PDA

View Full Version : Crayfish in Mcgregor Lake

jacenbeers
05-09-2016, 09:08 AM
The crayfish have invaded Mcgregor Lake. I was there yesterday and they were all over the place. Has anybody else seen them there before?

TROLLER
05-09-2016, 09:26 AM
Great food for both walleye and pike.

cujo1969
05-09-2016, 10:11 AM
They been in the for along time.

EZM
05-09-2016, 11:05 AM
The crayfish have invaded Mcgregor Lake. I was there yesterday and they were all over the place. Has anybody else seen them there before?

There have been crayfish in the rocks there for at least 20 years.

ORV
05-09-2016, 12:01 PM

yes. we have a place on the south end near the lomond bridge

it has been lousy with them for a couple of years or more down there

we figured they came from traverse. where did you see them?

south or north end?

we can,t even use pickerel rigs & smelts there because the crayfish
strip them bare.

klow
05-09-2016, 12:24 PM
Can you eat these crayfish?

ORV
05-09-2016, 12:28 PM
can you eat these crayfish?

yep!

TROLLER
05-09-2016, 12:46 PM
Best way to feast on the critters is if you can get ahold of a Cajun spice bag. Boil them with the spice bag in the pot till they turn red, kinda like a lobster tuning colour.

Pull the tail off and away ya go. Takes a lot to make a meal but they are very good for sure. If you cannot get a good spice just swipe the tail meat in some hot sauce.

thenaturalwoodsman
05-09-2016, 01:49 PM
It seems the numbers of crayfish varies from year to year. Chin lake was loaded with them between 2012 and 2014. But last year there was only a few. This spring you are hard pressed to even see an old shell or a claw let alone a live crayfish. I don't miss them they are a pain in the ass to try and fish when they are around. However my kids like to roll rocks and pick them up, so they miss them!

MoFugger21
05-09-2016, 03:13 PM
You could hardly put a camera down the hole when fishing the north end of Travers without the lake floor moving.... So. Many. Crayfish. So I have no doubt that McGregor would be the same.

ORV
05-09-2016, 04:28 PM
You could hardly put a camera down the hole when fishing the north end of Travers without the lake floor moving.... So. Many. Crayfish. So I have no doubt that McGregor would be the same.

same on the south end yes.

we have not seen any on the far north end by milo yet that I know of.

any one have?

Habfan
05-10-2016, 03:52 PM
Great food for both walleye and pike.

I have never seen a crayfish in walleye or pike. I was told that they don't eat them as well. I have seen them in burbots and bass though.

EZM
05-10-2016, 04:22 PM
I have never seen a crayfish in walleye or pike. I was told that they don't eat them as well. I have seen them in burbots and bass though.

Come to think of it - neither have I. I have seen trout that eat them ..... but never a Pike or Walleye.

The way Pike are, my guess is they would eat them. Pike will eat anything.

Habfan
05-10-2016, 04:51 PM
Come to think of it - neither have I. I have seen trout that eat them ..... but never a Pike or Walleye.

The way Pike are, my guess is they would eat them. Pike will eat anything.

My understanding is they have trouble digesting them. The ones that I seen in the burbots were just the claws that were not digested, the rest of the crawdad was gone. Might be a little painfull getting rid of those claws. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

58thecat
05-11-2016, 06:51 AM
What's the limit on these fine little lobsters? Figure you could set out a trap for 'em and eat them just like there big brother!:sHa_shakeshout:

ORV
05-11-2016, 08:23 AM
What's the limit on these fine little lobsters? Figure you could set out a trap for 'em and eat them just like there big brother!:sHa_shakeshout:

unlimited. they are an invasive species but you are not allowed to trap them
as per the regs. figure that one out.
we walk along the shore at night & grab them with bbq tongs. lol
we caught a burbot with about six of them in it.
can,t keep the pike or walleye to eat so can,t verify if they eat them as well.

walking buffalo
05-11-2016, 09:04 AM
unlimited. they are an invasive species but you are not allowed to trap them
as per the regs. figure that one out.
we walk along the shore at night & grab them with bbq tongs. lol
we caught a burbot with about six of them in it.
can,t keep the pike or walleye to eat so can,t verify if they eat them as well.

