PDA

View Full Version : Great Slave Lake Tips Wanted

Marty S
05-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Im figuring I will be in Yellowknife late June, hoping to get out on the lake but doing it myself, close to town tho. Can you give me some pointers? Id sure like to get into the lakers, is it good fishing near town? Do I need to downrig? If so what depth, etc etc. Totally green on this one.

Can I get much done fishing from shore? What should I do?

fishhawk1850
05-14-2016, 10:29 AM
Im figuring I will be in Yellowknife late June, hoping to get out on the lake but doing it myself, close to town tho. Can you give me some pointers? Id sure like to get into the lakers, is it good fishing near town? Do I need to downrig? If so what depth, etc etc. Totally green on this one.

Can I get much done fishing from shore? What should I do?

Hello Marty , I will also be up there in mid June I will probably have my boat up there and looking for some Lakers close to town. Let me know when you get there and we could do some exploring if nothing else. I am also green to Slave lake so there will be a learning curve . Fishhawk

Talking moose
05-14-2016, 10:34 AM
East arm is known for lakers but I'm sure there are some spots just outside of Yellowknife bay as well. Maybe head up the ingraham trail and hit up prosperous lake for lakers.

RavYak
05-14-2016, 01:03 PM
If you hunt online can find a bit of depth information. Looks somewhat shallow right close to Yellowknife. Late June might still be some close by but I am guessing you need to head out to the main part of lake to really get into them(maybe not though, never been) which would be a decent haul.

Lakers can be caught all year on the dipsy divers etc but a downrigger would definitely greatly increase your chances I would bet. No idea on depth up there, you would have to pick deep or shallow then work your way in/out till you find them.

Safety D
05-14-2016, 01:41 PM
Don't even mess around if you want lakers the east arm is where it's at

Talking moose
05-14-2016, 02:15 PM
By the way, late June is great for big pike in the bay's around Yellowknife. I've mostly fished the Mckenzie around ft. Providence but have fished Yellowknife bay and the river.

HighlandHeart
05-15-2016, 08:40 AM
To get lakers your best bet is to rent a canoe and head into Hidden lake, just past Prelude lake down the Ingram trail. You will want to overnight camp because it is an hour and a half and three or four portages to get in. If you can't afford to get to the East Arm and you are happy with Pike, get someone with a boat to take you down to the mink farm and hit up the two pike holes. If Carlos Gonzales is still running fishing tours, he will take you where the fish are. If you don't have a boat, you can try fishing from shore for pike at Pontoon lake or from the rocks down by Air Tindi floatplane base. Good luck, the fishing is great up there but you have to know where to go and have a way to get there. If you are boating in the bay south of town, you might want to bring a local with you in the boat. There are crazy rocks and reefs in Great Slave Lake and they can be hard to see.

Marty S
05-17-2016, 10:37 PM
I guess that's why people hire guides. I still haven't decided if I'm heading up there, I figured the lake was caked with fish, guess not, got to know what you're doing as usual, from the sounds of it. Maybe I'll have to take a plane ride one day, $750, and go git some lakers.

Lowrance Fishburn
05-18-2016, 08:47 AM
Great slave? Jealous, I've wanted to fish that lake for years. Big, big body of water, kind of intimidating. But you know there are going to be some big, big fish in that bowl, like monstrous big. I would probably stay within view of the shoreline without knowing the lake though. It's almost an ocean and I imagine it would be pretty rough if the wind decided to pick up and u were out in the middle of the lake. Good luck up there though, post some pics of your results!!