PDA

View Full Version : Spray or Kananaskis?!

icefisherman
02-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Thinking about heading up to either spray lakes or upper/lower kananaskis lakes this weekend. Anyone ice fished on these lakes before?? Any info would be great. Thanks.

Freddydog
02-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Spray is good for small lakers. I go near the driftwood parking lot. Lower K is good for bulls just watch the open water near the dam. I tried upper K only once. I caught only one bull. There were however some interesting transparent shrimp crawling around on the bottom of the lake. Something to watch when you are waiting for fish. I know that my humminbird picks up fish on the bottom in over 100 feet of water???? I have caught nice 'bows and cutts in upper K in the summer. Hope this helps...

nicemustang
02-25-2009, 02:10 PM
A bait ban on the Kananaskis lakes makes it really hard to fish in the winter and zero limit on bulls make it even more disappointing. I've never bothered in the winter but have shore fished on the upper k in summer and had lots of hits on five of diamonds.

Spray is good, there are some good sized lakers in there as well. 3 limit. Whitefish too that are easy to catch. 65+ to 85 FOW using buzz bombs or tube jigs (white) tipped with smelt (can't use minnows). 20 - 35 FOW for whites on the west side of lake. Watch for weather as it can be really windy and brutally cold if you don't have tent.

Kingfisher
02-25-2009, 02:34 PM
I was at U Kananaskis Lake on Sunday. All I got was a cold arse and an empty tank of gas. In my truck that = -$80

Not exactally my idea of a good day. Next time I'm going to try Chain or somewhere that has fish. If I'm going to spend the money on gas and freeze my arse off, at the very least I want to be catching fish.

icefisherman
02-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Ya thats kind of what I was thinking about Kananaskis. Not getting good feedback on those two lakes. Thinking spray might be a good idea then! Give it a try.

Chain is good if you want to catch 5-8 in by the dozens, can be good times for sure.

nicemustang
02-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Chain is good if you want to catch 5-8 in by the dozens, can be good times for sure.

Bah! Then you're doing something wrong....I've never caught a 5"er there, and not many under 10" and mostly around 12" and some up to 14". We never keep any small ones. Use a bigger lure.

Lethalconnection
02-25-2009, 05:05 PM
IVe never fished spray but ive fished both Upper and Lower and those lakes arent for the impatient hard lakes to fish been skunked there more then a few times but it usually pays off when u hook into a fish.

Outcasts
02-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Just fished the kananaskis lakes for the first time a week ago, buddy was right about the patience stuff, and if your into just catching fish not size hit spray your almost guaranteed a panfry if you have smelts. Id post the pic of my Bull but i dont know what a URL is?

d bowhunter
02-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Good day guys I have fished upper K many times there are still a few Rain bows in there, the cutties are getting a little better. This year I have caught 1 rainbow and 3 cutties 5 bulls pritty slow comparied to the old days. The lower is very good just before and just after the ice comes off, I talked to the bieoligist 2 years ago he found a 10 lb cuttie on the shore. There is some very big rainbows in there. Good luck D sorry about the spelling