Where in the fishing regs does it say that a person can't trap them?

Use a legal minnow trap designed to allow these bugs in....
A person can use no more than two traps at a time.
Kill the crayfish immediately after pulling the trap....

https://releve.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/regu/alta-reg-203-1997/latest/alta-reg-203-1997.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAcZmlzaGluZyByZWd1bG F0aW9ucyBjcmF5ZmlzaAAAAAAB&resultIndex=1

Live bait fish and crayfish
8(1) A person shall not be in possession of live bait fish or crayfish
(a) unless they are possessed as specifically authorized under the authority of a research licence, or
(b) if imported, unless they are held in contained waters as pets or for sale as pets.
(2) A person is not in possession of fish for the purposes of subsection (1) if, in the course of fishing, it is immediately returned to the waters from which it is taken and is released in a manner that causes it the least harm.
(3) A person does not require a licence to fish for crayfish by means other than with a hook and line provided that such fishing is not prohibited by any other law.
(4) Subsection (3) does not apply to fishing in the Beaver River or its tributaries.

ORV
05-11-2016, 09:43 AM
Crayfish

Crayfish are native to the Beaver River system. However, they appear to have been illegally introduced into many Alberta waters and may be adversely affecting aquatic ecosystems.
Some people have expressed a desire to consume crayfish. In all waters other than the Beaver River, people may catch crayfish for consumption. Legal capture methods include angling (sportfishing regulations apply) or catching them by hand. No licence is required to capture crayfish by hand. The retention and transport of live crayfish is illegal and all retained crayfish must be immediately killed to prevent the spread of this species. Please help prevent the spread of invasive species.
from the old regs.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=260847&highlight=crayfish

I have not seen the new regs yet

on this thread a couple of people asked f&w about traps

as we did last year but never got an answer back.

Dean2
05-11-2016, 11:42 AM
I happened read the regs the other day, it says you can catch them by hand, no trapping. AS far as a minnow net, they are legal for catching bait, if you got crayfish instead I am not sure what the deal would be.

From the Regs. You also can't use them as bait.

Crayfish are native to the Beaver River system. However, they appear to have been illegally introduced into many Alberta waters and may be adversely affecting aquatic ecosystems.
Some people have expressed a desire to consume crayfish. In all waters other than the Beaver River, people may catch crayfish for consumption. Legal capture methods include angling (sportfishing regulations apply) or catching them by hand. No licence is required to capture crayfish by hand. The retention and transport of live crayfish is illegal and all retained crayfish must be immediately killed to prevent the spread of this species. Please help prevent the spread of invasive species.

walking buffalo
05-11-2016, 12:08 PM
I happened read the regs the other day, it says you can catch them by hand, no trapping. AS far as a minnow net, they are legal for catching bait, if you got crayfish instead I am not sure what the deal would be.

From the Regs. You also can't use them as bait.

Where does it say "no trapping" of crayfish in either the fishing synopsis or the fisheries regulations?

fish_e_o
05-11-2016, 12:24 PM
Where does it say "no trapping" of crayfish in either the fishing synopsis or the fisheries regulations?
includes but not limited to i guess?

Dean2
05-11-2016, 12:36 PM

The section tells you what the LEGAL collection methods are. It does NOT say you can legally trap them. If it isn't specifically allowed is is therefore disallowed, just like using dynamite. Doesn't say you can't do that to collect them either!

For further clarity, rules around using traps and nets to collect Bait Fish.

Collecting Bait Fish

Catching bait fish (such as suckers) by angling, bowfishing or spearfishing is allowed from all waters open to fishing with these methods, even at waters where the collection of bait fish by other means is prohibited. Anglers may collect their own bait fish by minnow trap, dip net and seine net, but these fish must not be sold. The commercial collection of bait fish requires a Commercial Bait Fishing Licence. The following regulations apply to the collection of bait fish for personal use as bait:

The collection of bait fish is not permitted in waters having a bait ban or restriction on the use of bait fish, and in some other specified waters (see each Fish Management Zone for regulations).
The possession of live bait fish is prohibited. All bait fish kept must be killed immediately. Please do not kill more than needed because bait fish are important food for many sport fish.
Fish other than bait fish must be immediately released unharmed. Game fish such as perch must not be kept.
Seine nets may not be larger than 3 m in length and 2 m in depth.
Minnow traps may not have dimensions greater than 60 cm in length by 30 cm in width, depth or diameter.
No more than 2 minnow traps may be used at one time.
Minnow traps must bear the operator’s name, address and Sportfishing Licence number.
Crayfish cannot be used as bait. It is unlawful to possess live crayfish.

