PDA

View Full Version : Downriggers on a Lund

slingshot
05-15-2016, 08:12 AM
I'm thinking about purchasing a couple Scottie electrics on my Lund tyee.The questions I have is ill be fishing lake trout water and west coast island and was wondering which Scottie to get.I also ordered the sport track system and two aluminum downrigger brackets. If anyone has any info on using this type of a setup please let me know. I can't seem to find any info on the weight of ball this sport track system would hold or downrigger. All help will be apreciated.

Salmon Slayer Lenny
05-15-2016, 08:49 AM
I'm thinking about purchasing a couple Scottie electrics on my Lund tyee.The questions I have is ill be fishing lake trout water and west coast island and was wondering which Scottie to get.I also ordered the sport track system and two aluminum downrigger brackets. If anyone has any info on using this type of a setup please let me know. I can't seem to find any info on the weight of ball this sport track system would hold or downrigger. All help will be apreciated.

The cost difference isn't that much so I'd go with the 1106's with the extendible booms. Mount them as close to the stern as you are able. If you're able, buy them on the coast/island, save yourself at least $100 per, unless you buy used.

As for the weight issue, I'm sure that Peppyspan and RavYak can calculate the numbers for you... :shark:

Willowtrail
05-15-2016, 09:11 AM
Go with the best you can afford. The 2106 High Performance are amazing and retrieve the weights fast. The 60" book is also really nice.

As for the track I haven't used one but a buddy has a similar setup in his crestliner and we had no issues with 8-15lbs

EZM
05-15-2016, 12:45 PM
I purchased a set of the Lund downrigger brackets that are designed to be used in the Pro Track system but wasn't happy with how solid they were. These brackets are ok for a light 8lb or 10lb ball - but they really flex quite a bit if the waves are choppy. I'd hate to loose my downrigger, rod and ball overboard. It really didn't feel too secure and limited me to the disadvantages of using a small ball.

I decided to use a high rise downrigger base and mount my scotty on the back deck. I can now run a heavy ball ( I have a 12lb and a 15lb ) and the results are a more solid base, and, of course, all the advantages that come with using a heavier ball.

Here is a picture .....

maximusII
06-24-2016, 03:23 PM
can you send more pics on how you mounted that on the back deck.

I looked at the L brackets but I do not feel right about drilling though my gunnel.

cube
06-27-2016, 01:21 PM

If I were doing it again I would probably go with the Cisco Mounts. You can then move them around to find the area that works best for you.

http://www.ciscofishingsystemsltd.com/shop/lund-mounts-5239

EZM
06-28-2016, 08:30 AM
can you send more pics on how you mounted that on the back deck.

I looked at the L brackets but I do not feel right about drilling though my gunnel.

I will try to remember to snap a few pics. and post them up this weekend maybe.

Really - it's pretty darn easy.

The riggers come with a base plate. This plate is the same one the high rise assembly comes with.

All I did was ....

1) dry fit everything and mark a suitable location. I was looking to make sure the position was comfortable from the boat and that the arm would extend over the side of the boat comfortably.

2) investigate to make sure I wouldn't be piercing something below the mounting location by crawling under there and having a peek. In this case there was nothing below where the bolts would go. The top deck is carpeted over thick aluminum backed by 3/4" marine plywood - and outstanding and solid surface to mount something like this.

3) Place the base plate in position and drill through the four holes on each corner and secure it with a nut/bolt or coarse screw. This plate stays in place.

4) Whenever I want to mount the rigger - I secure the high riser onto the base plate (4 scotty wing nut bolts) and then the downrigger to the riser (which stays together in my case) and I'm in business. Takes 2 minutes and I'm fishing.