PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make it out to Wab for opening weekend?

untaken_moniker
05-18-2016, 07:46 PM
Just wondering how the fishing was. Heard from a buddy it was pretty slow. Hoping to get out this weekend if the rain holds off! :sHa_shakeshout:

RavYak
05-18-2016, 08:03 PM
Wab is wab according to a couple reports I have seen, lots of skinny pike and little walleye if you know where to find them. Too bad the fish quality isn't as good as it used to be.

diamond k
05-18-2016, 08:14 PM
If they don't start to manage the walleye harvest soon any days of great fishing will be a memory

sureshot
05-18-2016, 08:21 PM
They have totally destroyed that lake. Sad really

RavYak
05-18-2016, 08:23 PM
If they don't start to manage the walleye harvest soon any days of great fishing will be a memory

They aren't going to do anything. I have chatted with the biologist in charge and know others that have heard the same thing. Wab will never be opened to retention because they want it to be a trophy pike fishery close to the city...

Unfortunately the damage has already been done and I doubt it will ever regain its old glory as I expect it will just further stunt itself...

At least there are still a few decent fish in there, go catch them while you can...

Talking moose
05-18-2016, 08:45 PM
Wab will be a great Lake. It's going to take a loooong time though. High peaks, low peaks, stunting, etc.... but if left 0 retention, things will eventually even out. Might even take 20 or 30 years.

sureshot
05-18-2016, 08:51 PM
It was a great lake until they put all the walleye in there.

RavYak
05-18-2016, 08:57 PM
Wab will be a great Lake. It's going to take a loooong time though. High peaks, low peaks, stunting, etc.... but if left 0 retention, things will eventually even out. Might even take 20 or 30 years.

I was thinking 15-20 myself if it overcomes stunting by then. Can't decide if I think it will become a trophy pike or a trophy walleye lake though. If the walleye do reproduce well then I am kind of leading to the later with maybe the odd really nice pike.

morgan
05-18-2016, 09:07 PM
What is this province's deal with putting walleye at the top of the list?

Maybe if I am really lucky, and put my name in, i could get drawn for one of these rare trophy, heard fighting treasures.:thinking-006:

chriscosta
05-19-2016, 11:50 AM
I was out opening day and if you fish out front of fallis not by the point but in front of the houses in 8 to 10 fow you will be on walleye and jack steady all day we got easily 150 fish that day all on a fly rod too and we did see a few really good size ones too but they were trying to eat the walleye on our hooks 3 times that happened

Penner
05-19-2016, 12:47 PM
Walleye have destroyed the Wab fishery so don't fish there please...:test:

smitty9
05-19-2016, 12:58 PM
I think the solution is to lobby for walleye retention, and not with tags, rather, do it with a limited open harvest season.

Could look like this; Walleye, limit of 1, harvest season open from July 1st to August 31st. Or something similar.

Would thin them out.

Og Dumi
05-19-2016, 01:24 PM
Was there with a couple other members, biggest pike was 5lbs. Caught tons of skinny pike... and tiny walleye. The fish seem like they have anorexia. Did watch a pike maul a walleye half his size though.

RavYak
05-19-2016, 01:38 PM
I think the solution is to lobby for walleye retention, and not with tags, rather, do it with a limited open harvest season.

Could look like this; Walleye, limit of 1, harvest season open from July 1st to August 31st. Or something similar.

Would thin them out.

This is similar to what I proposed to the biologist last fall. I said with the current state of fish health that I believe it would go a long way to open it up for one summer with limits of 1 pike under 20 in and 1 walleye under 16 in to thin out the populations.

He started by arguing that the fish are healthy as far as they know... He kind of changed his tune after I sent him half a dozen example pictures and offered to send the ~250 more that I have...

He made it clear they won't be opening it in the forseeable future. Mother nature is gonna have to fix this situation.

morgan
05-19-2016, 06:24 PM
This is similar to what I proposed to the biologist last fall. I said with the current state of fish health that I believe it would go a long way to open it up for one summer with limits of 1 pike under 20 in and 1 walleye under 16 in to thin out the populations.

He started by arguing that the fish are healthy as far as they know... He kind of changed his tune after I sent him half a dozen example pictures and offered to send the ~250 more that I have...

He made it clear they won't be opening it in the forseeable future. Mother nature is gonna have to fix this situation.

I totally agree.

I've seen the pike fishing fall in Wabby.
It was my favorite ice fishing lake until I started catching a pile of small walleye and the odd snake like pike...
What is the bloody big deal on walleye? I cannot for the life of me understand the big ol' hard on for these fish??
Why have the big "they" started putting them in Wab?

bobalong
05-19-2016, 06:49 PM
I totally agree.

