PDA

View Full Version : crawling v report

rocky97
03-02-2009, 10:13 AM
fished cv yesterday from about 9 till 5. slow day in general but still managed 4 pike biggest being 6 1/2 pounds lol would have tied for first in the tourny with that one. still alot of snow on the lake 4 wheel drive needed, we got high centered once and had to dig ourselves out. we were trying one of our hot spots in the islands on south side of the lake. alot of walleye action but dident manage to land one that got very frusterating. had about 9 fish on and like as soon as i got them to the hole they managed to get off. got a soaker trying to reach done and grab one that was about 1 foot in the hole still managed to slip past me though. we were using large smelts on quick strike rigs but for some reason it just wasent hooking the walleye. any tips for better hooking sucess for these lil bas**ds would be great.

calgarygringo
03-02-2009, 10:46 AM
One thing we learned with smelts this past summer at Pine Coulee where the wallys are much smaller is to cut the smelt in half. We almost doubled our in the boat catch by having less meat on the hooks. We also found using some smaller smelt sizes helps for them as well. When we fish CV we usually go full size until we see we are missing them coming through the hole. Try a bit smaller if the wallys are driving you crazy but missing......

slingshotz
03-02-2009, 12:30 PM
I was out all day and into the night fishing the east islands (a little north of the boat launch) on the weekend and didn't get anything. Had setups between islands in 8', in front of islands at 14-20' with different smelts. There were a few trailers near us but no one around to ask if they were having any better luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for CV? My main target is burbs at night but anything else in the day works to keep the fun factor high. Everyone I've talked to has said to try the east islands but that's a bit vague. Not looking for your exact honey hole but would like some help on the depths I should be looking for. I don't have a flasher or cam so it takes me a bit longer to learn an area.