PDA

View Full Version : Females who fish

fishyfish
05-20-2016, 02:06 PM
Hey!
I haven't been on this site for more than a day but I'm just wondering if there are other females around Calgary interested in fishing. I'm finding it almost impossible to meet one and I can't be the only one.

jlgsgw
05-20-2016, 02:45 PM
Oh heyyyy! My names Josh a lina
And I just love to fish! Included is my most recent pic, talk soon! http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/f4f1782bb0cb0dacd654924ed24d6eac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Talking moose
05-20-2016, 02:47 PM
And I just love to fish! Included is my most recent pic, talk soon! http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/f4f1782bb0cb0dacd654924ed24d6eac.jpg

Incoming pm.

fishyfish
05-20-2016, 02:57 PM

I suppose I should have expected this :) but I'm a female looking for other females to fish with!!

jlgsgw
05-20-2016, 02:59 PM
I suppose I should have expected this :) but I'm a female looking for other females to fish with!!
Lol sorry I couldn't help, I was chuckling while posting it lol

catnthehat
05-20-2016, 03:05 PM
Hey!
I haven't been on this site for more than a day but I'm just wondering if there are other females around Calgary interested in fishing. I'm finding it almost impossible to meet one and I can't be the only one.

There are at least four that comer to mind, but for some reason I can't remember m,any except for fishrgirl and whitefishlady I think:confused:
Cat

rem338win
05-20-2016, 03:11 PM

Men aren't good enough eh? That is so sexist! I am outraged! OMG in this day and age! You're setting men back to the stone ages with this oppresive attitude. Shame on you....:scared0015:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/rem338win/oppressed%20man_zps46si8rl4.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/user/rem338win/media/oppressed%20man_zps46si8rl4.jpg.html)

On another note, I thought I saw a sign up for an all-girls club in the Fishing Hole awhile back. There was this one as well:

http://calgarywomenflyfishers.com/

fishyfish
05-20-2016, 03:19 PM
Men aren't good enough eh? That is so sexist! I am outraged! OMG in this day and age! You're setting men back to the stone ages with this oppresive attitude. Shame on you....:scared0015:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/rem338win/oppressed%20man_zps46si8rl4.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/user/rem338win/media/oppressed%20man_zps46si8rl4.jpg.html)

On another note, I thought I saw a sign up for an all-girls club in the Fishing Hole awhile back. There was this one as well:

http://calgarywomenflyfishers.com/

It's more that men who don't want to fish with me because I'm a girl, I've already been rejected a few times for it :(

I'm using a spinning reel rod, not ready for fly fishing yet, trying to learn the ropes first as I'm brand new to fishing but maybe sometime, thanks!

rem338win
05-20-2016, 03:42 PM
Weird. My girls go fishing with me all the time.

Stop asking married dudes to go fishing. :)

CK Angler
05-20-2016, 04:10 PM
If your on Facebook join Alberta fishing buddies, should be able to find someone to fish with there

fishyfish
05-20-2016, 04:20 PM
If your on Facebook join Alberta fishing buddies, should be able to find someone to fish with there

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

fishyfish
05-20-2016, 04:21 PM
Weird. My girls go fishing with me all the time.

Stop asking married dudes to go fishing. :)

Hahaha, I don't mean to!

millsboy79
05-20-2016, 04:32 PM
My wife is not on the forum but I think I got her "hooked"

If you're interested let me know.

Flieguy
05-20-2016, 04:34 PM
I'm using a spinning reel rod,

There's your problem. I wouldn't fish with a man who used a spinning rod either :evilgrin:

fishyfish
05-20-2016, 04:42 PM
My wife is not on the forum but I think I got her "hooked"

If you're interested let me know.

Of course! I just want to fish with anyone haha. I've only been a couple times so I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

fishyfish
05-20-2016, 04:43 PM
There's your problem. I wouldn't fish with a man who used a spinning rod either :evilgrin:

I guess I'm not going fishing with you then...

millsboy79
05-20-2016, 04:44 PM
Of course! I just want to fish with anyone haha. I've only been a couple times so I'm trying to learn as much as possible.
What is your rod set up with? So far we have been fishing for pike at chestermere lake.

fishyfish
05-20-2016, 04:56 PM
What is your rod set up with? So far we have been fishing for pike at chestermere lake.

