PDA

View Full Version : Opening day sunday. Where are you going

-JR-
05-12-2016, 05:59 AM
Heading out to Pigeon lake for opening day May 15
Where are you going ?

JohninAB
05-12-2016, 06:33 AM
Be driving past Gregoire Lake, like I have been all week going, darn wish I could wet a line.

Hope everyone stays safe this opening weekend and tight lines.

Mad_On_Fishing
05-12-2016, 07:47 AM
debating on cold lake for lakers or pierce lake.
still waiting on my downrigger mounts to be fabricated so might be pierce

KieRih70
05-12-2016, 04:54 PM
I wish I could hit cold lake but for the first shakedown of the season i am staying closer to home and hitting Wab.

Tight Lines
Chris

YeeHaw
05-12-2016, 05:08 PM
Hoping to get out to Cold Lake, but my lovely neighbors took off to Ontario and left a note on our door asking to look after their dog. If I make it, I'll be having to take care of that yappy dog on the way.:fighting0007:

cribfisher
05-12-2016, 05:21 PM
Unfortunately going to miss opening day as I am heading to Marathon tomorrow. Oh well as long as I'm fishing.

Salmon Slayer Lenny
05-13-2016, 10:31 AM
Hoping to get out to Cold Lake, but my lovely neighbors took off to Ontario and left a note on our door asking to look after their dog. If I make it, I'll be having to take care of that yappy dog on the way.:fighting0007:

Did they happen to leave on that extremely windy day the other day, that just might have happened to blow the note away??? :sHa_shakeshout:

Can't make opening day, probably do Wab later in the week. It's close and convenient.

marty1
05-13-2016, 12:17 PM
Just bought an acreage out at gull lake so I'll be heading out there for my first boat ride / fishing.

Mackinaw
05-13-2016, 01:02 PM
Going to cold to try out my new 50lb downrigger ball.....jk

Mack

Salmon Slayer Lenny
05-13-2016, 01:08 PM
Going to cold to try out my new 50lb downrigger ball.....jk

Mack

You need 75#'s, minimum... :sHa_sarcasticlol:

SNAPFisher
05-13-2016, 01:09 PM
Jasper bound to sight fish for monster whites on Talbot and fly fish for pike. Might make a stop at Maligne too if the ice is open. Reminds me, I gotta check the Maligne lake cam.

KegRiver
05-13-2016, 04:52 PM
Heading out to Pigeon lake for opening day May 15
Where are you going ?

Season opened the beginning of the month at my local fishing hole.
It's the only option within two hours drive so that's where I go.

I've been busy working fields for the past two weeks so I couldn't do much fishing.
That's done now so as soon as I get one of my boats checked out for the season I hope to do a bit of Lake fishing.

I'm really not sure where I'll go. My finances restrict me a lot so I may have to settle fo a small lake two hours away. Unless one of my buds offer to do the driving.

Mackinaw
05-13-2016, 05:25 PM
You need 75#'s, minimum... :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Wish I had been told earlier.

Mack

YeeHaw
05-13-2016, 10:21 PM
Did they happen to leave on that extremely windy day the other day, that just might have happened to blow the note away??? :sHa_shakeshout:

Can't make opening day, probably do Wab later in the week. It's close and convenient.

Texted us after they left

does it ALL outdoors
05-14-2016, 05:57 AM
wab

binnzer32
05-14-2016, 10:13 AM
Let me know how you do. Best of luck man.

QUOTE=SNAPFisher;3229024]Jasper bound to sight fish for monster whites on Talbot and fly fish for pike. Might make a stop at Maligne too if the ice is open. Reminds me, I gotta check the Maligne lake cam.[/QUOTE]

jkbloom
05-14-2016, 10:46 AM
I will be on Cold lake early tomorrow morning, fish for the day with my son, he is now old enough to set up his own downrigger and drive the boat, it's now Dad's time to relax

KegRiver
05-14-2016, 01:04 PM
Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and head for Winagami if I want any fish.

The peace is coming up fast and the water is getting too dirty. So much for that fishing hole.

So it's the lakes or nothing till June 1.

Retirement is supposed to be payback for all the years of hard work, what it really is, is all kinds of time to enjoy life and no money to do it with.

It sucks. I hope I find work soon, at least I'll have something to do with my time.

RavYak
05-14-2016, 05:13 PM
Hard to consider it opening day for me since I have already been out 20-30 times this year but looks like we are heading to Cold as well. Hopefully there is a little bit of room between the boats tomorrow lol.

FillinTheFreezer
05-14-2016, 10:35 PM
I'm going to good ol' dependable Hanmore.

The kids and I have never been skunked there and you might even pull lunch outta the lake.

I'm curious what the water level is like though....

Best of luck everyone.

Mackinaw
05-16-2016, 11:56 AM
Hard to consider it opening day for me since I have already been out 20-30 times this year but looks like we are heading to Cold as well. Hopefully there is a little bit of room between the boats tomorrow lol.

Were you in the orange or white kayak.

Mack

RavYak
05-16-2016, 12:50 PM
Were you in the orange or white kayak.

Mack

I was in the white kayak, a friend was in the red one.

We couldn't figure out what they wanted. Ended up with 4 between us, lost a couple and had a few more bites but that was all. Talking to a couple other groups they were all skunked so maybe was just a tough day out there, I know we tried darn near everything we could think of.

How did you make out?

Mackinaw
05-16-2016, 02:05 PM
I was in the white kayak, a friend was in the red one.

We couldn't figure out what they wanted. Ended up with 4 between us, lost a couple and had a few more bites but that was all. Talking to a couple other groups they were all skunked so maybe was just a tough day out there, I know we tried darn near everything we could think of.

