PDA

View Full Version : Pike rod and reel recommendation.

J_mcrane
05-13-2016, 07:28 PM
So, I'm a new Canadian. Y'alls pike are a bit different than the bass I'm used to. I realized I need a new rod and reel combo. I'm most comfortable with spinners.

I don't need the fanciest, Just simple quality.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HowSwedeItIs
05-13-2016, 07:32 PM
Always heard good things about ugly stiks, they seem like real workhorses

welcome to Alberta and to the forum too

millsboy79
05-13-2016, 08:26 PM
X2 on the ugly stik

That's what the wife and I use for pike ... hers is newer by mine is a older one both have caught some half decent ones.

Just don't forget about the line and leader are at least as important as the rod. I recommend berkley nanofil line and a stainless or titanium leader. But any braid is better than mono.

Have fun

Walleye101
05-13-2016, 08:33 PM
Fenwich medium heavy 7' one piece and Quantum speed freak spin cast reel.

ETOWNCANUCK
05-13-2016, 09:18 PM
I have a Fenwick HMX MH paired with a Shimano Saros 4000 wound with 50 LB Power Pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mickeyjim
05-13-2016, 09:55 PM
Stradic c4 on a g Loomis nrx rod. It will cost you about 700 but those hammer handle Pike will be more than enough compensation

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

YeeHaw
05-13-2016, 10:17 PM
Another vote for Fenwick HMX

Joe Quiroga
05-13-2016, 10:29 PM
Ugly Stik GX2 and a Shimano Solstice 4000 from Canadiantire. Run you around 80 bucks. I've caught a lot of pike on mine and it's still going strong.

Asillywalrus
05-13-2016, 10:32 PM
Fenwick HMX and a Pfleuger President would be my choice.

Walleyedude
05-14-2016, 09:14 AM
Shimano Convergence-Clarus-Compre depending on your budget. You want a quality graphite rod to feel the bites but also to be able to feel how your lure is running, bottom, rocks, weeds, etc... Ugly Stiks are not the answer IMHO.

I'd look for a 7' rod, MH power, moderate action is ideal, but a fast action will work fine.

For a reel, Shimano Symetre would be where I'd start and go up from there according to your budget. You want a reel with X-Ship if your going to be retrieving big lures and fighting big fish. If that's not in the budget, the new Sedona is a great reel. Personally I'd go 3000 size because I don't like big reels, but a 4000 will give you a bit more casting distance and cranking power.

I'd spool it up with 30-40 lb Power Pro Super Slick braid. You'll get amazing casting distance and the line is ultra tough. Silent through the guides too which I love.

wellpastcold
05-14-2016, 10:53 AM
There is no reason why standard bass gear won't suffice for pike.

cranky
05-14-2016, 03:46 PM

^^^What he said.^^^

57charlie
05-15-2016, 02:12 PM
A medium rod & a quality spinning reel with a good drag & setup with 12-15 lb line can bring in pretty much every Pike...just depends on how much of a fight you want to have. I've had more than my share of fun taking 18 pounders in on ultralight reels & rods.

catnthehat
05-15-2016, 05:21 PM
If you are fishing the weeds fir bass with a bait cast or medium spinning rig you will be fine for pike .
Cat

58thecat
05-15-2016, 05:49 PM

Exactly, throw on some good ol Berkeley fire line fusion 20lbs test and get ready to wrasse the gators of the north.

Welcome to the forum, some call it the dark side...:)

HighlandHeart
05-15-2016, 07:28 PM
Ugly Stiks are great for dropping on the rocks, walking on, bending in the trunk, getting yanked out of your hand or getting stuck between the cooler and the canoe. Great rod for pike and lakers. It's nice to use something so difficult to break that isn't hard on the pocketbook. I don't know anything about reels.

deschambault
05-15-2016, 07:43 PM
When I moved to Texas years ago I used my pike gear on bass and it worked fine - use your bass gear on pike and it should also work fine.

cube
05-16-2016, 10:45 AM
So, I'm a new Canadian. Y'alls pike are a bit different than the bass I'm used to. I realized I need a new rod and reel combo. I'm most comfortable with spinners.

I don't need the fanciest, Just simple quality.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a bass flippin stick you will have a perfect pike rod.

Depending on the size of the lures you planning on going to I prefer MH or Heavy. If you look on the rod most (esp the good ones ) will have a lure and line weight recommendation so match that up with the lure weights you plan on using. I would then probably even go up one rod from there as I find most guys start using small lures and then move up in lure size.

Good luck to you

Lowrance Fishburn
05-16-2016, 11:28 AM
The question really is, how much money would u like to spend?

An uglystick GX2 is a very cheap, i mean, affordable rod but it is mainly made of a type of pliable fiberglass as opposed to graphite so what you get is great durability, not great sensitivity.

If you're mainly fishing pike in thick weeds though, an Uglystick isn't a terrible rod. If you plan to switch it up and target walleye or other species you will find the Uglystick isn't quite up to snuff. There are many options for cheapo reels too but again, you generally get what you pay for.

I have always been a Shimano guy for rods and reels. A very good, very versatile rod that wont break the bank is the Shimano Compre. You can get whatever size/power you like but for pike and walleye a 6'6" or 6'8" medium power, fast action is a great rod and you will feel everything. \

For reels, The Shimano Sahara is a great bang for your buck option paired with the Compre. They run about 90 bucks and the rod runs about a buck twenty-five. You can get much less and much more expensive pairings but this is one that will get the job done as well as last for many years if u treat it right.

Shimano all the way