Sorry I don't know any fishing lingo, I've basically just been doing my own thing. I bought a simple spinning reel rod combo and just have been using lures, I got a few kinds. I was at Chestermere lake on Tuesday, I was using a spoon but it kept getting stuck on the rocks and I actually ended up losing one.

tifftask55
05-20-2016, 05:41 PM
I hear that! I tend to go alone more often than not. Most of the guys I've asked, have agreed to go, then bailed later on. I'm a female beginner fly fisher, but I fish spin cast as well. Im no pro lol but I'm down for new friends... 😊

Weedy1
05-20-2016, 06:49 PM
Most of the guys I've asked, have agreed to go, then bailed later on. 😊

That's because the secondary brain kicked in reiterating the fact to the primary brain that they are married.

WayneChristie
05-20-2016, 06:58 PM
Pm whitefishlady she has other friends that fish too and she knows a lot. I have a couple female fishing buddies that love to fish. One from Rocky one from Strathmore. Latter one fishes in Calgary often or further south in my neighborhood..

KegRiver
05-20-2016, 08:41 PM
It's more that men who don't want to fish with me because I'm a girl, I've already been rejected a few times for it :(

I'm using a spinning reel rod, not ready for fly fishing yet, trying to learn the ropes first as I'm brand new to fishing but maybe sometime, thanks!

I hope you are kidding.

I love having ladies share my fishing time. Sisters, daughters, nieces, nephews, their spouses, my lady friends, their kids, my grand-kids, my co-workers, my neighbors, strangers beginners, experts, spectators, I don't care, I just love having company.

I don't understand not wanting company when fishing.

Growing up, fishing was a family outing, everyone went. It was social time.
What a wonderful way to spend a day, enjoying others company while putting food on the table.

Does it get any better then that!

I just wish there were more people who wanted to go fishing, berry picking, mushroom hunting, mint harvesting ext.

Too many people are too busy to enjoy life these days.

Tofinoguy
05-20-2016, 08:47 PM
http://http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/tofinoguy/IMG_0987_1.jpg

http://http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/tofinoguy/IMG_0833_3.jpg

My wife likes to fish and usually is pretty lucky

Brandon5555
05-20-2016, 09:22 PM
Always down for fishing with anyone who enjoys it as much as i do. Pm me. Btw im not a girl

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

fishyfish
05-20-2016, 09:29 PM
I hope you are kidding.

I love having ladies share my fishing time. Sisters, daughters, nieces, nephews, their spouses, my lady friends, their kids, my grand-kids, my co-workers, my neighbors, strangers beginners, experts, spectators, I don't care, I just love having company.

I don't understand not wanting company when fishing.

Growing up, fishing was a family outing, everyone went. It was social time.
What a wonderful way to spend a day, enjoying others company while putting food on the table.

Does it get any better then that!

I just wish there were more people who wanted to go fishing, berry picking, mushroom hunting, mint harvesting ext.

Too many people are too busy to enjoy life these days.

I'm really enjoying fishing, I would do berry picking, not sure about those other two haha. I ended up going alone today and caught my first fish and it was a trout :)

Bobdep
05-20-2016, 10:13 PM
I'm really enjoying fishing, I would do berry picking, not sure about those other two haha. I ended up going alone today and caught my first fish and it was a trout :)

Photos or it didn't happen...(kidding)

fishyfish
05-20-2016, 10:28 PM
Photos or it didn't happen...(kidding)

Have you tried taking a selfie with a fish, it's mostly my face and the blurry belly of the fish hahaha.

Bobdep
05-20-2016, 11:15 PM
Have you tried taking a selfie with a fish, it's mostly my face and the blurry belly of the fish hahaha.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160521/87d2804c9583e7701b0c07c259504125.jpg

KegRiver
05-21-2016, 01:12 AM

Too bad you don't live closer.

The other two are about living off the land. It's not just Mint that I harvest, there are a number of other plants I gather for the table. Lambs Quarters for example. They are better then Spinach and very easy to find and gather.
There is also Strawberry Blight, a great trail snack, Rose petals, makes a charming sweet tea, and others.
Fiddle Heads, Rat Root, ext.

We have stocked Trout here but I don't fish for them. I much prefer Pike and Walleye. I used to fish for Cuthroat Trout on the Ram River years ago and Rocky Mountain Whitefish and Grayling but these days I go for the best table fare.

