PDA

View Full Version : Gull Lake Reports?

burbotman14
02-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Anyone have any reports on how the burbot, pike, or whitefish are doing down at gull. Haven't been down there for a couple weeks and just wondering how its been doing lately. Thanks.

Pioneer2
02-26-2009, 11:37 PM
You need to start doing some of your own legwork.Keep a log of last years weather conditions 'dates times and places.You can't be one dimentional with fishing /hunting tactics.Time to learn for your self and apply what you know.Help me posts leaves a negetive impression harmless or not.................................most people don't want a carnival setting around them when fishing..Not trying to be nasty just time to move on...........Harold

tolait
02-27-2009, 08:11 AM
burbotman gull is fishing slow for burbs and pike. but the perch are biting well.we have been seeing lots of whites on the camera but they don,t seem to be eating what i show them good luck.

308 man
02-27-2009, 08:17 AM
It is nice to here if any one is catching any fish if one dosn't have time to go keep righting about the catching part, never mind the negative part. Some people have to work and some cant drive a distance to the lake every few days to see how the fishing is going.

jts1
02-27-2009, 08:24 AM
You need to start doing some of your own legwork.Keep a log of last years weather conditions 'dates times and places.You can't be one dimentional with fishing /hunting tactics.Time to learn for your self and apply what you know.Help me posts leaves a negetive impression harmless or not.................................most people don't want a carnival setting around them when fishing..Not trying to be nasty just time to move on...........Harold

Negative impression ?? I must be wrong I thought thats what this forum was for. I know I have posted the "Help Me" posts as you called them , But at the same time I think I have gave some good info as well. Sharing this information , getting to create new friendships. Just sharing the love of this sport in general is what I though this forum was for. I am not putting down anyones posts Just stating my opinion.

Pioneer2
02-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Problem being when they start telling everyone else and bringing friends along .I remember his same posts last year.....................Harold

SuCraM
02-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Negative impression ?? I must be wrong I thought thats what this forum was for. I know I have posted the "Help Me" posts as you called them , But at the same time I think I have gave some good info as well. Sharing this information , getting to create new friendships. Just sharing the love of this sport in general is what I though this forum was for. I am not putting down anyones posts Just stating my opinion.

X2 on that man could not have put it better myself.

Hunter Trav
02-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Problem being when they start telling everyone else and bringing friends along .I remember his same posts last year.....................Harold

So why would you really give a rats ass if he was asking how the fishing is? So what if he is? You could tell him the fishing was great, and he could go and not even catch a cold, so really what does it matter. Its not like he asked for everyones secret spot on the lake. And god forbid if he brought some friends along to go fishing with him, I mean really. If your so against sharing info with people, WHY ARE YOU ON THIS FORUM??? This is what they are for, SHARING INFORMATION. You really should grow up, you sound like a fricken 4 yr old, if you don't want to share, go away and play by yourself...

viral_override
02-27-2009, 12:52 PM
ummm....how about we just all go fishin, quit crying, and have a good time?

Pioneer2
02-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Hell give him a hand drawn map where you hunt and the landowners phone #'s too...............................people need to do their own leg work.Everyone wants something for nothing don't they?...........Harold

pdfish
02-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Hell give him a hand drawn map where you hunt and the landowners phone #'s too...............................people need to do their own leg work.Everyone wants something for nothing don't they?...........Harold

The last time I checked, I believe Gull was around 80 square km. There's lots of room out there for people to fish. He was simply askin' how the fishing was, there's no harm in that. By your logic, I suppose I shouldn't ask friends out in Terrace how the Skeena or Kitimat are fishing if I was planning a trip...I should just drive the 14-15 hours and see for myself....get real.

