PDA

View Full Version : Clear Lake Adventure

OutwardBound
03-03-2009, 03:32 PM
So yesterday was Danni's Birthday, and she wanted to ice fishing in the morning before she went to work at 1:00. So we head down to Clear Lake, and when we get to our spot. We find a disquisting pile of filleted and skinned, Pike and Burbot. The burbot was huge, at least 30", one big pike and about 5 smaller ones. We called F&W to report the mess + I also believe it is illigal to completely fillet a fish before transpoting. We decided to leave them our cell phone number in case they showed up and wanted to talk to us.

So after awhile of fishing i catch a keeper size pike so our spirits got a little better. Danni decides to go for a walk and try a few other holes, while shes gone about a 10lb Pike is as we termed it " Grocery Shopping" my bait. after playing with it for about 3 mins, Danni is back in the tent and sees the fish, again it comes back and grocery shops. But no luck. We couldn't entice her to bite, but still fun none the less.

A little while latter her dad calls to say hi and wish her a happy birthday. She passes the phone to me to make plans for dinner. After giving her the phone back she goes to put it in her pocket, but misses. Bounce, Bounce, splash. With a quick attempt to grab it, but no success we watch her Blackberry slowly float to the bottom, and slowly start dying and flashing.

I quickly tie some spare fishing line onto our ice scoop, and another onto our ice depth measuring stick. We lower them down the hole and are able to flip her phone onto the ice scooper and bring it back to the surface.

After talking to the guy from Rogers he said we can try putting it in a bag of rice to dry it out, but i'm not holding out much hope for it. So not only did Dannielle get a new winter coat for her birthday, an ice fishing trip, dinner, it appears that she is going to get a new Blackberry.

There will be a picture to follow of the phone coming up the hole on the ice fishing scoop for you to enjoy.

Have a Good Day and hang onto those phones out fishing.

Dustin

Albertadiver
03-03-2009, 03:40 PM
I did the same stupid thing with my phone 2 weeks ago. Fell out of my shirt pocket, but it was too deep to see to even try to recover. So $100.00 later I have a new telus replacement phone.

bucktaker
03-03-2009, 03:51 PM
i was out there saturday and the ice was a mess. looked like big party was going on the night before. Did not happen to pull a yellow ice rod out by any chance lol. ps happy b day

sparky660
03-03-2009, 04:16 PM
My wifes phone went through the a full wahing machine cycle. We took the battery out and put it on the heat register for a week. Put the battery back in and it works just like new. Give it a try as you have nothing to lose at this point.

Blairh
03-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Yup, at least you got yours out CBRHunter good job on that part. Hope it still works for ya...I dropped a camera down the hole and was able to fish it out. amazingly still worked so hopefully u end up with a good story about the water proof phone.

Cal
03-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Is that the clear lake by barhead? I used to fish there as a kid with my grandfather and great uncle while they lived but I heard that it was getting lots of pressure now and had had a winterkill a few years back. If were talking about the same lake let me know how its doing, would love to visit it sometime.

OutwardBound
03-03-2009, 06:05 PM
No It's the Clear Lake by Stavley.

loopyalcsel
03-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Ever notice that someone is always having a fire on that lake?

pecker
03-03-2009, 06:43 PM
No It's the Clear Lake by Stavley.

thanks for the post cbrhunter, wasn't aware there were burbs in clear. we'll have to try targeting them . aint caught one of those critters yet. :) :wave:

rustynailz
03-03-2009, 08:28 PM
I would think it's gotta be illegal to fillet a pike on the ice unless the fillets were large enough that there was no question the fish was over 63cm. Good on you for calling RAP...maybe if more people do so there will start to be more enforcement there.

Is the fire on the ice thing a big deal? I see it lots at Badger and it's never really bothered me.

slingshotz
03-04-2009, 12:26 AM
I was out on Clear Lake tonight and there was a lot of flood water, did you two drive on the ice or walk it? I drove on it for a bit but got a bit too nervous so I parked back at the camp as I had no idea if it was going to get worse going further as I was all alone.

There were a lot of campfires which I don't mind as charcoal is organic and biodegrades but the trash I do get ****ed about :mad:. Didn't see the mess of filleted fish so you two must have been further out. Lucky you on fishing out the phone, so far I've lost a tipup light and a flashlight, I'm tempted to tie floats on everything valuable next time :lol:

Managed a keeper pike before sundown and something that shocked me way past sundown was another pike on a tipup. Was targetting burbs so it was surprising seeing teeth coming out of the hole, luckily it was cleanly hooked so it gets the chance to scare someone else on another night. First time on Clear that I got skunked for burbs as I was interested if they spawned yet, anyone know?

4D7
03-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Wow thats a crazy adventure lol. Can anyone PM me directions to clear lake, I know that it is east of stavely, also what are the regulations cant seem to find them online.

BearnDown
03-05-2009, 04:28 PM
5-10 mins East of Stavley, cross the bridge and turn right through the lil parking lot and down onto the ice.

Lots of Big Pike in that lake. We got a 20#+ last weekend.

3 Pike over 63 cms 3 walleye over 50 cms and 10 burbot. Bait allowed.