PDA

View Full Version : Sewing and skinning

Cowtown guy
03-02-2009, 11:06 AM
So I was finally able to try the .243 varmint grenades on a coyote and I have a nasty hole to sew. How big of a hole is too big to sew? I am new to the skinning scene so I will try to skin it just for the experience. If it isn't too big to be fixed I'll try boarding it also. I am assuming that the washing should be done before boarding. How do you dry it before boarding it though.

cattracks
03-02-2009, 02:38 PM
spin it in your washing machine

pitw
03-02-2009, 04:34 PM
You can sew some major holes shut but I doubt it will be worth it other than for experience now. The coyotes are pretty much done as a fur animal now. When you flesh it cut the ragged parts off and I believe it was bushmaster who said try to make the hole a <> shape for sewing, which works well and keeps bunching to a minimum. I would then wash the hide and to dry I hang them fur out on a nail to drip dry over night and then board.

Cowtown guy
03-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I realize that it probably isn't worth a bunch right now I am looking more for experience on this one. I am hoping that I can get out a lot next winter. I plan on trying to lock down permission in a bunch of places this spring.

pitw
03-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Give'r and show us how it's going.

nube
03-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Daryl, when I wash mine I use a little bit of soap and then rinse in some fabric softner. It gets the hair looking shiny and clean. I then wring it out and get all I can out of it and hang it up for a couple hours. I then put on the stretcher with skin side out for a couple days to get the skin dry and then turn it to fur out to dry the fur side. I find the armpits stay wet for a while and the hair may slip if not dried fast enough. Putting it in the spin cycle of the washer is best like mentioned earlier but if you hand wring it it can be done. When you stretch the hide the buyers like it long and narrow. I used to stretch it as wide as I could at first but they prefere it narrow. Remember to split the tail and take the bone out and when you split it make sure it dries right so it doesn't slip. Halford hides in Edmonton here sells tail spliters. Not sure where to get one in Clagary. Good luck. Call me if you got any questions. You might want to post this on the trapping site as well. There are some guys on there that will help you a lot.