PDA

View Full Version : Baofeng GT-3TP walkie talkie

Lerrooy
03-27-2016, 03:24 PM
Hey, getting real tired of the 2 way radios up her you can pick up at crappy tire and elsewhere, and you get out into the hills or hiking and the said 40km range is now down to 10 meters.

Looking at buying something from amazon or ebay from the states. Higher wattage and more distance. Cleaner sound etc.

Anyone own or operate one of these units that has something to say about them?

I like the fact they can be UHF or VHF so you can change your frequencies up depending what your doing and what the terrain is like.

Thanks

rugatika
03-27-2016, 03:49 PM
Hey, getting real tired of the 2 way radios up her you can pick up at crappy tire and elsewhere, and you get out into the hills or hiking and the said 40km range is now down to 10 meters.

Looking at buying something from amazon or ebay from the states. Higher wattage and more distance. Cleaner sound etc.

Anyone own or operate one of these units that has something to say about them?

I like the fact they can be UHF or VHF so you can change your frequencies up depending what your doing and what the terrain is like.

Thanks

Typically not that great in the bush. I have a Kenwood TK - 2212 (5w I believe) handheld and I'm lucky to get a couple miles from it in the bush (I'd say a mile is more typical...but it depends on terrain and bush of course, maybe 5 miles in the open...but that's pushing it.

Some of the other guys have chinese handhelds and they are even worse. Only real option is a truck mount vhf with antenna if you want to go more than a couple miles. (which is not an option if you're on foot...I understand)

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
03-27-2016, 09:26 PM
If you buy the gt3td, be aware that you are getting an 8whatt radio that has very limited frequency choices. You can modify this by deleting the existing format and reinstalling a different baofeng program so that you will have a ESS to all vhf and UHF frequencies or just order a gt3 mark 2. Most list for $63 Can. The TD model is the only one that comes in at 8 watts. Research some reviews on ham radio sites and you tube

Lerrooy
04-05-2016, 06:43 PM
so basically get the mark 2 then

is there a way to know which frequencies are not being used around you when out in the bush or hiking? or do most frequencies you use only have a certain distance they can cover?

the only thing im really confused on is picking frequencies

thanks

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
04-05-2016, 10:33 PM
Just ordered a GT 3 Mark 2 today for my neighbor. Got one with a 3800ma battery for $66.43 Canadian. Included in this price was a speaker mike too. Ebay numbers are 191585632109 for the radio and speaker mike was 180943953625. You can get the speaker mike for a couple dollars cheaper but I went with this one as it came from the same seller. This radio with the bigger battery is cheaper than the same radio with the regular battery. They are a decent radio and will help keep you safe on resource (logging) roads. I use them all the time on the highway too. Can program all the FRS and GMRS channels in as well as Marine radio channels-frequencies. Even has a built in FM radio and flashlight. All the info you need to "program" frequencies into channels can be found on you tube if you cannot decipher the coded Chinese to English instructions.