PDA

View Full Version : Lac La Biche Open NOW for fishing

Lefty-Canuck
05-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Province opens fishing season early on Lac la Biche
Anglers interested in fishing in Lac la Biche have the opportunity to cast their lines four days earlier this year.

“People are welcome to fish in Lac La Biche effective immediately. This is one way we can provide Fort McMurray residents staying in the Lac La Biche area with a well-deserved family recreational opportunity.”

Shannon Phillips, Minister of Environment and Parks
This change in opening day is for Lac la Biche only; no other lakes in the area will open early. The early start of the fishing season will not affect the fishery or the fish populations as with the warm spring the fish have spawned early.

All regulations will remain in effect and will be enforced. Catch limits for Lac La Biche are:

Walleye limit – 0
Pike limit – 1 over 75 cm
Perch limit – 15
Lake whitefish limit – 3
Burbot limit - 10
Sport-fishing licences can be purchased online or at participating vendors. Fort McMurray residents who need their WiN numbers can call the AlbertaRELM Help Desk at 1-888-944-5494.

LC

Sumara
05-11-2016, 05:18 PM
That's great! Hopefully the people up there can get their lines wet and have some fun amidst this crisis.

idaman
05-11-2016, 05:39 PM
No offense,but do you have a government link for this information???
Never trust what you read on a forum 100% without verifying it first, especially AO...

Talking moose
05-11-2016, 06:32 PM
No offense,but do you have a government link for this information???
Never trust what you read on a forum 100% without verifying it first, especially AO...

Looks like his quotes are directly from a link. "" he's one of the few I would trust for accurate info. Other than that, I hear what your sayin....

Talking moose
05-11-2016, 06:41 PM
http://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=41744532FB530-AD5A-F59D-F14A837E71A02AA4

Bergerboy
05-11-2016, 06:50 PM
Good move!

idaman
05-11-2016, 07:29 PM
http://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=41744532FB530-AD5A-F59D-F14A837E71A02AA4

Sweet thanks...
Every little gesture counts at times like these...

Bushmonkey
05-11-2016, 10:06 PM
It's true, I spoke with a officer today.

I do wish it was catch and release only until the season was supposed to open up.

Lefty-Canuck
05-11-2016, 10:39 PM
It's true, I spoke with a officer today.

I do wish it was catch and release only until the season was supposed to open up.

Opens in 3 days as it is.

LC

Egymcara
05-12-2016, 11:06 AM
This lake is going to get pounded and there will be a ton of illegal harvesting. When I realized so many people would be staying in that area, my immediate thoughts were concern for the lake itself and surrounding lakes. I just hope law enforcement in the area keeps a close eye on that body of water for the weeks to come. Such a great lake and it would be a shame to see any decline in the fisheries. I'm not trying to put a negative light on the situation but it needs to be said.

Talking moose
05-12-2016, 11:15 AM
This lake is going to get pounded and there will be a ton of illegal harvesting. When I realized so many people would be staying in that area, my immediate thoughts were concern for the lake itself and surrounding lakes. I just hope law enforcement in the area keeps a close eye on that body of water for the weeks to come. Such a great lake and it would be a shame to see any decline in the fisheries. I'm not trying to put a negative light on the situation but it needs to be said.

Your saying there will be a ton of poaching because there are evacuees in the area?

THERICARDO
05-12-2016, 11:30 AM

Yeah bc I am sure the evacuees are all poachers...

Egymcara
05-12-2016, 12:47 PM
Yeah bc I am sure the evacuees are all poachers...

I'm saying that because of the amount of increased fisherman on the lake combined with certain individuals not knowing the regulations, illegal harvesting will be higher. Don't take a statement out of context please! I didn't say all evacuees are poachers and I didn't even mention the word poaching for a reason. Illegal harvesting will happen regardless, its a simple math formula.

# of people + lack of general awareness + blatant disregard + mortality + constant pressure = Dead fish

Opa
05-12-2016, 01:04 PM
Went by several of the boat launches on the lake today. Nothing parked there, not even the avid locals. The evacuees were probably busy, because there was a lineup of at least 1000 + deep outside of the Bold Centre in the cash lineup. It should make for a busy time for the "stores", local watering holes & LEO. They have already experienced a 5 fold increase in business. The weekend will no doubt be no different. Boats seem to be a rare commodity in the area right now.

Double_A_Ron
05-13-2016, 03:29 AM
Makes total sense....

