PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a sturgeon rod under 100 bucks that cabelas sells

brohymn2
04-02-2016, 05:03 PM
Got a 100 doller gift card to cabelas I'd like to get a rod for sturgeon with it. I am willing to go over a bit but not much

Thanks

ETOWNCANUCK
04-02-2016, 05:15 PM
I have a whupping stick, I haven't tried it on sturgeon yet, it's quite solid.

$30
There is also the Fenwick predator rods that could work those are $140

Our resident sturgeon expert Wayne Christie is one I'd seek more info from.

That guy has only caught a few hundred LOL

I think he uses an ugly stick of some sort.

RavYak
04-02-2016, 05:25 PM
You don't need a fancy rod for sturgeon(unless getting one for white sturgeon in BC). Pretty much any stout MH or H rod will work. Nice to have a little softer action to fight fish with(I can't stand pool cue rods) and little longer length like 7-8 ft. Something with a softer tip to pick up lighter bites is nice too.

waterninja
04-02-2016, 05:56 PM
For a 100.00 you should be able to get a good heavy rod, a reel and 50-80lbs test line at Cabbellas for river fishing, including Sturgeon.

EZM
04-02-2016, 06:57 PM
There is a musky casting rod there that would be pretty darn good for casting heavy lures into the river. I don't get caught up on the "name" musky - I look for the features/characteristics that you want in a big game fish rod. Sturgeon rods are typically pretty expensive if you are specifically looking for a "sturgeon" rod.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/71803/shimano-sojourn-muskie-rod

You would want to go to a level wind reel (it has the casting eyes). Something like a Abu Garcia C3 or C4 would be ideal.

A good length butt, fast action tip, and the Sojourn series uses a graphite composite that provides decent backbone but significantly better parabolic (even) flex compared to other graphite rods out there but not as flimsy as glass.

The real seat is solid and high quality and the guides are quite solid compared to rods of that price point.

I bought a Sojourn series rod last year as a trolling backup and was happy with the characteristics of the rod at that price point. I ended up using it quite a bit more than my more expensive Technium.

The other option is a parabolic glass/composite like one of the more expensive Tiger Ugly Sticks - but I am not personally a fan of the poor sensitivity associated with those particular rods - but maybe they have improved over the years. They seem a little "too soft" but, then again, the Sturgeon Master, Wayne, uses this as his go to weapon and I'd say he is far more qualified to give you his 2 cents.

I think for what you are looking for - there are very few good options - but I'd look at how the rod flexes and how it returns down the spine.

the local angler
04-02-2016, 09:26 PM
i've got the heavy duty ugly stick big game rod but have not used it yet since i bought it. i believe waynechristie might have the same one. i think but not sure maybe $60 ish??

bushnell
04-03-2016, 09:42 PM
Another choice is the Glow stick. Works well for us

TROLLER
04-04-2016, 11:11 AM
If you have ever watched any of Waynes videos you will see he is using the Ugly Stick.

That should tell you what you want for your budget