How did you make out?

I landed 17 lost one

Passed two kayaks in front of garner beach figured one was you

Mack

RavYak
05-16-2016, 02:25 PM
I landed 17 lost one

Passed two kayaks in front of garner beach figured one was you

Mack

That is a decent day out there then. It was my first time out there with my kayak, usually we use another buddies boat. I like using my kayak but Cold Lake is definitely more of a boat lake and I was missing the engine and electric downriggers lol. Glad I finally got out and caught a laker from my kayak though, been wanting to do it for a couple years and couldn't have asked for a better day weather wise. I definitely need a longer downrigger line if I try and use my kayak out there again as I couldn't effectively fish any of the deep water.

Mackinaw
05-16-2016, 02:33 PM
That is a decent day out there then. It was my first time out there with my kayak, usually we use another buddies boat. I like using my kayak but Cold Lake is definitely more of a boat lake and I was missing the engine and electric downriggers lol. Glad I finally got out and caught a laker from my kayak though, been wanting to do it for a couple years and couldn't have asked for a better day weather wise. I definitely need a longer downrigger line if I try and use my kayak out there again as I couldn't effectively fish any of the deep water.

The weather was the best... how long is your downrigger line. Cold is a pretty big lake for a kayak.

Mack

Mackinaw
05-16-2016, 02:35 PM
I fish usually no deeper then 90 ft and in 95 to 110 fow.

Mack

Kurt505
05-16-2016, 02:57 PM
I fish usually no deeper then 90 ft and in 95 to 110 fow.

Mack

We did ok in deeper water, landed a 78cm laker and lost a monster.

RavYak
05-16-2016, 02:58 PM
The weather was the best... how long is your downrigger line. Cold is a pretty big lake for a kayak.

Mack

100 ft of line but with only a 4 lb weight I was probably only fishing 70-80 ft down at the deepest. We were marking fish all over from 30 down to 120, just didn't have the right lure or something.

I am going to put some 100 lb braid line on instead, hopefully can fit 200-300 feet on the downrigger. That way could fish down to 120 ft(deepest we have caught them in boat) and have some extra to cut off a bit every few trips. Hopefully with the braid will have less blow back as well.

Cold is a big lake for a kayak but it only took us maybe an hour to get out to that spot and I have been out in nasty conditions so with such a nice forecast wasn't worried. If I can find a way I will use my kayak on Lake Athabasca lol.

Mackinaw
05-16-2016, 03:18 PM
100 ft of line but with only a 4 lb weight I was probably only fishing 70-80 ft down at the deepest. We were marking fish all over from 30 down to 120, just didn't have the right lure or something.

I am going to put some 100 lb braid line on instead, hopefully can fit 200-300 feet on the downrigger. That way could fish down to 120 ft(deepest we have caught them in boat) and have some extra to cut off a bit every few trips. Hopefully with the braid will have less blow back as well.

Cold is a big lake for a kayak but it only took us maybe an hour to get out to that spot and I have been out in nasty conditions so with such a nice forecast wasn't worried. If I can find a way I will use my kayak on Lake Athabasca lol.

I switch my riggers to braid last year blow back did get better. Use to fish out of a kayak years ago to old to paddle that much h now lol.
Mack

RavYak
05-16-2016, 04:09 PM
I switch my riggers to braid last year blow back did get better. Use to fish out of a kayak years ago to old to paddle that much h now lol.
Mack

As you probably noticed we peddle instead of paddle(Hobie kayak, one of the coolest inventions ever lol). I couldn't imagine going 20+ kms like we did yesterday or dragging a downrigger ball around with a paddle kayak but with the peddle kayak it is easy.

lakerman
05-16-2016, 04:43 PM
As you probably noticed we peddle instead of paddle(Hobie kayak, one of the coolest inventions ever lol). I couldn't imagine going 20+ kms like we did yesterday or dragging a downrigger ball around with a paddle kayak but with the peddle kayak it is easy.

Ever try a ditsy diver versus the down riggers on the yaks:confused:

Mackinaw
05-16-2016, 04:51 PM

Yes I notice peddling did look easier can you put the motor insert in yours?

Mack

RavYak
05-16-2016, 06:12 PM
Ever try a ditsy diver versus the down riggers on the yaks:confused:

No I have never owned one. I thought about it but you are limited on depths and I would also need a line counter reel to fish it effectively so it was more cost effective and depth flexible to get the downrigger

Yes I notice peddling did look easier can you put the motor insert in yours?

Mack

There is a company that makes a motor insert for my kayak but they are crazy expensive(2150 USD). Nice small light weight and with a powerful lithium battery but I can live without it for that price. The propel system used on the Hobies is surprisingly effective and a guy can cover a lot of ground. I have well over 200 kms on my kayak this year alone already.

Mackinaw
05-16-2016, 06:52 PM
No I have never owned one. I thought about it but you are limited on depths and I would also need a line counter reel to fish it effectively so it was more cost effective and depth flexible to get the downrigger

There is a company that makes a motor insert for my kayak but they are crazy expensive(2150 USD). Nice small light weight and with a powerful lithium battery but I can live without it for that price. The propel system used on the Hobies is surprisingly effective and a guy can cover a lot of ground. I have well over 200 kms on my kayak this year alone already.

I think for that price I could do a lot of peddling lol

Mack

-JR-
05-16-2016, 10:46 PM
Pigeon
Made it out with Sportsmen to Pigeon Lake .Had a great day . Went threw two minnow trays. You can do the math how many we caught . Caught a lot of over 50 ,73 was the biggest. They were deep around 18 ft