch of millionaires chasing the puck around the ice.

58thecat
03-27-2016, 12:09 PM

Spengler cup...champions.
Olympic gold.
World juniors gold many times.

Who needs a dedicated team when the whole country is a team.

Oh you where referring to the show...go Canucks go!:)

Clgy_Dave2.0
03-27-2016, 12:22 PM
^THIS!!

Hockey is still Canada's game. Go watch it at in the small town arenas, at junior A and B and see the passion it inspires across our country. Just because our professional teams don't do well, doesn't mean that it's not our game.
Went to a junior B game the other night. What was lacking in skill and polish was made up for in fun and excitement! The rink was packed with with hooting hollering fans. It was 5 bucks well spent.
In my opinion, that is what the game is all about, not watching a bunch of millionaires chasing the puck around the ice.

I've pretty much stopped following NHL completely. We go to a few WHL games and enjoy the extra elbow room, the rink side seats, no beer lineups and cheap ticket prices.
But I go to around 30 Junior A games and enjoy that much more. The sad part though is the dwindling support some of these teams are getting. The two Calgary teams barely get 200 fans to a game and new players don't even want to play for them. Grande Prairie is on the verge of folding along with Junior B teams that can't keep going due to financial loss.
People seem to only want to be seen at the saddledome, see themselves on the jumbotron or on TV so they can show their friends what "superfans" they are.

ETOWNCANUCK
03-27-2016, 01:57 PM
When Bettman expanded the league to 30 teams it put a drain on the talent pool.

Now talk of places like Vegas having a team...it's ridiculous.

Not enough talent to go around.

Mediocre players receiving major salaries.

It's a joke.

Cut the league back to pre Bettman and you'll see hockey go back to the way it was, competitive and worth watching.

Less jobs to compete for, and it wouldn't matter if it's Edmonton or not,
Those players will want to play , for any team that will put a sweater on them.

Expansion ruined the league.

MountainTi
03-27-2016, 02:42 PM
The majority of the players don't want to play for a Canadian team because, you guessed it, taxes ....and that came from a retired NHL'er

How lower are taxes on the high income earners stateside? I've worked in the US and been paid out of the US, so paid federal and state taxes. I can say I was quite shocked how much I paid when looking at my first pay stub. It sure wasn't any less than here. Maybe the higher tax brackets are different? I'm not sure

mich
03-27-2016, 02:53 PM
Greed ruined the league. I haven't watched more than half a dozen NHL games since the first strike. There is more emotion and grit on a curling rink than an NHL one.

We have been a sponsor and supporter of Junior hockey for many years and have enjoyed it immensely. And we beat Dave's team......

hal53
03-27-2016, 03:04 PM
How lower are taxes on the high income earners stateside? I've worked in the US and been paid out of the US, so paid federal and state taxes. I can say I was quite shocked how much I paid when looking at my first pay stub. It sure wasn't any less than here. Maybe the higher tax brackets are different? I'm not sure
I am not sure, just passing along what I was told.. from someone who would know I would think

58thecat
03-27-2016, 03:42 PM
:thinking-006:

DiabeticKripple
03-27-2016, 03:59 PM
But look at the kings and Blackhawks roster, mostly Canadians. The Canadian teams aren't doing good this year, but there are tons of Canadian players in the playoffs.

bobcatguy
03-27-2016, 06:07 PM

Go Rebels 2 x 2 against Calgary to start the third coming up

Clgy_Dave2.0
03-27-2016, 06:50 PM
We have been a sponsor and supporter of Junior hockey for many years and have enjoyed it immensely. And we beat Dave's team......
Short lived I see. ;)

Newellknik
03-28-2016, 09:11 PM
Watch LA and San Jose

Then switch to Oilers - Ducks

Then go to Flames ....coyotes .

It will be clear to you why no Canadian teams in playoffs .

Say thank you Sports net .....for clearing that up .

mich
03-28-2016, 09:24 PM
Short lived I see. ;)

yep