PDA

View Full Version : Off topic

parfleche
03-29-2016, 08:15 AM
Looking to get the bearing and seals pressed out and pressed on of a Toyota Tacoma 2005 rear axle , Can anyone help as to a reliable place to get this done OTHER than Toyota? They want over $600.00 per axle even if I remove and replace the axle! I have tried Pats drive line but they only have 50% success.Thx

Bergerboy
03-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Looking to get the bearing and seals pressed out and pressed on of a Toyota Tacoma 2005 rear axle , Can anyone help as to a reliable place to get this done OTHER than Toyota? They want over $600.00 per axle even if I remove and replace the axle! I have tried Pats drive line but they only have 50% success.Thx

Does it need bearings for sure or just seals? The seals are very easy to replace. How many km's on it?

skidderman
03-29-2016, 10:01 AM
Any place that does brakes like Midas for example.

parfleche
03-29-2016, 10:11 AM
It has 230.000 km on it , Only the seal is leaking , But I figured I could perhaps kill two birds with one stone! I am blown away with Red Deer Toyota,s price to do this.
! It appears not to matter whether you do the labor yourself,with Toyota, Pats drive line charge about $125.00 to do this and the problem with them is they don"t have the proper tool and only have 50% success.
Fountain Tire charge four hours BUT have to go to Pats to press the bearings on and off.
So why it takes Toyota EIGHT hrs to press off and on WHEN I remove and replace the axle is beyond me! But that was what was quoted yesterday by their service dept.$1400.00 and eight hours , To ONLY press them off and on! WOW !! Apparently a special tool??

sikwhiskey
03-29-2016, 12:42 PM
Make sure your breather vent is clear after replacing seals.

Bergerboy
03-29-2016, 01:27 PM
It has 230.000 km on it , Only the seal is leaking , But I figured I could perhaps kill two birds with one stone! I am blown away with Red Deer Toyota,s price to do this.
! It appears not to matter whether you do the labor yourself,with Toyota, Pats drive line charge about $125.00 to do this and the problem with them is they don"t have the proper tool and only have 50% success.
Fountain Tire charge four hours BUT have to go to Pats to press the bearings on and off.
So why it takes Toyota EIGHT hrs to press off and on WHEN I remove and replace the axle is beyond me! But that was what was quoted yesterday by their service dept.$1400.00 and eight hours , To ONLY press them off and on! WOW !! Apparently a special tool??

The Tacomas notoriously have poor rear wheel seals. Do it yourself it takes a couple hours. You will need a bunch of brake kleen to clean up the oily mess on the brakes on that side and will need to replace the brake pads. They sell a shop manual at Canadian tire that is very good and will walk you through all the steps. Just change the seals. Only change the bearings if you have to. The differentual also requires oil with additives for the limited slip. Get it from Toyota. Let me know if you need any other information on this. I did 2 seals on my Tacoma until I sold it with 300000km on it.

Kristopher10
03-29-2016, 07:44 PM
If there is nothing wrong with the bearings I would just replaced the seals.

parfleche
03-29-2016, 08:46 PM
Thanks Berger et al I will be heading to Wetaskiwin to get the bearings seals pressed off and on ! WAY cheaper than Red Deer! Only a bit over $400.00 total I buy the parts wherever.Yes I know seals are a cinch , my problem was the bearings , Maybe nothing wrong but better safe than sorry .
Thanks