I am thinking of trying for Perch. I know a Lake that is supposed to have lots of them and I do fish it. Very few people even know this lake exists so there is next to no fishing pressure. It has tons of small Pike and apparently a ton of Perch.

Since the limit on Pike is only three, being able to catch Perch would be a great addition to a trip since it is a ways to drive. Two hours for me in fact.

I would be on that Lake tonight if it hadn't snowed, but the trail in is impassible in wet weather.

jlgsgw
05-21-2016, 08:49 AM

Okay guys , I'm flattered by alllllll of the messages I recieved ( the one from lost arrow was so dirty I had to take a shower after I read it) but I'm saving myself for Caitlin Jenner. Thanks for the interest though.

fishyfish
05-21-2016, 09:50 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160521/87d2804c9583e7701b0c07c259504125.jpg

Haha but I wasn't keeping mine and I couldn't put him the ground :)

fishyfish
05-21-2016, 09:52 AM
Too bad you don't live closer.

The other two are about living off the land. It's not just Mint that I harvest, there are a number of other plants I gather for the table. Lambs Quarters for example. They are better then Spinach and very easy to find and gather.
There is also Strawberry Blight, a great trail snack, Rose petals, makes a charming sweet tea, and others.
Fiddle Heads, Rat Root, ext.

We have stocked Trout here but I don't fish for them. I much prefer Pike and Walleye. I used to fish for Cuthroat Trout on the Ram River years ago and Rocky Mountain Whitefish and Grayling but these days I go for the best table fare.

I am thinking of trying for Perch. I know a Lake that is supposed to have lots of them and I do fish it. Very few people even know this lake exists so there is next to no fishing pressure. It has tons of small Pike and apparently a ton of Perch.

Since the limit on Pike is only three, being able to catch Perch would be a great addition to a trip since it is a ways to drive. Two hours for me in fact.

I would be on that Lake tonight if it hadn't snowed, but the trail in is impassible in wet weather.
Awww yeah, it's poor weather this weekend :(

Bobdep
05-21-2016, 10:40 AM
Haha but I wasn't keeping mine and I couldn't put him the ground :)

I didn't keep that guy either, I recommend you go get a net today they give you whey more confidence when landing fish , I picked mine up from Walmart for $25 extendable handle ( made by lucky strike ) and it's pretty compact.
Good luck out there [emoji1303]

waterninja
05-21-2016, 11:06 AM
Okay guys , I'm flattered by alllllll of the messages I recieved ( the one from lost arrow was so dirty I had to take a shower after I read it) but I'm saving myself for Caitlin Jenner. Thanks for the interest though.

L.O.S.T Arrow sending dirty PM's? Wouldn't have thunk it.

fishyfish
05-21-2016, 11:35 AM
I didn't keep that guy either, I recommend you go get a net today they give you whey more confidence when landing fish , I picked mine up from Walmart for $25 extendable handle ( made by lucky strike ) and it's pretty compact.
Good luck out there [emoji1303]

Sweet, thanks, I will definitely get a net! What's a safe amount of time a fish can be out of the water?

Deep
05-21-2016, 12:28 PM
Gratz on the trout...as for having it out of the water- If you are releasing it, please keep it in the water,minimize the handling ( try a picture while in a wet net) and there are posts with proper handling techniques also. Enjoy the sport-the saying goes" There is more to fishing than fishing". Deep

Bobdep
05-21-2016, 02:44 PM
Sweet, thanks, I will definitely get a net! What's a safe amount of time a fish can be out of the water?

I think of it like this , how long can you hold your breath under water?... Kinda the same for the fish out of water I think , and with trout try to wet your hand before handling to keep the fishes film intact...

Bemoredog
05-21-2016, 03:05 PM
My lady friend often comes fishing with me. She's not as crazy about it as me, but having another lady around would probably make her happy and maybe get her more into the sport. We're in Calgary.

fishyfish
05-21-2016, 10:23 PM
I think of it like this , how long can you hold your breath under water?... Kinda the same for the fish out of water I think , and with trout try to wet your hand before handling to keep the fishes film intact...