Pioneer2
02-27-2009, 01:31 PM
10% of the lake holds 90% of the fish if only others could figure that out.It isn't complicated get a map and look at the various depths and where the fish are is not rocket science.It like having a library but unable to read a single book.There are seasonal movements that need to be taken into account /weather conditions etc...........I 've helped many others locate and catch fish when they got frustrated including giving away homemade jigs that will catch fish.Help is more forthcoming when people arn't pushy.I don't mind someone approaching me while i'm fishing or asking what I'm using.Just be poilte about it.This one is about as suttle as a D-9 Cat sending no end of PM's asking the same old same old for two years now.And no I don't own the lake but do respect others when they have set up holes I keep a reasonable distance.........................it's a twoway street....................Harold

hockeyfish
02-27-2009, 01:47 PM
hey, i went there a couple times this week....the first time i went, the fishing was slow but landed 4 whites between me and the dad( all 3 pounders), and the second time, i didn't catch anything

overall i would say its slow right now, alot of them wern't interested in biting

Pioneer2
02-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Now this is intel if you know what you're reading.The Whites are there but not really biting.Why? They are staging for something?Think?Ling spawn.Obviously not yet but that can change week to week.When it starts it goes for about 2weeks.Knowledge= sucess! Phoning local bait shops and gas stations is smart as well.And get a lake map with all the depths marked on it.The Fishing Hole used to post info on fishing results for various lakes week to week.This is called leg work.....................................simple enough...............Harold

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-27-2009, 03:17 PM
I dont think theres any reason for name calling . Were all free to an opinion.

Harold I agree a 100 % I dont mind helping a guy out but when the same question is posted 2 or 3 times a week gets to be much . Also theres so many sources now in days to get information . Also if you call any bait shop or tackleshop in the area of where your headed to fish or hunt .

The last time I checked, I believe Gull was around 80 square km. There's lots of room out there for people to fish. He was simply askin' how the fishing was, there's no harm in that. By your logic, I suppose I shouldn't ask friends out in Terrace how the Skeena or Kitimat are fishing if I was planning a trip...I should just drive the 14-15 hours and see for myself....get real.
Exactly , live and learn .

nube
02-27-2009, 03:57 PM
I can see where Harold is comming from in a way I remember the non stop posts and PM's myself from Burbotman last year. Guys are good at helping out but if you ask too much it gets to be a pain.
As I see it Burbotman was just asking how it was going on Gull and too me it was not all that big of a deal. I was wondering the same thing myself.

Pioneer2
02-27-2009, 04:02 PM
It's all in the delivery ..................I honestly don't mind helping people out......................Harold

moosehunter3-0
02-27-2009, 04:18 PM
All I can say id thank God I have more then a few fishing holes so I dont always have to fish elbow to elbow with people who somehow know me as moosehunter30 from AO LOL
not to be rude cause ive met some really good guys but then ive also met some super creepy old people that think they know me cause theve seen my pics lmao

pdfish
02-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Exactly , live and learn .

Please tell me you were referring to the first part of my post about Gull, not the latter.

burbotman14
02-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Sorry guys, I know I was a pain last year but this I have not been a pain. I was just asking how the fishing was. Anyone could be fishing anywhere on the lake and they could just tell how it went. I didn't ask where they were fishing, what they were using, or even what depth they were fishing. Some people on Ice Shanty gave me some good info without complaining, and I think it is because I do not have as bad as a reputation on their as I do here. I learned from my mistakes and I stopped writing stupid questions. I just simply asked for some very general information. Thanks to everyone who helped.

el sparko
02-27-2009, 06:18 PM
we are getting close to march so the pike will be starting to congregate in the shallows at the north end. they would be in pre spawn mode so they should bite.

LACOMBE JACKSON
02-27-2009, 06:41 PM
YIKES....Now back the original topic. The fishing out at Brownlows was excellent last weekend. Whites turn off for me anyway at around 2:00. The Jacks were pretty aggresive too. I have heard rumour the east side is picking up earlier than usual.But that's what I'm hearing .I've benn fishing Browlows and North all winter and it has been pretty decent.

munyee4321
02-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Can't we all get along here lol its just fishing boys.....

02-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Please tell me you were referring to the first part of my post about Gull, not the latter.

What I meant was clearly , that by living meaning to search and explore and figure things out yourself .And by doing that you are simply learning . Might have to do what some of the older guys did to get tips before the the Internet came around .Now in days people are lazy and expect it to handed to them on a golden platter .

SNAPFisher
02-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Some people on Ice Shanty gave me some good info without complaining, and I think it is because I do not have as bad as a reputation on their as I do here.