I've seen the pike fishing fall in Wabby.
It was my favorite ice fishing lake until I started catching a pile of small walleye and the odd snake like pike...
What is the bloody big deal on walleye? I cannot for the life of me understand the big ol' hard on for these fish??
Why have the big "they" started putting them in Wab?

Unless it has changed in the last few years Walleye are the most popular/targeted species in the province.

Mr Flyguy
05-19-2016, 07:06 PM
Went to Wab today (20th)and we had pretty good action for small pike, and lots of chunky walleye with fly rods.

Was going to put in at the town site launch but now they want $20 for launching and parking fee! So went back to the park.

Mr Flyguy
05-19-2016, 07:08 PM
Whoops, today is the 19th (seniors moment)

gorf
05-19-2016, 07:15 PM
We went Sunday night,one decent pike and a 60cm waleye, rest was the usual skinny stuff.

morgan
05-19-2016, 07:58 PM
Unless it has changed in the last few years Walleye are the most popular/targeted species in the province.
I am curious as to the reason behind this, because I believe you are right.
I think pike are a way better game fish...

untaken_moniker
05-20-2016, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the input fellas. I've only been fishing Wab for the last 3 summers and I, as mentioned, have noticed a seemingly drastic decline in the size of fish coming out. Can anyone explain to me how the stocking off Walleye in recent years has contributed, or directly affected, the Pike population?

Cheers,

Doug

Talking moose
05-20-2016, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the input fellas. I've only been fishing Wab for the last 3 summers and I, as mentioned, have noticed a seemingly drastic decline in the size of fish coming out. Can anyone explain to me how the stocking off Walleye in recent years has contributed, or directly affected, the Pike population?

Cheers,

Doug

Could it also be that these large pike are just dieing off? Or that big pike being in the lake caused more pressure on them as they were targeted resulting in more death by multiple poor handling? Perhaps 10-15 years back there was a couple really strong year classes?(really good spawn)

slough shark
05-20-2016, 08:46 AM

Cheers,

Doug

From what I have read about it a lot of it usually comes down to the timing of the spawn, walleye hatch before the pike and the walleye fry actually target the pike fry. That with the fact that walleye are a very effective mid level predator and take out a lot of feed needed for pike to grow bigger, big enough to make a dent on the walleye. It does find a balance eventually but it can take a while, which species comes out with the upper hand depends on what the lake is best suited to hold.

RavYak
05-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Could it also be that these large pike are just dieing off? Or that big pike being in the lake caused more pressure on them as they were targeted resulting in more death by multiple poor handling? Perhaps 10-15 years back there was a couple really strong year classes?(really good spawn)

My belief is the big pike are dying off primarily due to handling and fishing pressure.

The bigger problem is that the pike that would normally be growing up to replace these big pike are all sickly thin and stunting. You can literally catch 30+ inch fish that are only probably 3-4 lbs. Lots of these fish look bad and they don't even fight good they are so weak.

The catch and release and fishing pressure is going to decimate even more of these fish this year since these fish are so weak they can't deal with being caught multiple times and long times out of water etc. Even last year you had to be very quick in handling these fish or they would be very slow to take off and it isn't uncommon at all to see floaters in the high traffic fishing areas.

To untaken moniker,

The walleye have primarily affected the pike because the pike were already bordering on overrun and skinny as is and then fisheries dumped in 11 million walleye. Walleye are superior hunters especially at night and on a lake that's forage base was already taxed these walleye have decimated the remaining life. There are some spots that used to be great spots but now have very few fish at them because they are walleye type spots and the walleye have cleaned out the food source and moved to other parts of the lake. The walleye looked very healthy the first couple years but now even they are looking thin.

Talking moose
05-20-2016, 11:00 AM
My belief is the big pike are dying off primarily due to handling and fishing pressure.

The bigger problem is that the pike that would normally be growing up to replace these big pike are all sickly thin and stunting. You can literally catch 30+ inch fish that are only probably 3-4 lbs. Lots of these fish look bad and they don't even fight good they are so weak.

The catch and release and fishing pressure is going to decimate even more of these fish this year since these fish are so weak they can't deal with being caught multiple times and long times out of water etc. Even last year you had to be very quick in handling these fish or they would be very slow to take off and it isn't uncommon at all to see floaters in the high traffic fishing areas.

To untaken moniker,

The walleye have primarily affected the pike because the pike were already bordering on overrun and skinny as is and then fisheries dumped in 11 million walleye. Walleye are superior hunters especially at night and on a lake that's forage base was already taxed these walleye have decimated the remaining life. There are some spots that used to be great spots but now have very few fish at them because they are walleye type spots and the walleye have cleaned out the food source and moved to other parts of the lake. The walleye looked very healthy the first couple years but now even they are looking thin.
I agree with this. Coupled with some weaker year classes the large pike are dwindling.

