PDA

View Full Version : Sunbreaker cove? Bost launch at Sylvan lake

newguy
05-08-2016, 08:56 AM
I hope I have the name right?.

Be very careful here folks... Took the pontoon out and had to trim the motor as high as possible to back up. It's scary low right now. There is also a rock burn for whatever reason about 20-30 yards out.

When we were finished the kid put the trailer too far in the water and tore off both lights and crunched the license plate. Sure, he backed up a little too far but if that silly rock burm wasn't there he would have just sunk the trailer lower.

All in all a great day? Saw quite few fish in the shallows so looking forward to the season opening soon.

Sumara
05-08-2016, 09:44 AM
I noticed even at Half moon Bay it's quite low as well. I talked to a couple guys launching and they could only use the right side of it.

newguy
05-08-2016, 08:30 PM
Power loaders, heard about these guys but never saw the effects...

Great advice Jet, thanks!

dutchman
05-09-2016, 10:26 AM
The Sunbreaker launch was in bad shape last year. The gravel burm you guys are talking about was there later in the summer, just before the docks end. My 18' bowrider would barely float over the rocks with the outdrive trimmed all the way up. Basically launching and loading by hand. You could see some pretty big scrapes in the gravel bed from bigger boats.
I figured the county would go out there and do some maintenance before this season started. I've googled a bit and can't find out who would be in charge of this.

EZM
05-09-2016, 01:01 PM
I am opposed to power loading a boat. If you learn to sink your trailer consistently every time to the same depth (find the sweet spot) and then practice the right speed on approach you should slide right up to a position a foot or so short of the yoke.

For me it so the side trailer guides are at water level and my approach is about the speed of a brisk walk ........ works perfectly.

Easier on your bunks, trailer, engine, propeller, boat and the boat launch itself.

There are many launches on prairie lakes that are quite shallow. I think it's a good practice to stay trimmed up and drive slow until you reach deeper water. On some lakes that could be 100 yards - but it avoids any surprises.

Donkey Oatey
05-09-2016, 01:34 PM
I been told when asking about the docks previously that Red Deer control it and it's a provincial park if that helps. If you call the Sylvan Lake Tourism office they should be able to give you the contact in Red Deer (sorry I didn't keep the number).

Sunbreaker Cove is Lacombe County's responsibility.

http://www.lacombecounty.com/index.php/parks-atrails-maintenance

barbless
05-09-2016, 01:49 PM
Depends on the angle of the launch and or if it is protected by barriers or a water brake. Wind in a none cove area can be nasty. I have seen people trailer their boats in none windy and calm cove places and just put it half throttle or more to get it on the trailer when they could have moved the trailer 4ft more into the water and just pulled out the winch and hook up and gone. Asked why he does it that way, "I DO IT ALL THE TIME". Thought he was going to put the 18ft boat in the back of the truck. For the most part no need to power load your boat. If you do, you had better check your prop every time.

newguy
05-09-2016, 06:49 PM
An update to the update from a call back I just received for further information and received different information this time.

Apparently the fish use the boat ramp to spawn, and environmental regulations prevent them from touching a spawning bed until July 1st (after spawning).

So the solutes I was told was, to pay $10 to the Marina until July the 1st when they go in and fix it. Or launch off a gravel beach (the irony of it).

So next time you power load, be careful to not disturb those spawning fish underneath your boat, not a chance they would choose to locate themselves away from the launch instead. Go figure.

Oh and the launch used to be maintained by the province, but Lacombe County have taken it over. Great job being done this year on it for sure. The office is in Red Deer.

If you want to discuss this further with them, contact Red Deer 403 782 8379
$10 is a pretty good deal I guess... I can only imagine how busy that lake gets as the weather warms up.

Joholio
05-09-2016, 08:09 PM
Sunbreaker Cove is Lacombe County's responsibility.

http://www.lacombecounty.com/index.php/parks-atrails-maintenance

That explains alot actually. The gravel roads around Eckville are washboarded out so bad and the grader man just tickles the top and never cuts out the bumps. Hope he is reading this. Glad I took my tub to BC, never to return.

trowland
05-15-2016, 05:03 PM
Drove to the launch area today and barricades were placed over both launch lanes. Signs were placed on both barricades stating that the launch would open June 2. There was only a foot of water covering the rock berm.

DJL
05-19-2016, 08:19 PM
An update to the update from a call back I just received for further information and received different information this time.

Apparently the fish use the boat ramp to spawn, and environmental regulations prevent them from touching a spawning bed until July 1st (after spawning).

So the solutes I was told was, to pay $10 to the Marina until July the 1st when they go in and fix it. Or launch off a gravel beach (the irony of it).

So next time you power load, be careful to not disturb those spawning fish underneath your boat, not a chance they would choose to locate themselves away from the launch instead. Go figure.

Oh and the launch used to be maintained by the province, but Lacombe County have taken it over. Great job being done this year on it for sure. The office is in Red Deer.

The Marina is $40 per launch with no on-site parking

dutchman
05-20-2016, 01:35 PM

I called this number today and the person said they are planning on starting work June 1. Was not 100% sure on a quick fix or do it properly which will keep it closed for longer. Run by Lacombe county.

There are a couple other gravel launches around the lake but be careful where you park. From what I understood the southwest side is taken care of by Red Deer county.

Won't even talk about the marina.

Funny how this subject is so difficult to fix. We have a PUBLIC lake but very limited access to get on the water. Sunbreaker was a great addition when they upgraded, but then they forget about maintenance. So lets close it and we'll fix it once our short season opens. The gravel launches on the southwest side are ok to launch, but can't park anywhere. Cabin and home owners don't want us there. Then I heard about a study to build another launch on the southwest side, but the way they study and argue around here, it will be years before that is built. :sign0176: OK, rant over