PDA

View Full Version : mounting fish finder transducer

fish99
04-01-2016, 09:07 PM
bought a new crestliner 1850 any pictures or ideas where to mount the transducer. thanks in advance.

EZM
04-01-2016, 09:58 PM
Answer depends on the type of transducer;

- a large side imaging transducer needs to be tucked up a little higher, (compared to the bottom edge of the hull) to protect it from debris and sticks that easily get hung up on the larger transducer. Also it should be toward the centerline of the boat to give you a better side image in relation to the centerline of the boat.

- a standard transducer which should be set up about half way between the centerline and edge of hull where the water turbulence is not an issue for better high speed readings where it stays "wet". I found the best readings to be in that general area, between the strakes at the bottom of the hull. This transducer should be lower (or proud of) the bottom of the hull.

Also - I would absolutely use a transducer mounting board. Put it in place with 2 screws, and some sealant, and you will never need to drill holes through the boat again. After that everything attaches to that board - You can exchange transducers, add more transducers, upgrade your unit, and reinstall new transducers as you are mounting to the board - and not drilling more holes in your hull.

In the attached pictures - I have 2 transducers mounted - I now have a few more.

huntsfurfish
04-01-2016, 11:59 PM
Answer depends on the type of transducer;

Also - I would absolutely use a transducer mounting board. Put it in place with 2 screws, and some sealant, and you will never need to drill holes through the boat again. After that everything attaches to that board - You can exchange transducers, add more transducers, upgrade your unit, and reinstall new transducers as you are mounting to the board - and not drilling more holes in your hull.

In the attached pictures - I have 2 transducers mounted - I now have a few more.

Agree with the mounting board. Never know when you might want to add more.

http://s1229.photobucket.com/user/camerashy14/ducers/story

deschambault
04-02-2016, 07:16 AM
I agree totally on the mounting board - I didn't use on and I now have way more filled holes in my transom than I want. It took me a few tries before I found the spot where I wouldn't lose bottom at high speed.

PerchBuster
04-02-2016, 11:21 AM
Instead of a mounting board I used a product called Sternmate. No holes to drill at all! Attaches to boat with a heavy duty epoxy and I'm 5 years in trouble free. Also has an adaptor plate that you can mount multiple transducers in to. It's a great product and highly recommend it. Why drill holes if you don't have to!

fish99
04-02-2016, 02:06 PM
great ideas and pictures , thanks guys . i have plastic puck board now to mount on the transom of the boat . i was thinking of using a construction adhesive to mount the plastic board . any ideas on this. donot really wanting to drill holes in new boat .

PerchBuster
04-02-2016, 03:57 PM
great ideas and pictures , thanks guys . i have plastic puck board now to mount on the transom of the boat . i was thinking of using a construction adhesive to mount the plastic board . any ideas on this. donot really wanting to drill holes in new boat .

www.stermate.com
Click link to check it all out. You can order from Fishntech in Quebec. I haven't been disappointed with this system yet. Good luck!

EZM
04-02-2016, 04:58 PM
The only issue with the sternmate is ....... if you mount it behind a strake, or on any place where the water isn't clean (no bubbles, turbulence) then what?

I prefer the board becuase I can move the transducer over let or right from 1/4" or 9" and can go higher or lower 1/4" to 4" if needed.

The only holes you are making is into the plastic board - which don't penetrate the hull - and, in some cases, like the kingboard I purchased, they seem to heal up.

Once the sternmate is in place ........ you are committed to that spot.

PerchBuster
04-02-2016, 05:08 PM
The only issue with the sternmate is ....... if you mount it behind a strake, or on any place where the water isn't clean (no bubbles, turbulence) then what?

I prefer the board becuase I can move the transducer over let or right from 1/4" or 9" and can go higher or lower 1/4" to 4" if needed.

The only holes you are making is into the plastic board - which don't penetrate the hull - and, in some cases, like the kingboard I purchased, they seem to heal up.

Once the sternmate is in place ........ you are committed to that spot.

Well, I first had someone else drive while I observed the flow coming off the back of my boat at moderate speed to determine optimal mounting area in clean water. Worked great. If in doubt they have the SternmateDuo which is like a 10" long adapter plate, infinitely adjustable, which can accommodate multiple transducers. Impossible to get it wrong. Pretty well an invincible set up in my book.

huntsfurfish
04-02-2016, 08:52 PM
Back of my boat.

Hmm. pic doesnt show without going to photobucket.

Trying tinypic.

http://i66.tinypic.com/mjxont.jpg

huntsfurfish
04-02-2016, 09:09 PM
Woo hoo going with tiny pic from now on.:)

EZM
04-02-2016, 11:19 PM
Back of my boat.

Trying tinypic.

What are the rail thingy's? I am curious ..... seems like a good idea.

The picture I posted was old - I have 4 transducer now (5 including the front one off the trolling motor I guess) - AND I thought that was excessive - but your transom takes the cake !!!!

How do you deal with interference? or are you setting them up to be able to turn them on/off or using different frequencies? just curious.