Remember!

it is illegal to use live bait fish or crayfish as bait.
it is illegal to set out or use bait to attract fish unless the bait is attached to a hook used in angling.
it is illegal to use scented lures or scented weights where bait bans are in effect.
discard live unused bait withinn its original packaging inside a garbage receptacle.

58thecat
05-11-2016, 12:54 PM
So catch them, kill them and then boil them. Sounds like a good time especially if there is no limit, man talk about fat, full and happy!:sHa_shakeshout:

Now anyone ever do this and what is the preferred method?

rena0040
05-11-2016, 01:05 PM
I've talked to f&w about this. You cant legally trap them, however if you were trapping minnows and inadvertantly ended up with a cage full of crayfish, it would be illegal for you to release live crayfish.
So, go trap minnows and enjoy the accidental bycatch.

pinelakeperch
05-12-2016, 08:17 PM
Shine a flash light at night on a shallow rocky shore and you should be able to catch enough for a small meal.

npauls
05-12-2016, 09:06 PM
We have had lots of walleyes puke up crayfish parts in our livewells on more than a few lakes in southern alberta.

Most lakes have them some are just more overrun with them than others.

bushnell
05-12-2016, 09:10 PM
Used to use them for bait when I was a kid in Manitoba, worked great

58thecat
05-13-2016, 06:24 AM
Shine a flash light at night on a shallow rocky shore and you should be able to catch enough for a small meal.

Ok so we get a bucket full, now what is a tried method to prep these critters for table fare?

Thanks for the tip on hearding them:sHa_shakeshout:

Newellknik
05-13-2016, 07:35 AM
When we were kids we would trap them and sell them to the
Belgium people . Potato bag ,weight in the bottom end and at the
Mouth to keep the bag flat . Put in meat scraps ,uncooked ,
You have to check it every morning , some days hundreds .
Penny a piece , was a big deal in the early 50 s .

ORV
05-13-2016, 08:24 AM
Ok so we get a bucket full, now what is a tried method to prep these critters for table fare?

Thanks for the tip on hearding them:sHa_shakeshout:

we have deep fried them whole & ate them like chips
you can boil like lobster & break the tails off to eat
cleaning tip. bottom of the tail grab the middle little fin
twist it side to side then pull. out comes the poop shute.

hope this helps

Orv.

Dean2
05-13-2016, 08:33 AM
Soak Crayfish in clean water for a couple of hours. Now some fresh water, enough to cover, bring to boil, add a couple of teaspoons of salt and a Creole spice bag, dump in crayfish. Cook till they are a bright red, usually takes a couple of minutes.

If you want a hardier meal called a Cajun Boil, use same salted water and Creole spice bag mix, first boil whole potatoes and corn pieces till just about cooked, add the crayfish and take all out when crayfish cooked. Again takes about 2 minutes to cook the crayfish. Pull the tails off and eat the meat from the tail, toss the rest or keep it to make a great fish soup base.

I have eaten a ton of these in the states, they are delicious.

DiabeticKripple
05-13-2016, 08:38 AM
Lots of crayfish in travers as well.

58thecat
05-16-2016, 05:45 AM
Soak Crayfish in clean water for a couple of hours. Now some fresh water, enough to cover, bring to boil, add a couple of teaspoons of salt and a Creole spice bag, dump in crayfish. Cook till they are a bright red, usually takes a couple of minutes.

If you want a hardier meal called a Cajun Boil, use same salted water and Creole spice bag mix, first boil whole potatoes and corn pieces till just about cooked, add the crayfish and take all out when crayfish cooked. Again takes about 2 minutes to cook the crayfish. Pull the tails off and eat the meat from the tail, toss the rest or keep it to make a great fish soup base.

I have eaten a ton of these in the states, they are delicious.

Thanks