EZM
05-20-2016, 01:55 PM
The introduction of walleye into this watershed has resulted in skinnier pike and stunted growth rates for those pike. I'm pretty sure many of us who have fished that lake for many years are in alignment with this observation and opinion.

Walleye create competition for food sources pike used to have to themselves. As Rav mentioned, they are better hunters, often hunt in smaller schools, effectively making them more efficient predators.

Some people ignorantly believe that pike should be getting healthier because they can just eat all the walleye. Unfortunately studies and actual facts tell us otherwise.

The reality is the positives the walleye themselves are, as a food source, to big pike is negligible.

Studies have shown even the large pike get more than >50% of their food from small forage like the same minnows and stuff the walleye are all eating.

This means the average pike is getting way less food into their mouths than they would have before the introduction of the masses of voracious walleyes.

I wish we could reduce this impact to the once trophy pike fishery. A tagged harvest would be something I would support.

Talking moose
05-20-2016, 02:35 PM
The introduction of walleye into this watershed has resulted in skinnier pike and stunted growth rates for those pike. I'm pretty sure many of us who have fished that lake for many years are in alignment with this observation and opinion.

Walleye create competition for food sources pike used to have to themselves. As Rav mentioned, they are better hunters, often hunt in smaller schools, effectively making them more efficient predators.

Some people ignorantly believe that pike should be getting healthier because they can just eat all the walleye. Unfortunately studies and actual facts tell us otherwise.

The reality is the positives the walleye themselves are, as a food source, to big pike is negligible.

Studies have shown even the large pike get more than >50% of their food from small forage like the same minnows and stuff the walleye are all eating.

This means the average pike is getting way less food into their mouths than they would have before the introduction of the masses of voracious walleyes.

I wish we could reduce this impact to the once trophy pike fishery. A tagged harvest would be something I would support.
I remember people from this forum(you know who you are;)) laughing and saying srd is so stupid for dumping walleye into wab because they would just be food for the northerns..... Never works that way.

slough shark
05-20-2016, 02:49 PM
With the way srd is handling a number of these lakes I wouldn't be surprised to see the odd fisherman taking things into their own hands and start being rough with walleye. Not condoning that of course but a lot of these regs on a number of these lakes are throwing the ecosystems out of whack. The rise in walleye numbers is directly correlated to the collapse of our pike fisheries throughout most of the province.

PerchBuster
05-20-2016, 05:54 PM
The Walleye in Wab will eventually proliferate to the point where they too have eaten themselves out of house and home. They can decimate the forage base in a relatively tiny watershed such as Wab. That doesn't bode well for the future of a Trophy Pike fishery. Pigeon is a fair example. The collapse in Wab has happened swiftly and quickly. Knowing the stress and pressure those fish are experiencing in that lake, as a conservation minded fisherman; I just can't bring myself to go there and fish anymore. Mortality after catch and release might just finish off what's left of the Trophy Class Pike in Wab and I choose not to contribute to that. Bet your bottom dollar though that you'll be able to purchase Walleye tags for that lake before long. That seems to be the way everything is going. Stock the bajeebers out of the Walleye in all of these lakes so you can turn them in to Pay and Take fisheries on the tag system, probably at the expense of all the other species already in those waterbodies.

RavYak
05-20-2016, 10:11 PM
I remember people from this forum(you know who you are;)) laughing and saying srd is so stupid for dumping walleye into wab because they would just be food for the northerns..... Never works that way.

I expected the pike to feed on the walleye and thought the walleye would have a tough time out there. The big pike definitely do feed on the walleye and I have seen them attack walleye multiple times but obviously not enough to keep them under control. I guess that is what happens when there are millions of walleye and only hundreds of big pike.

Salmon Slayer Lenny
05-20-2016, 10:25 PM
I thought there had been some discussion about opening it up to walleye, or was that just a rumor?

RavYak
05-20-2016, 10:29 PM
I thought there had been some discussion about opening it up to walleye, or was that just a rumor?

Must have just been a hope/rumour.

Direct quote from bio.

In a large survey of the public we got the feedback that Lake Wabamun should have a Trophy Management Objective meaning we will try to manage for good catches and large fish –for the time being the lake will remain at catch and release for all species.

Salmon Slayer Lenny
05-20-2016, 10:55 PM
Must have just been a hope/rumour.

Direct quote from bio.

Don't think it was hope, it had been suggested on this forum from someone reputable (can't recall or find the post).

Hopefully they adjust the fish sustainability index and adult density status to reflect what is being observed by sportsmen and their stocking of walleye.

If what is observed is factual, seems counterproductive to sacrifice one species with another when pike had been doing well.