PDA

View Full Version : howe sound/ porteau cove

trophybook
05-09-2016, 11:48 PM
If you had a boat with downriggers and 2 days unlimited gas... What would you fish for? Wouldn't mind setting some prawn/ crab traps. Would love to hear any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks

robson3954
05-11-2016, 02:58 PM
Anything and everything lol. But from what I know shrimping is much different than crab. Crab are easy in shallow water..... I think shrimp pots are like 300ft

trophybook
05-12-2016, 12:42 AM
Found that out lol pots will be set out in the am. Gona try for some halibut after that then on to the salmon.

Any tips would be very appreciated !

Will post pics if I have any luck.
Thanks

Scruffie
05-12-2016, 08:41 AM
I'm sure that you are aware the Porteau Cove is a Marine Park. Okay to fish once outside the Park Triangles.

Link to regs with closures in that area.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html

Weather has been excellent. Bring lots of Sun Screen and have a great trip.
Lots of memories of that cove
Where I first learned to dive over 30 years ago.
And later when I became an instructor, did a lot of checkouts on dive students there.

Wrenchface
05-12-2016, 02:39 PM
If you set your pots too shallow they will fill up with sun stars, learned that the hard way.

Redfrog
05-12-2016, 10:57 PM
I fished there years ago . We set crab traps in 25-35 feet of water on a high tide.

Prawn traps were set in 100-200 feet of water.

You have to keep an eye on them for poachers.

While the traps were doing their magic, we went down the shoreline and fished for rockfish. We used herring for bait. Set up about 200 feet from the rack face on the shoreline in anywhere from 50 feet of water to several hundred.
Use light gear when the tide comes in and fish in anywhere from 15 -30 feet of water. you'll catch flounder, perch and crabs on the line. You can also use herring cut into thin strips.

Salmon Slayer Lenny
05-13-2016, 10:29 AM
Talk to the guys at BonChovy fishing charters, they'll steer you in the right direction.

Howe sound and Porteau Cove have been very hit and miss (more miss) lately from what I'm hearing. Better to head out into the strait, Vancouver harbour or whip across to Nanaimo.