No actually, its becuase this place is full of some real *****s. The bigger it gets...its exponential.

I remember raging on you last year. I didn't know you. Since then you have given back with plenty of reports and vids too. Thanks! I was wrong about you. I apologize.

Hope you have a burbot filled ending to the season.

P.S. Not sure about Gull. I was wondering the same thing as you. :D

seahawkfisher
02-27-2009, 08:17 PM
so let me get this straight 10% of the lake holds all the fish...
by your logic, i should be able to walk from a hole that produces no fish for less than 10 feet to one that does? there's a lot more to it than that - what good do useless stats and the such do without backing them up with HELPFUL INFORMATION to go with them?

I find this forum to be a very entertaining place; unfortunately it's not because of the intel that i can gather for a prospective fishing trip. I get a laugh out of all the people who think that they aer better then the next guy because they "think" they know someting that others don't or "should" know about fishing in alberta. you name it; from the proper way to hold a fish in a photograph to the size of fish that should be released to "protect" a fishery, we should only be blessed to have so many experts to share their sage advice with us.

my question is, why do people bother to slam another for asking for a tip? isn't this what a forum is for? if you don't like that idea, don't participate. and for that matter, why do you look to the people who post sucess stories for advice? (my thanks go out to those who do)

this thread is about gull lake for pete's sake; easy access to anyone; if it's your "honey hole" for fishing then you might want to take a good look in the mirror as to how you found your "secret" spot. where's the help?

I must be wrong I thought thats what this forum was for.

If your so against sharing info with people, WHY ARE YOU ON THIS FORUM??? This is what they are for, SHARING INFORMATION. You really should grow up, you sound like a fricken 4 yr old, if you don't want to share, go away and play by yourself...

as for myself; last weekend we fished off a point accessed from wilson's that next-to-nobody fishes. caught 4 burbs, 5 pike, and a few perch between 2 of us. it was a great day; throwing the frisbee around,waiting for the deadstick to show sounds of life. not steady action but a fun day to get out. unfortunately, another person who knows of the spot decided to leave an empty 40 of vodka on the ice among a bunch of other stuff (you know who you are; don't worry I threw it in the garbage for you...) where we were, 4x4 is a must; came close to getting stuck myself. very different from the conditions at brownlows.
cheers

lucaslogan
02-27-2009, 08:25 PM
"Not to Sure" No truer words have you ever spoken, but as usual you feel they were spoken to you and once again you were wrong. The post I was responding to was removed. But hey feel free to reply to everything cause you know how we value your opinion. LOL

Backwoods boy
02-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Whitefish are startin to go now all over the lake had our limits in an hour or so and I dont know bout Burbot, we were out the other day and only saw one that wasn't interested

pecker
02-27-2009, 09:06 PM
What I meant was clearly , that by living meaning to search and explore and figure things out yourself .And by doing that you are simply learning . Might have to do what some of the older guys did to get tips before the the Internet came around .Now in days people are lazy and expect it to handed to them on a golden platter .

c'mon BBJ , have you not got any tips off this forum or should we just pm you for all information- if you have it. i personnally have aquired a library of info on this forum . gull , sylvan ,etc. are not secret lakes . for those who frequent these lakes , i'm sure appreciate any updates . fish ARE turned off from week to week . fellow fishermen & women are not neccessarily looking for your meathole but a general idea of how thir bit'in.BBJ are you not searching & exploring on the internet every day.:rolleye2::wave:

burbotman14
02-27-2009, 09:22 PM
No actually, its becuase this place is full of some real *****s. The bigger it gets...its exponential.

I remember raging on you last year. I didn't know you. Since then you have given back with plenty of reports and vids too. Thanks! I was wrong about you. I apologize.

Hope you have a burbot filled ending to the season.

P.S. Not sure about Gull. I was wondering the same thing as you. :D

Yah I looked at my posts from last year and I was so stupid. I will hopefully have a report on gull to tell everyone tomorrow or Sunday.

Albertabowhunter
02-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Yah I looked at my posts from last year and I was so stupid. I will hopefully have a report on gull to tell everyone tomorrow or Sunday.