Thanks, that's good to know! I ended up getting a net, I'm ready for my next trip!

millsboy79
05-22-2016, 04:58 PM
Thanks, that's good to know! I ended up getting a net, I'm ready for my next trip!
What kind of net did you get? If it's not rubber I would be careful using it on pike. I made the mistake of using mine and while in there he did a nice death roll and got so tangled that it ruined the hooks and took me longer than it really should have to untangle the lure from the net.

fishyfish
05-22-2016, 07:02 PM
What kind of net did you get? If it's not rubber I would be careful using it on pike. I made the mistake of using mine and while in there he did a nice death roll and got so tangled that it ruined the hooks and took me longer than it really should have to untangle the lure from the net.

Oh that's good to know! I think it's rubber, it's not cloth or anything soft.

Oh another question, I've seen a lot of photos of people holding fish with their thumb or finger in the fishes mouth. Is that how you're suppose to hold them or is that only if you're going to keep the fish and not release it?

millsboy79
05-22-2016, 09:48 PM
Oh that's good to know! I think it's rubber, it's not cloth or anything soft.

Oh another question, I've seen a lot of photos of people holding fish with their thumb or finger in the fishes mouth. Is that how you're suppose to hold them or is that only if you're going to keep the fish and not release it?
Really depends on the fish ... perch and bass can handle it and don't have the teeth that would do you damage. Walleye and pike you want to avoid at all costs ... but one look down that throat and you will figure that out quickly. Not sure if it was mentioned yet or not but if you intend on fishing for toothy fish you need a jaw spreader.

The good quality one with a bar on the top and bottom Jet recommended are at bass pro for 6.50. So I grab one of those before you have to try and Jerry rig something. On that note some half decent long pliers or other hook removal tool.

fishyfish
05-23-2016, 10:16 AM
Really depends on the fish ... perch and bass can handle it and don't have the teeth that would do you damage. Walleye and pike you want to avoid at all costs ... but one look down that throat and you will figure that out quickly. Not sure if it was mentioned yet or not but if you intend on fishing for toothy fish you need a jaw spreader.

The good quality one with a bar on the top and bottom Jet recommended are at bass pro for 6.50. So I grab one of those before you have to try and Jerry rig something. On that note some half decent long pliers or other hook removal tool.

Jaw spreader sounds very scary but I'll pick up a pair. I've got 2 types of pliers but now I'm wonder if they're long enough if I have to use a jaw spreader. Thanks for the tips! I'm actually hoping to go to wabamun in 2 weeks and I hear they have pike and walleye so this is good to know.

Cowtown guy
05-23-2016, 03:09 PM
They are not very scary at all. Pike have a tendency to clamp their mouth shut tightly on a lure, pliers or your fingers once they are in their mouths. Slip the mouth spreader into their yap and it opens right up enabling you to remove the hook.
http://www.wholesalesports.com/store/wsoo/en/Categories/Fishing/Fishing-Knives-%26-Tools/Fishing-Tools/Fish-Mouth-Opener/p/29683

Astrocyte
05-23-2016, 06:56 PM
I too wish there were some ladies I could meet up with to go fishing with from time to time. I am up in Edmonton though. Even a fella to meet up with down at the NSR. When my bf and I go for picnics or camping I am always fishing and I get a ton of interest for conversations from random guys who see me fishing away. So I know many many guys would very much enjoy having a lady accompany them even for some shore fishing.

Some pointers though, try to get a variety of lures. Spoons, jig heads, jig tails, a buzz bait or two, top water baits for some fun, couple crankbaits, sinkers, bobbers/floats, and a pile of wire liters. That way you can have the chance to fish for basically anything anywhere you go. I am not well schooled in the fishing lingo for rod and reel combos so I too get the basic rod and reel combo just so I can go out and fish. But I am slowly learning, and learning that I cannot afford half the stuff people recommend lol. Banking on that lotto win :)

Another thing about pliers, I use needlenose pliers. I just prefer them because I can get that reach without having to stick my hand in the fishes mouth incase they swallow it good. And if you can find yourself a decent multitool, mine has pliers, scissors, files, different sized knives. I use it mainly for cutting minnows and worms in half but it is always on me when I am out. I also have a few pairs of nail clippers for cutting line once I am done tying to hooks. I grew up with my Dad always having a pair or two in the tackle box so now I just keep them handy. Easier than pulling the scissors out of the multitool each time.