Jamie Black R/T
04-03-2016, 07:13 AM

Holy smokes remind me to wear lead underwear if i ever get invited fishin with you lol

Jamie Black R/T
04-03-2016, 07:18 AM
What are the rail thingy's? I am curious ..... seems like a good idea.

https://www.fishntech.com/transom_transducer_holder.html

Looks similar

huntsfurfish
04-03-2016, 11:00 AM
I use the rails to move unused transducers out of the water. Less drag.

With the Humminbirds I can only use one at a time because of the inability to select only one frequency. Can control by which I plug in to the unit.

Lowrance can use 3 or 4 at the same time because I can select the frequency. Getting so there is no interference now.

TM150M at 105
LSS2 at 455
P66 at 50
HDI at 800

In place of LSS2/P66 can run LSS1/83,200 also

Still testing though.

Can also plug in which ever ducers I want on Lowrance units too.

Run either 80lb terrova with Ipilot link or 80lb Xi5 pinpoint GPS with Gateway on interchangeable mount.

At the moment there are 6 lowrance and 4 humminbird ducers but am thinking of removing 2 humminbirds.

huntsfurfish
04-03-2016, 11:05 AM
Here are the mounts. They work well(at least for me).

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MARINE-ALUMINIUM-TRANSOM-MOUNT-ADJUST-TRANSDUCER-BILGE-BAIT-PUMP-SMALL-BRACKET-/311140975290?hash=item48717282ba:g:4BQAAOSwr81URhD u&vxp=mtr

Have ordered twice for a total of 12 and the shipping was pretty quick.

huntsfurfish
04-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Exploring ways to mount a transducer on the bow but not on the Trolling motor.

There is a company that makes something for that but about $100.00 US plus want $65.00 US for shipping.

Will take pics when completed. Hoping to be able to run and map with both Low. and Hum. at the same time at least in shallow. And if not will at least have 2d/down scan/side scan in reel time at the bow.

huntsfurfish
04-03-2016, 11:23 AM
Sorry fish99 for the hijack.

fish99
04-03-2016, 06:20 PM
thanks guys for ideas mounted puck plastic board today and wired in new hummingbird helix 7 gps can not wait to try it out.

benamen
04-09-2016, 08:21 PM
This location works well with my 1850. Just need to lift the engine a bit for side imaging when trolling.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160410/8349362079f5d58d1989e86d5ec02667.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160410/dbbacdc58b0bdc97f6195c4526aa2380.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

fish99
04-10-2016, 09:18 PM
the new helix 7 worked at all speeds up to 50 mph.

huntsfurfish
04-10-2016, 10:11 PM
Awesome, thats good to hear.

EZM
04-11-2016, 07:49 AM

Does your unit have side imaging? (the large transducer).

LutherDLG
04-11-2016, 09:51 AM

Any no pictures of the new boat?? :bad_boys_20:

Curious to hear the mount location that worked for you - I'll be doing the same thing a little later this year.

neilsledder
04-11-2016, 12:29 PM
Anyone know of a bulkhead or something to go throught the back of the boat? I was going to mount my new fish finder this weekend. But when I looked at the cable for the transducer the plug is huge! I would need to drill a 7/8"-1" hole to get the cable through. It's going on a Harborcraft welded jet boat so I can't even sneak the wire up a king side of the motor to make it look nice. Sorry if this has been covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cube
04-11-2016, 02:36 PM
Anyone know of a bulkhead or something to go throught the back of the boat? I was going to mount my new fish finder this weekend. But when I looked at the cable for the transducer the plug is huge! I would need to drill a 7/8"-1" hole to get the cable through. It's going on a Harborcraft welded jet boat so I can't even sneak the wire up a king side of the motor to make it look nice. Sorry if this has been covered.

Where does the steering and throttle go through on your boat?

neilsledder
04-11-2016, 02:43 PM
Where does the steering and throttle go through on your boat?

There's a pipe that has the steering cable through it, but I don't think there's enough room to get the plug through with the cable.

neilsledder
04-12-2016, 10:16 AM
My neighbour has the idea I should cut the cable then just solder the cable back together. That we I don't need to drill a big hole. I told him he's dumb lol. I am will to bet that would cause interference and make the fish finder not work. Am I wrong?

Andy44
04-12-2016, 10:36 AM
My neighbour has the idea I should cut the cable then just solder the cable back together. That we I don't need to drill a big hole. I told him he's dumb lol. I am will to bet that would cause interference and make the fish finder not work. Am I wrong?

I would definitely not cut the cable. If you look at all the pictures in this thread you'll notice that all the cables are going from the transducer up and over the side of the boat, not through a hole in the hull.

huntsfurfish
04-12-2016, 01:42 PM

To help tidy it up you can use clam shell vents to cover the hole. One on each side(point up). Drill larger than needed so you can get another cable through with one already in. Locate above the water line.:);)

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Stainless-Steel-Clam-Shell-Cover-large&i=79764&r=view&from=grid#

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=5206&familyName=Sea-Dog+Stainless+Steel+Midget+Clam+Shell+Vents

You can always silicone the hole up if you wish too. Covers make it look better though.