Good luck, I'm thinking of heading there Sunday...... I havent been there for 2 years, kind considering trying it out.

pecker
02-27-2009, 09:43 PM
hey, i went there a couple times this week....the first time i went, the fishing was slow but landed 4 whites between me and the dad( all 3 pounders), and the second time, i didn't catch anything

overall i would say its slow right now, alot of them wern't interested in biting

thanks for the info hockeyfish .:wave:

02-27-2009, 11:42 PM
c'mon BBJ , have you not got any tips off this forum or should we just pm you for all information- if you have it. i personnally have aquired a library of info on this forum . gull , sylvan ,etc. are not secret lakes . for those who frequent these lakes , i'm sure appreciate any updates . fish ARE turned off from week to week . fellow fishermen & women are not neccessarily looking for your meathole but a general idea of how thir bit'in.BBJ are you not searching & exploring on the internet every day.:rolleye2::wave:

Absolutely I have. But I'm not afraid to venture out on my own.I keep track of the lakes I fish frequently.I have a binder full of my lakes i fish and what there doing at what times as I can reference it for future use.With that said Ive given plenty of tips that I find successful and Ive read tips from more experienced guys. But it gets annoying after awhile when people don't make the effort , but i'm willing to help someone out who doesn't know.Anyway I better go to bed before me and these beers Ive consumed get me in trouble. Good fishing everyone.

happy perch fisher
03-01-2009, 12:48 AM
Enjoy it while it lasts. Thats all i'm going to say.

pdfish
03-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Enjoy it while it lasts. Thats all i'm going to say.

I see your time out's over.

Art Hazelhoff
03-01-2009, 02:01 PM
I just joined this forum yesterday when I placed a post asking for any tips on ice fishing close to home. Wow, I can,t believe the negativity out there. I certainly hope no one thinks I am lazy for wanting some tips to keep my young boys interested. I would have thought there would have been overwhelming support for each other. I hope it is not always like this. If you don,t like a post, simply ignore it. Thanks for the replies received so far(all positive) on ice fishing Gull lake.

Marlin07
03-01-2009, 04:55 PM
I can report that my shack got wrecked sometime with in the last week. Broke all the windows, light bulbs, stove pipes and damper. Nice to know a guy can leave a shack out on the ice with the door open and still have it get screwed..... the fishing was good though.

pecker
03-02-2009, 07:12 PM
I can report that my shack got wrecked sometime with in the last week. Broke all the windows, light bulbs, stove pipes and damper. Nice to know a guy can leave a shack out on the ice with the door open and still have it get screwed..... the fishing was good though.

a friend of mine has left his shack out on travers reservoir for a couple winters now . about a month ago -- the whole thing was GONE . :mad3::mad2::mad: some people would steal the lord's supper & use the tablecloth for --s wipe.:(

bunnyhunter
03-02-2009, 07:50 PM
I just joined this forum yesterday when I placed a post asking for any tips on ice fishing close to home. Wow, I can,t believe the negativity out there. I certainly hope no one thinks I am lazy for wanting some tips to keep my young boys interested. I would have thought there would have been overwhelming support for each other. I hope it is not always like this. If you don,t like a post, simply ignore it. Thanks for the replies received so far(all positive) on ice fishing Gull lake.

I have been called all sorts of things for even helping a newbie find a spot to fish.
no its not always like this, there are very good people on here you just have to weed through a few crazies. I have a young kid, and to and to me its all about teaching new sportsmen , women, or young people about the thrill of fishing or hunting.
its one thing to have an opinion, we all benefit from a good debate....its another to threaten or name call just because someone doesnt agree.

if you have a question ask people to pm you, its a little more personal and less...confrontational.

and so..welcome to the forum :rolleyes:

Drano
03-02-2009, 08:32 PM

X2:wave::wave:

FishBrain
03-02-2009, 08:37 PM
the fishing is a little slow, but hey its still fishing. Better than cleaning the house lol

buckmaster
03-05-2009, 10:27 AM
I was at birch bay and the whites were moving but not biting very good.My uncle also had a ling snap off his line while he was trying to pull it out.The lake has a fair amount of snow ( drifts ) so a 4x4 would be recommended.The fog was also very thich in the morning.It was a great day though with the warm weather we had.