PDA

View Full Version : Techniques on lakes with bait bans

kreator
03-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Does anyone have any methods on how to catch Perch, Walleye and Pike through the ice without using bait?

Backwoods boy
03-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Yep, Power bait:lol:

kreator
03-01-2009, 07:50 PM
I thought of that, then I read...

Bait — the definition of bait (see Definitions) includes, but is not restricted to: corn, cheese, marshmallows, meat, maggots, meal worms, earthworms, wax worms, gammarus shrimp, leeches, terrestrial insects, the larvae, pupae or adults of aquatic insects (e.g., stonefly, mayfly, caddis fly), bait fish, parts of fish, fish eggs, scented baits, power baits and all additives that scent or flavour artificial baits and lures.

Bait Ban means – where bait bans are in effect only unscented lures may be used. In some streams, only maggots may be used as bait during certain times of the year to allow anglers to fish for mountain whitefish with less impact on trout populations. In some lakes, only maggots and mealworms may be used as bait to allow anglers to fish for perch and lake whitefish with less impact on pike populations (see Definitions).

I am planning a trip into Seibert and am wondering how I'm going take Perch without maggots/mealworms or Pike without smelts/minnows.

MrDave
03-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Yep, Power bait:lol:

You related to Bud? Same morals.

spurly
03-01-2009, 08:01 PM
rubber maggots, rubber minnows, as long as they are not scented they are not considered bait.

MrDave
03-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Does anyone have any methods on how to catch Perch, Walleye and Pike through the ice without using bait?

Go with some nymphs and wet flies as used in fly fishing. As well try Swedish jigs and small 5 of diamonds.

Backwoods boy
03-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Bait Ban means – where bait bans are in effect only unscented lures may be used.

Oh...didnt know that. Well then best to go with spoons like MrDave said and probly unscented jigs and tails (worked a couple of times)

moosehunter3-0
03-01-2009, 08:23 PM
for pike try a verticle jigging rapala, swedish pimple or williams wobbler, just remember a leader, because they usually hammer it.

goober
03-02-2009, 06:48 AM
Small 5 of D or Red Devil are deadly on perch.

Cal
03-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Jig a ratling rapala, I use them without bait even when there is no bait ban. They work very well without bait and the bait just hampers their action. When you jig one it swims off to the side of the hole like an airplane jig and then swings back, many of the strikes will come as it is swinging back under the hole so allow some time between jigging. For pearch mitzi ditzi's and russian hooks work ok even without bait, somthing I used to do as a kid when I couldnt afford maggots was to use a small chunk of a brightly colored jig on the hook, this worked pretty good though I bet the fly thing would work good, especily if fished as a dropper below a small spoon or a wedding band. Iv used this rig below a bobber for all kinds of fish in the summer.