Open up for fishing as a gesture for Fort McMurray evacuees.

BUT...

They still have to purchase a license to fish.

And better hope their fishing gear (and possibly boat) were the first thing on their mind when the evacuated. Otherwise they'll need to purchase new equipment with the limited funds they have for the necessities.

And what about the evacuees in Edmonton ?

Seems like a very empty gesture to me. So empty, they probably should just not have bothered.

You're either bullying ppl on here or just being a downer that's all I ever seen in your posts. I don't like the NDP, and I don't like the extra pressure on one of the lakes in my local area, but for the thousands of evacuees stuck in LLB giving them the OPTION to go fishing instead of hanging out at the Bold centre is better than no extra options.

You don't need a boat to fish a lake, a dock works fine to wet a line. And if ppl don't have supplies to go many of us have spare tackle to lend or even donate so a family can fish.

Edmonton evacuees can go to west Ed and use all the attractions free, not an option for those not in the city.

idaman
05-13-2016, 05:29 AM
You're either bullying ppl on here or just being a downer that's all I ever seen in your posts. I don't like the NDP, and I don't like the extra pressure on one of the lakes in my local area

So I'm not the only one who thinks this...

smitty9
05-13-2016, 09:08 AM
You're either bullying ppl on here or just being a downer that's all I ever seen in your posts.

???

Seriously DoubleRon, idaman? Really? Let’s test your assertion of “bullying” and of being a “downer”.

You see, your problem is that on this particular Friday I don’t have much a life today between eating breakfast, watching the Daily Show, and doing bookkeeping. Or, in this case, avoiding bookkeeping. :)

So here’s a sample, based on a search of Jet’s replies. In my opinion, he has given very helpful advice, or at the very least, simply thoughtful replies to the following threads:

(By the way, I don’t know Jet. Don't know his real name. I couldn’t pick him out of a lineup and vice versa)

Helpful advice / reasonable responses:

On my canoe thread.
On the Len Thompson UV thread.
On the grizzly warning thread.
On the bump boards thread.
On the Lake Trout spot North Sask thread
On the Glenmore Reservoir thread
On the boat launch lower Kananskis thread
On the Best lIne for Salmon fishing thread
On the poplar fluff thread
On the what’s your thoughts thread
On the Balsa Lure making thread
On the misleading walleye regs thread
On the Pigeon PP baot launch thread
On the Sunbreaker cove? Boat luamch at Sylvan lake thread
On the just a polite reminder thread
On the 2016 open water condition thread
On the fishing with trolling motor thread
On the Cold Lake walleyes thread
On the downrigger weights thread
On the St. Mary’s launch thread
On the walleye draws thread

Not to mention the pretty comprehensive guide to trolling batteries he wrote. He didn’t have to do that for everyone’s benefit. Yet he took the time and did.

Should I go on?

So DoubleRon I’m not sure where you justify your accusations.
idaman, I still haven’t seen anything reasonable for you in terms of a positive contribution.

I think both of you should take a pill and go fishing. Perhaps Lac la Biche?

As for me, to get back to the topic, I respectfully disagree with Jet. Empty gesture perhaps, but still, even if a few people take advantage, it was nice of ESRD to do.

Smitty

Twitch
05-13-2016, 09:50 AM
All right time to Segway here...anyone have a good fishing spot on LLB around Sir Winston Churchill Park...taking the family camping at the provincial park and would like to catch some fish from canoe while there.. It will be my sons first ever fishing experience so I'd like to make it a fun one...thanks guys

SNAPFisher
05-13-2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks for that, you really do hate that bookwork :-)

I agree fully with you, something is always better than nothing.

I've just emailed ESRD to ask them to make it family free fishing for Fort Mac residents for the duration of the evacuation for Lac La Biche and asked them to make it family free fishing for those same people displaced to other areas according to regulations.

Hopefully some of you will do the same, and maybe they'll make it a little more meaningful.

Easy to police by looking for Debit Cards or Driving License.

Yeppers! Did the same. I think the other 2 took your response the wrong way and this shows what you really mean. Which makes way more sense. In other words, nice gesture and let`s make it easy for them.

The comments from others on increased poaching....so sad. If everything you own burns to a crisp, I hope you get some perspective then. The basic lack of human decency I see on here from some individuals is pretty disturbing.

smitty9
05-13-2016, 10:01 AM
Thanks for that, you really do hate that bookwork :-)

I loathe it with am undying passion.