PDA

View Full Version : Fishing limits and regs

Lantzd
03-02-2009, 08:33 PM
I got a question about the fishing guide ya get when ya get your liscenses ..... all the lakes that are listed in the book with all the species and limits besdie them,,,, IFFFFF the lake doesnt have a certain species listed by the name of the lake does this mean that species does not exsist in that lake ?????????

FishBrain
03-02-2009, 08:34 PM
thats what I was lead to believe. but I will let a pro answer that one

Lantzd
03-02-2009, 08:40 PM
alright thanks alot i would apreciate someone answering this for me!!!!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-02-2009, 08:47 PM
I got a question about the fishing guide ya get when ya get your liscenses ..... all the lakes that are listed in the book with all the species and limits besdie them,,,, IFFFFF the lake doesnt have a certain species listed by the name of the lake does this mean that species does not exsist in that lake ?????????

IF its not listed in the regulations and its what you caught you should report it to fish and wildlife , and if you choose to keep it you have to follow the Alberta sports daily limits rather then the lake . Hope this helps .

munyee4321
03-02-2009, 08:47 PM

NO it does not nessary mean that lake does not have other species of fish.

For instance the Oldman resivore, does not list burbot as a species of fish available in the regs. But if you read the first page of every fish managment zone it will read under specific regulations (example FMZ ES1)

ES1 Site-Specific Regulations

LAKES

A. For Trout-Stocked Lakes, Reservoirs and Ponds in ES1 that are named under “Alberta’s Fish Stocking Program.”
Open all year – Trout limit 5; bait, except bait fish, allowed.

B. For Lakes, Reservoirs and Ponds listed and fish species listed under “ES1 Lake and Stream Listings” starting on this page.
You must follow the regulations stated with each listing.

C. For other ES1 Lakes, Reservoirs and Ponds not included under (A) or (B) and for fish species not mentioned at a listed lake.
Open all year – Trout limit 5; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait, except bait fish, allowed.

lilsundance
03-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Your better off phoning F&W and getting the answer from them. Telling a judge that the boys from AO said it was ok won't stand up in court.

Deano
03-02-2009, 08:54 PM

I'll try and actually answer the question you did ask. In the majority of cases the regs do list the fish that are in the lake. I will emphasize again about it being the majority of the time.
I hope that answers the question you asked.

Deano

Lantzd
03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Ya i did call it in because of the spots and marking on the fish, and no i didnt keep the fish cause of the species but trying to explain the lake were it was caught to the warden was kind of a joke,,, even with the gps cordinets he still didnt get it ,cause this name of the lake is used four times in alberta ,,,,, but alright that helps, i will ask him again when he gets back to me tomorrow to finish the report and get more pics,,,, his answer was "im not to sure ill have to check into it"

duffy4
03-02-2009, 10:04 PM

I really do not understand your question or why you are asking it.

There are provincewide limits on page 18 of the regulations AND then there are specific limits and regulations for specific water bodies. If there is no special concern for,say perch, in a lake then the provincial limit applies and there is no need to mention perch in the specific lake section.

Does that make any sence?

uicehole
03-03-2009, 01:58 AM
Makes a lot of sense and it's in black and white. I'll paraphrase the regs.

If the lake is not mentioned or if a species is not mentioned in region's site specific regs, then the Zone general regs apply. This includes limits.

deanmc
03-03-2009, 06:04 AM
Makes a lot of sense and it's in black and white. I'll paraphrase the regs.

If the lake is not mentioned or if a species is not mentioned in region's site specific regs, then the Zone general regs apply. This includes limits.

X2

I agree, and i believe I understand the fishing regulations fairly well.

If you have followed the province wide regulations, and the specific restrictions for the zone you are in you have fished legally.

Specific lakes and species within those lakes are only listed if rules or limits at that lake and for that species are different from the provincial ones.

http://www.anglersatlas.com/mapsearch/googlemap/AB/ has some lakes. They have maps and species information if you are lucky enough to find the lake you want.