PDA

View Full Version : backtrolling rivers

hayze17
05-20-2016, 09:27 AM
Has anyone taking the salmon/steelhead back trolling technique with hotshots/kwikfish and tried it in alberta rivers? what kind of success have you had? Walleye, pike, bullies? Was thinking about putting my driftboat in the wapiti and backtrolling through a bunch of runs and see what happens maybe use a Xrap or other version of a crank bait

marty1
05-20-2016, 09:51 AM
Has anyone taking the salmon/steelhead back trolling technique with hotshots/kwikfish and tried it in alberta rivers? what kind of success have you had? Walleye, pike, bullies? Was thinking about putting my driftboat in the wapiti and backtrolling through a bunch of runs and see what happens maybe use a Xrap or other version of a crank bait

I've done some back trolling in the bow river with a crick hopper and Rapala cd7, did actually quite well not sure why I haven't done it since, this has got to be 10 years now .I can't see why it wouldn't work for you ,im not familiar with the wapiti maybe someone else can help out in that area.Cheers

Red Bullets
05-20-2016, 07:18 PM
A kwikfish is great in the lakes for trout so I would think the river trout would take them. Goldeye , mooneye, and pike would pick up on kwikfish too. You might need a small inline weight just to take them down an extra foot or two.
In the rivers frog colors might be good.

warnniklz
05-21-2016, 11:05 AM
I've wondered this. Coming from BC and seeing sleds and drift boats on the NSR and Athabasca, I couldn't help but wonder if anyone has employed back trolling.