PDA

View Full Version : Gmc Sierra Broken leaf spring

fishnamed
03-27-2016, 03:44 PM
The back part of my center leaf spring fell off today. Has anybody else had this issue? It was on the rear passenger side. A google search showed that this is not common, but does happen, apperently GMC went to a 3 leaf system from their 5 leafs that they used to use.
A couple questions on this
1) is it safe to drive?
2) Where is a good place to take this to have it repaired.
3) Should i just have the broken leaf replaced, or replace the whole part?

MRM
03-27-2016, 03:53 PM
I had the same issue with my Tundra. Both leaf springs had broken leafs under 100,000 km and the truck has never seen more weight than camping gear.

Check Kijiji for replacement springs. There was a lot out there for my truck due to folks getting lift kits installed right off the showroom floor. Got new springs for 20% of the dealer price and had a few to choose from.

As far as safe, if you don’t have a load on, 1 leaf should not affect you too much. Make sure that the other half of the spring is wired up so it can’t swing into your tire until you get it fixed.

MRM

TROLLER
03-27-2016, 03:57 PM
STANDENS IN CALGARY

They will fix it up and fix it right at a decent price as well.

Cannot say enough good about their work.

dale7637
03-27-2016, 03:59 PM
If you broke a spring, take a real good look at your shocks. They are the most common cause of springs breaking.

denpacc
03-27-2016, 04:06 PM
STANDENS IN CALGARY

X2, never had an issue with Standen's and they've always done a good job at a reasonable price.

roger
03-27-2016, 05:58 PM
With all the trucks around running big lift kits I'm sure there is a set in some bodies garage taking up space..
maybe take an eye to eye measurement, model year data and try the ao buy and sell.
consider cutting the old u bolts out and using new u bolts on assm for peace of mind.

xxclaro
03-27-2016, 05:59 PM
My GMC had the same thing, I took both spring packs out and replaced with 5 leaf spring packs. Back end sits a bit higher now but not too bad. I had City Spring in Edmonton make them up for me, pretty reasonable prices.

Yotesnare
03-27-2016, 07:36 PM
I believe there was a recal on an issue with spring packs in some GM models. Give GM a call and see what they say. Costs nothing if it's covered and you might have other recalls you don't know about that can get fixed at the same time.

Paul

ManitobaSlim
03-27-2016, 07:46 PM
My brother and I both had broken leafs in our 1 ton cummins. His was lifted mines not and I have 3 broken. In my trucks defence I have lots of km and lots of weight.

Sfscott
03-27-2016, 08:42 PM
My 2010 Tundra broke springs around 100,000k, Toyota wanted 2500.00 just to supply the springs, Standans supplied new springs, added air bags, and installed it all for $1600.00 total, Truck was in and out in a matter of hours.

Kristopher10
03-27-2016, 09:26 PM
If the truck is fairly high mileage I would look at replacing both springs to avoid sagging one way or the other. If you do, however, decide to only replace one, at least its the easy side to get to, you don't have to mess with the fuel tank (which is a pain in the a** when you break a driver side spring on your way out of the fuel station - trust me lol).

Puma
03-27-2016, 09:52 PM
I broke one on my YJ front. There is a spring place in the little business park across from the Aero Museum,(east) that was inexpensive and did a nice job.

The Fisherman Guy
03-27-2016, 09:58 PM
STANDENS IN CALGARY

The springs in my GMC Sierra were worn out, so I purchased new ones from Standens this past fall.

Replaced them myself with a buddy, it was a pretty simple job. Got the springs and hardware from Standens for less than $300.

Soak the old bolts in penetrating fluid for a couple days before attempting to remove them. The bolts have a tapered chamfer to them, so they only go out the way they went in (in case you strip the head off the bolt and try to air hammer it out).

A good buddy who helped me do it, is a mechanic, but it was very simple to do. As mentioned, if you are doing the springs, check the shocks as well, might at well replace them while you're at it.

Beardless
03-27-2016, 10:19 PM
We used to do a pile of these at the dealer level, I thought there was a special policy on them and GM was replacing them for customers. Might be worth the call to see if there is a bulletin on them. :)

Scottmisfits
03-27-2016, 10:35 PM
They will all break over time. I had it happen to me but it was covered under warranty. If not, my vote is Standens as well. Just be prepared to measure everything for the guy. When I called and took mine in to see what it would cost, he told me that they don't have standard stock replacement dimensions and that I would need to measure everything myself. I'm. O mechanic so I walked out and fought for warranty. I would really hope that was a one time issue with Standens though.

does it ALL outdoors
03-28-2016, 03:06 AM
Can get much more beefy ones through aftermarket and a lot cheaper too. Helper springs are a great and economical option as well as are air bags

Big Grey Wolf
03-28-2016, 09:02 AM
My guess is that GM etc are buying cheaper springs from China. If you use car bodies melted into steel billets all the other metals migrate to middle of the billet. When it is rolled into thin bar stock it makes a very poor quality product. It is okay for rebar but not for high stress product like leaf spring. Alta steel had problem with these billets in past years.

cranky
03-28-2016, 09:31 AM
My guess is that GM etc are buying cheaper springs from China. If you use car bodies melted into steel billets all the other metals migrate to middle of the billet. When it is rolled into thin bar stock it makes a very poor quality product. It is okay for rebar but not for high stress product like leaf spring. Alta steel had problem with these billets in past years.

Bingo. My thoughts exactly. All kinds of things that shouldnt break as soon as they do are happening too frequently on the semis including trailers these days.

kevinhits
03-28-2016, 10:30 AM
STANDENS IN CALGARY

x2

Sneeze
03-28-2016, 11:01 AM
The back part of my center leaf spring fell off today. Has anybody else had this issue? It was on the rear passenger side. A google search showed that this is not common, but does happen, apperently GMC went to a 3 leaf system from their 5 leafs that they used to use.
A couple questions on this
1) is it safe to drive?
2) Where is a good place to take this to have it repaired.
3) Should i just have the broken leaf replaced, or replace the whole part?

Its actually a ridiculously common problem on around 2010-2011 model years.

I am not sure your location so I can't comment on the best place to take it - but there can be issues driving. The broken section likes to rattle out, hit the pavement and catch / kick up and destroy your rear bumper/quarter panel or the cars windshield behind you.