PDA

View Full Version : AWA- Confirms they are ANTI-FISHING

McLeod
03-31-2016, 08:53 AM
While I have always thought this group did some good work and had some very good intentions I can no longer support them financially. They have clearly established that they are anti-fishing and in fact they want to see more watersheds along the Eastern slopes closed not just the Pembina watershed.

pikergolf
03-31-2016, 08:56 AM
You're going to have to provide some background information and a link if you want to make such a broad accusation.

yetiseeker
03-31-2016, 09:23 AM
While I have always thought this group did some good work and had some very good intentions I can no longer support them financially. They have clearly established that they are anti-fishing and in fact they want to see more watersheds along the Eastern slopes closed not just the Pembina watershed.

https://albertawilderness.ca/awa-nr-positive-alberta-fisheries-recovery-actions/

The link above will take you to the AWA news release. When I read the release, I don't get the "Anti-Fishing" as you state. Yes, they potentially want to close additional sections of the fishery, but for the future sustainability of "at risk" fisheries.

Much better than just letting resource companies come into the area and exploit the systems until no fish exist anymore.

It's a sad state in Alberta that measures like this need to implemented.

Bemoredog
03-31-2016, 10:54 AM
Yea. You're certainly over-reacting here. If anything AWA is more concerned with habitat preservation since this is identified as the greatest long-term threat to Alberta's fish populations, not over fishing.

Either way, shutting down a fishery because it's under immense pressure and is showing significant population declines makes good sense. The other option of continuing to fish it is asinine to the highest.

A good read for everyone: https://albertawilderness.ca/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/20151000_ar_wla_fishcrisis_lfitch.pdf

McLeod
03-31-2016, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE=Bemoredog;3189004]Yea. You're certainly over-reacting here. If anything AWA is more concerned with habitat preservation since this is identified as the greatest long-term threat to Alberta's fish populations, not over fishing.

Either way, shutting down a fishery because it's under immense pressure and is showing significant population declines makes good sense. The other option of continuing to fish it is asinine to the highest.

1. The fishery is NOT under immense pressure .

2. There is NO plan. I am all for habitat rehabilitation but there is NO plan.
No budget and no plan for repairing and eliminating of industrial damage to the watershed.

Andy44
03-31-2016, 01:47 PM

Where are you sources on that?

Here's an actual source you can read over for yourself. http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/fisheries-management/fish-sustainability-index/fsi-species-maps/arctic-grayling-fsi.aspx

Bemoredog
03-31-2016, 02:13 PM

2. There is NO plan. I am all for habitat rehabilitation but there is NO plan.
No budget and no plan for repairing and eliminating of industrial damage to the watershed.

Why are you so butt hurt about this dude? Are you actually angry about the protection of a threatened natural resource? I mean, really? I'm just trying to understand where you're even coming from with this resentment.

To your points:

It seems that the declining population of grayling probably contradicts your first point. If you can actually bring arguments or evidence forward that would cast doubt on this, feel free. Until then you're just making baseless assertions.

I get what you're trying to say about there being no plan--but there is a plan, however lacklustre it might appear, and that plan is to stop ****ing fishing the Pembina. It's not the perfect plan or even guaranteed to help the fishery recover, but it is literally the very least that can be done. I would like to see more done on this front, but the fact is that I agree with the principle of the plan (i.e., rebuild fishery) although like you I disagree with choice of methods (i.e., no more fishing).

More effective steps could absolutely be taken. But it's probably up to us anglers to demand that the Gov. take these steps. Nobody else really cares about the fish.

McLeod
03-31-2016, 02:18 PM
Where are you sources on that?

Here's an actual source you can read over for yourself. http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/fisheries-management/fish-sustainability-index/fsi-species-maps/arctic-grayling-fsi.aspx

And what point are you referring to. I have fished those waters since 1978 so I
can tell you that over harvest of grayling was because it was allowed in the regulations. It went to Catch and release but it should have happened in 1990.
Elimination of angling will not help the Grayling there in fact it will do more harm if you don't address the Brook trout issue but most importantly deal with restoring habitat and preventing further habitat loss.

Again where is the specific plan and the budget associated with it.

Poppa
03-31-2016, 02:18 PM
I was curious about just how misleading the thread title was...."Confirms It's Anti-Fishing".......and I'm thinking "Really? They actually came out and said that? Odd..."

Newellknik
03-31-2016, 10:41 PM
That is the new govt agenda ,they believe they were elected
Solely by the huggers . There doesn't have to be a plan
Once it's closed it will never be open ....your kids won't live
Long enough to fish the Pembina again.
Closing and denying access is what passes for management,
It's called being Suzukified . This is their idea of saving the planet .
This is the one area that the. Dippers and the Cons think along
Parallel lines .

ecsuplander
03-31-2016, 11:04 PM
It should be noted that it was research conducted by the previous government that described the upper Pembina as"In 2014, the Pembina River watershed was rated by the Alberta government as having a ‘very low’ current arctic grayling population density and ‘very high’ need for habitat protection and overharvest protection. So the current government is just following a prudent course of action based on that data.

