PDA

View Full Version : Sportfish identification workshop

WhitefishLady
04-02-2016, 11:10 AM
Hello! Me and a couple other biologists are trying to put on a sportfish identification workshop at bass pro shops in Calgary on April 23, 2016. We are trying to generate interest and registrants. We will have prizes and it's a fun and casual atmosphere. See poster for more information.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t555/WhitefishLady/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps7tzobulo.jpeg

huntsfurfish
04-02-2016, 11:22 AM
Good to here! Hope it goes well and it has lots of interest in it.

Talking moose
04-02-2016, 11:25 AM
The course should save a few bull trout...

EZM
04-02-2016, 05:01 PM
This is an outstanding program for that young fisherman, or the fisherman who wants to become more familiar with the provinces ish species ...... good idea.

Red Bullets
04-02-2016, 09:28 PM
Good to see someone pro active. I would suggest you have a component of your course written in a few languages as it seems that most immigrants love fishing and would need this advice most. Maybe even have a multilingual person or two at the course. When you are advertising try canvassing different cultural places.

I say this because I notice alot of fishing infractions are given to people with names that sound like they are new to the province.

I hope all goes well for you. Kudos.

WhitefishLady
04-02-2016, 10:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback! It's so important people know how to properly ID game fish. Like how many people can tell a sauger from a walleye? I know most of you guys know your ID but if you know anyone interested please let them know about us!

Good idea about the other languages. We are just starting out and we aren't set up for that kind of thing yet but will look into it.

Red Bullets
04-02-2016, 11:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback! It's so important people know how to properly ID game fish. Like how many people can tell a sauger from a walleye? I know most of you guys know your ID but if you know anyone interested please let them know about us!

Good idea about the other languages. We are just starting out and we aren't set up for that kind of thing yet but will look into it.

Luckily you can easily use google's translator for translating your text. Then print it.

It would be nice to include the non game species too.

Footnote*
Wayne Roberts, a professor the U of A zoology dept. used to have paid public presentations/classes of all the fish species in the north Saskatchewan river. Probably one of the most knowledgeable guys on the fish of Alberta. He may give you some interesting insights if he is still around.

lannie
04-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Is this not for profit or is this a government program?
Who deposits the money?

CMichaud
04-03-2016, 09:28 AM
I assume this is for profit

You should keep the price as low as possible. While interesting, young anglers will likely not want to part with $30. If I wanted to bring my son it would be $60. Perhaps offer the ref material for sale after the class to keep costs down?

Approach local F&G clubs and see if you can run a class for them at their respective clubhouses?

Approach local high schools. Some have an outdoors program that might want to include this.

Good luck

WhitefishLady
04-03-2016, 10:42 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. This is hugely valuable! My friend who is the instructor has a small teaching business for fish identification. It's not government and kind of for profit. So I'm just helping out. We have put courses on through ASPB (professional biologist society) geared towards fisheries workers including non sportfish. We are just looking to see interest among anglers. I'll continue to discuss with my friend about price and such. Our main goal is to promote proper identification of fish and better education. Thanks again everyone!

lannie
04-03-2016, 05:32 PM
Good luck on your venture, hope it works out well.

WayneChristie
04-03-2016, 08:54 PM
sounds like a great idea. I think it should be mandatory.