PDA

View Full Version : hermitage pond

coyotezh
04-02-2016, 03:13 PM
anyone knows hermitage pond open yet? cannot wait to try my new kayak..lol

Andy44
04-02-2016, 03:18 PM
I was there a few days ago and there's still very thin ice on it. With weather like today however it shouldn't take very long to completely open up.

trigger7mm
04-02-2016, 05:12 PM
Does it usually winter kill?

waterninja
04-02-2016, 05:53 PM
Just raked the yards and I'm pooped. Otherwise I would pop down there right now and let you know. Maybe in a couple hours.

Yes it does winterkill, though the rare one seems to make it now and then.

coyotezh
04-03-2016, 09:49 AM
thanks

cranky
04-03-2016, 10:54 AM
Hope im not answering too late on this. Ice is gone.

Dont know if it winter killed but doubt theres much in there. It was slow to nothing half way through summer with the poachers and such out there.

Most folks werent catching anything by the fall.

Kim473
04-04-2016, 07:51 AM
They should make that pond, kids under 16 only. JMO.

waterninja
04-04-2016, 10:45 AM
I still remember when you had to be accompanied by a child under 16 (or was it 14) to fish at Hermitage. I kind of agree with you Kim on this one. At the same time I know that some physically handicapped people (even wheel chair bound), like to fish Herm as it is wheel chair friendly (sort of).

Heron
04-04-2016, 12:08 PM
I still remember when you had to be accompanied by a child under 16 (or was it 14) to fish at Hermitage. I kind of agree with you Kim on this one. At the same time I know that some physically handicapped people (even wheel chair bound), like to fish Herm as it is wheel chair friendly (sort of).

If I were making the rules it would be catch and release for adults and 2 over 14" for kids just to get the experience. It gets decimated by the adults who take 5 a day every day for several months. I wonder how those 9" fish taste?

waterninja
04-04-2016, 12:47 PM
If I were making the rules it would be catch and release for adults and 2 over 14" for kids just to get the experience. It gets decimated by the adults who take 5 a day every day for several months. I wonder how those 9" fish taste?
Yeh, something could be done, but that pond is bassically a put and take pond. As for adults takeing more then their share, I really think that is exaggeratted.
Also, it is VERY rare to see a 14" trout at Herm. A few might get that big by Sept. or Oct, but 6-9 inch is the norm.

cranky
04-04-2016, 02:32 PM
There is a group of three who arrive early in the morning every day after it's stocked. They fish the same spot and usually leave around noon. They each have one rod with line in the water. They also have several lines with no rod out too. When they catch one they hide it in the bushes till they leave. I've watched this often and called to report it but no one shows. When it gets pretty much fished out there they go to another pond for the remainder of the year doing exactly the same thing. I've talked to them about this but they claim they don't speak English so they leave and come back next day and start all over

lyallpeder
04-04-2016, 05:11 PM
Or at least a size limit or limit of 1. I often wonder if people realize they will grow to bigger than 8inches!

anyone knows hermitage pond open yet? cannot wait to try my new kayak..lol

I was wondering the same thing, for the same reason!

coyotezh
04-05-2016, 03:43 PM
Or at least a size limit or limit of 1. I often wonder if people realize they will grow to bigger than 8inches!

I was wondering the same thing, for the same reason!

I fished this pond many times. There are lots of fish in the pond, just that they are quite picky. The food are too much for the fish