PDA

View Full Version : Question wrt new regs

old dog
04-03-2016, 12:42 PM
I have checked through a couple of times in the new fishing regs wrt barbed hooks. Maybe I keep missing but can anyone tell me if they r in or out. I normally run barbless but I miss one now and again. Thanks in advance

PlayDoh
04-03-2016, 01:13 PM
You can use barbed hooks. I was told by a F&W officer that the barbless regulation will most likely never come back.
I'll need to replace a few trebles I've pinched, yet barbs are more grief than good for the most part IMO.
I rarely lose fish in barbless anyways.

PlayDoh
04-03-2016, 01:20 PM
It's a little disappointing that the way they worded the "temporary error" that they made and will correct soon, turned out to be false.
I understand the benefits of barbless, and the conservations position of advocation. Yet it's been misleading and can only damage the trust factor IMO.

old dog
04-03-2016, 04:35 PM
Thanks. I agree with u Can't remember when I last lost a fish due to barbless Lost due to other reasons. LOL. Again given more lakes moved to zero limits, barbless is good with me.

Lornce
04-04-2016, 09:12 AM
http://mywildalberta.com/fishing/regulations/barblesshooks.aspx

Barbless Hooks
Fishing

The Government of Alberta is asking Alberta’s anglers to keep barbed hooks out of our waters.

Last fall, an inadvertent federal amendment to the Alberta Fishery Regulations removed the barbed hook ban. The omission was not immediately noted and has affected about 600 Albertans who were ticketed for using barbed hooks.

Officials from Alberta Environment and Parks and Justice and Solicitor General are working to rectify the problem by withdrawing charges and reversing wrongful convictions and fines for those individuals affected since September 2011.

We’re working with the Government of Canada to determine the appropriate next steps as we consider the current lack of a barbed hook ban.

In the meantime, we encourage Alberta’s anglers to continue to use barbless hooks and remember that we are promoting proper handling techniques for all fish to best ensure their survival once released.

Updated: Jul 21, 2015

old dog
04-04-2016, 04:09 PM
I was surprised this request was not in this years regs again as I did see it last year