Newellknik
03-31-2016, 11:13 PM
The question is .....is the AWA one of those hoax charities ,
Lots of paper , lots of yaking , but no true substance .

The great scientific minds of this country have poo pooed them
As being a scam .

https://friendsofsciencecalgary.wordpress.com/2014/09/16/uncharitable-rejection-lost-in-the-alberta-wilderness/

Get ready for sheiiite storm of these kind govt craziness . If you want to
Fish and hunt buy Sask land while you still can .

Marty S
04-01-2016, 07:40 AM
http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/applause/smileys-applause-431206.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

Poo.. Poo on the AWA!

And they get to have a say in what we do with OUR sportsman's money in the ACA? They got us in bed with the enemy, and seems like there's nothing anybody can do about it, especially when a significant portion of our ranks got brainwashed into thinking it's all good.

McLeod
04-01-2016, 08:08 AM
It should be noted that it was research conducted by the previous government that described the upper Pembina as"In 2014, the Pembina River watershed was rated by the Alberta government as having a ‘very low’ current arctic grayling population density and ‘very high’ need for habitat protection and overharvest protection. So the current government is just following a prudent course of action based on that data.

Again.. What is the this prudent course of action ?..There is NO COURSE of action other than to say lets just shut it down it will fix itself. No it won't !

Bemoredog
04-01-2016, 08:14 AM
The question is .....is the AWA one of those hoax charities ,
Lots of paper , lots of yaking , but no true substance .

The great scientific minds of this country have poo pooed them
As being a scam .

https://friendsofsciencecalgary.wordpress.com/2014/09/16/uncharitable-rejection-lost-in-the-alberta-wilderness/

Get ready for sheiiite storm of these kind govt craziness . If you want to
Fish and hunt buy Sask land while you still can .

Newell, the Friends of Science are not a credible scientific organization. It's completely dishonest to say that they represent the great scientific minds of this country. These guys are a fringe group of scientists and are not good representatives of current empirical knowledge.

Bemoredog
04-01-2016, 08:27 AM
Again.. What is the this prudent course of action ?..There is NO COURSE of action other than to say lets just shut it down it will fix itself. No it won't !

Calm down before you have an aneurysm. Like I said before. It's a much better course of action than to continue fishing it. You can't honestly disagree with that. It also decreases human traffic which contributes to habitat destruction and erosion/increased levels of silt.

Instead of bitching on an internet forum I looked into this a bit. The province does indeed plan to carry out habitat restoration--this is apparent from any of the news releases that I can only assume you've read. What specifically they are going to do nobody knows yet. They need some time to plan. Seems pretty normal to me and nothing to have a heart attack over. This habitat was destroyed slowly over the last few decades, it's totally unreasonable to expect it to be fixed overnight.

And it is a fact that the frightening scenario facing the Pembina and it's Grayling population was well documented and made known to previous governments as early as the 1990s. Nothing significant was done. Now they've taken some serious first steps and you're upset that it might mean some sacrifices to your recreational activities. How can you be so near-sighted?

Newellknik
04-02-2016, 07:41 AM
You have fallen into the same old trap . Your imperious tone ,
futile attempts to belittle long time members is not only insulting
but indicates youth and likely a failed degree in something area
like teaching . Your stay here will likely be short lived and unsuccessful.
Your sole achievement so far is a total lack of credibility solidified
By your style or lack there of .
FYI ....the friends of science are as credible as yourself and the AWA .

McLeod
04-03-2016, 07:54 AM
Calm down before you have an aneurysm. Like I said before. It's a much better course of action than to continue fishing it. You can't honestly disagree with that. It also decreases human traffic which contributes to habitat destruction and erosion/increased levels of silt.

Instead of bitching on an internet forum I looked into this a bit. The province does indeed plan to carry out habitat restoration--this is apparent from any of the news releases that I can only assume you've read. What specifically they are going to do nobody knows yet. They need some time to plan. Seems pretty normal to me and nothing to have a heart attack over. This habitat was destroyed slowly over the last few decades, it's totally unreasonable to expect it to be fixed overnight.

And it is a fact that the frightening scenario facing the Pembina and it's Grayling population was well documented and made known to previous governments as early as the 1990s. Nothing significant was done. Now they've taken some serious first steps and you're upset that it might mean some sacrifices to your recreational activities. How can you be so near-sighted?. As you no nothing about this situation I will just pass in your comments as irrelevant. You missed the whole point. If you had said yes there us a plan and outlined details and how it would actually impact the current situation then at least your comments would be respected.