And to avoid drilling lots of holes, use a transducer board.

http://www.amazon.com/Rig-Rite-Manufacturing-910-Transducer/dp/B001PRVPQU?ie=UTF8&keywords=Rig%20Rite%20910&qid=1460490674&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Mount vertically only need to drill holes above waterline and can attach cable to board ending with clams on top. And will allow you to mount 2-3 transducers if you want.

neilsledder
04-12-2016, 03:59 PM
My boat was good for mounting a transducer, it has a plate there that's made to screw it to. Just no hole. Going to coach works after work to see what they use and have for there jet boats.

fish99
04-13-2016, 06:02 PM
Any no pictures of the new boat?? :bad_boys_20:

Curious to hear the mount location that worked for you - I'll be doing the same thing a little later this year.

a few pictures of new boat and transducer location.

RavYak
04-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Back of my boat.

Trying tinypic.

You sir have an addiction...

I could see a guy have say 4 transducers but that is just ridiculous right there.

huntsfurfish
04-13-2016, 09:56 PM

I could see a guy have say 4 transducers but that is just ridiculous right there.

True dat.

huntsfurfish
04-13-2016, 09:58 PM
The drag would be appreciable, likely around 2-3kph. Doesn't your sonar network?

Downrigger + Sonar (2) + maybe an extra one for something else for kicks = 4, it's possible to share most of it. Additional heads can be networked.

Finding smooth water to put them in must be interesting :-)

Welded Crestliner, not a problem.:);)

huntsfurfish
04-14-2016, 11:32 AM
So you have a Chineless Crestliner?

Have had to adjust a couple. Not a major problem though.

Run HDS units networked, run humminbird units networked. Run Motorguide with HDS, and Minn kota with humminbird. And dont run all at once:).
And as said, I can raise and lower transducers as I need them.

neilsledder
04-14-2016, 03:12 PM

When I first seen this picture I thought it was a gag photo lol.

EZM
04-15-2016, 10:45 AM
I'm still thinking it is. Maybe he couldn't make his mind up between Hummingbird and Lowrance. :-)

It's not that - he's just a little more "toy crazy" compared to the rest of us.

I am running 3 head units, 4 transducers on the stern, 1 at the bow all on network and I feel like I'm getting out of control ......

But after seeing Huntsfurfish's set up ...... he's my new hero.

He has inspired me. (and this is no BS).

I was thinking that adding a Lowrance unit for "community map sharing" as a second chart plotter ( bringing my total of head units up to 4) was too much - but heck ........ now I'm doing it for sure !!!!

Just knowing someone is sicker than you makes me feel better about myself!!!:)

RavYak
04-15-2016, 11:03 AM

Lol, it is going to be nice seeing my fishing buddy out with his new Helix fish finder on his kayak. Mine is big but that thing is massive lol.

huntsfurfish
04-15-2016, 11:22 AM
I'm still thinking it is. Maybe he couldn't make his mind up between Hummingbird and Lowrance. :-)

Each has its good features, This way I have the best of both.:)

huntsfurfish
04-15-2016, 11:29 AM
It's not that - he's just a little more "toy crazy" compared to the rest of us.

I am running 3 head units, 4 transducers on the stern, 1 at the bow all on network and I feel like I'm getting out of control ......

But after seeing Huntsfurfish's set up ...... he's my new hero.

He has inspired me. (and this is no BS).

I was thinking that adding a Lowrance unit for "community map sharing" as a second chart plotter ( bringing my total of head units up to 4) was too much - but heck ........ now I'm doing it for sure !!!!

Thanks, I think.:)
Go for it.
I am/have rigged a pole mount at the bow to mount a transducer on it. Will put an XHS 9 HDSI 180 T on it and see if I can run Lowrance SI/DI and Humminbird SI/DI at the same time.:thinking-006::sHa_shakeshout:
May work but probably only in shallower water. At any rate I will see if it will work, thats part of the fun of having these things.

Might have to see if I can get some mapping contracts.:)

Kim473
09-13-2019, 07:50 AM
Going to glue plastic cutting board to mine, what adhesive should I use to glue the plastic to aluminum ? Not going to use bolts at all. Was thinking of using JB weld ? Is that ok or should I use an epoxy like gorilla glue ?

huntsfurfish
09-13-2019, 12:37 PM
Going to glue plastic cutting board to mine, what adhesive should I use to glue the plastic to aluminum ? Not going to use bolts at all. Was thinking of using JB weld ? Is that ok or should I use an epoxy like gorilla glue ?

I use 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant in both 5200 and 4200.

https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/company-ca/all-3m-products/~/3M-Marine-Adhesive-Sealant-Fast-Cure-4200FC/?N=5002385+3291170224&preselect=3293786499+3294529206&rt=rud

https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/company-ca/all-3m-products/~/3M-Marine-Adhesive-Sealant-5200/?N=5002385+3293241623&preselect=3293786499+3294529206&rt=rud