jinx
05-23-2016, 09:58 PM
Fly fishing, bait fishing, spin fishing :) im always happy to go fishing.. and im a girl close to calgary.

fishyfish
05-23-2016, 10:14 PM
They are not very scary at all. Pike have a tendency to clamp their mouth shut tightly on a lure, pliers or your fingers once they are in their mouths. Slip the mouth spreader into their yap and it opens right up enabling you to remove the hook.
http://www.wholesalesports.com/store/wsoo/en/Categories/Fishing/Fishing-Knives-%26-Tools/Fishing-Tools/Fish-Mouth-Opener/p/29683
Thanks! This store is a lot closer than bass pro, I will definitely check them out.

fishyfish
05-23-2016, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the advice Astrocyte, my dad gave me a couple pliers including a needle nose one and these really tiny scissors to use. Nail clippers are smart, you don't jab yourself if they're in your pocket haha.

Sorry I don't know how to edit the post to quote you, I replied wrong!

fishyfish
05-23-2016, 10:21 PM
Fly fishing, bait fishing, spin fishing :) im always happy to go fishing.. and im a girl close to calgary.

Well we should go fishing :)

WhitefishLady
05-24-2016, 04:21 PM
Me! I love fishing and in Calgary. PM me if you want.

Tofinoguy
05-24-2016, 10:09 PM
My wife likes fishing too. Here she is with her 42 lb Ling Cod

Tofinoguy
05-24-2016, 10:16 PM
Her with some nice Salmon

fishyfish
05-24-2016, 10:38 PM
Her with some nice Salmon

Oh wow, those fish are huge! That's actually so cool :)

lovefishin
05-28-2016, 10:55 PM
I am a female who LOVES fishing, by far my passion of life. I have a canoe and a boat. Of course I cant back my boat trailer up thought (Evidence of me being "that" girl) but I am a great fisher and would love to make some female fishing friends. I spin cast mostly but I have tried my hand with my fly rod. I also ice fish :) Give me a shout if ya wanna meet up.

Robmcleod82
05-30-2016, 06:20 AM
My daughter loves to fish. She may have a little trouble keeping up though ��
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u582/robmcleod82/C6954678-574F-44B4-9C43-46B3A93908E9_zps0hnmv494.jpg (http://s1323.photobucket.com/user/robmcleod82/media/C6954678-574F-44B4-9C43-46B3A93908E9_zps0hnmv494.jpg.html)

Kamookis are one of her go to lures, she was angling for a sponsorship at the sportsman show.

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u582/robmcleod82/369F74E9-6D49-4D76-9067-03C362E6E819_zpstcljt7g3.jpg (http://s1323.photobucket.com/user/robmcleod82/media/369F74E9-6D49-4D76-9067-03C362E6E819_zpstcljt7g3.jpg.html)

WayneChristie
05-30-2016, 09:54 AM
whitefishlady is cool, shes a friend of mine and knows how to catch fish, (usually) ;) Id take her up on her offer. if you ever feel like fishing for some real fish ;) and dont mind a couple hour drive let me know

fishyfish
05-30-2016, 10:42 AM
My daughter loves to fish. She may have a little trouble keeping up though ��
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u582/robmcleod82/C6954678-574F-44B4-9C43-46B3A93908E9_zps0hnmv494.jpg (http://s1323.photobucket.com/user/robmcleod82/media/C6954678-574F-44B4-9C43-46B3A93908E9_zps0hnmv494.jpg.html)

Kamookis are one of her go to lures, she was angling for a sponsorship at the sportsman show.

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u582/robmcleod82/369F74E9-6D49-4D76-9067-03C362E6E819_zpstcljt7g3.jpg (http://s1323.photobucket.com/user/robmcleod82/media/369F74E9-6D49-4D76-9067-03C362E6E819_zpstcljt7g3.jpg.html)

That is so adorable, I wish I had started fishing when I was that young!

fishyfish
05-30-2016, 10:43 AM
whitefishlady is cool, shes a friend of mine and knows how to catch fish, (usually) ;) Id take her up on her offer. if you ever feel like fishing for some real fish ;) and dont mind a couple hour drive let me know

Haha, don't worry I am taking her up on her offer, I sent her a private message immediately after she posted on here :)

Lux604
07-15-2016, 08:52 AM
I am just learning, but I am in Edmonton! I shore fish since I don't know anyone with a boat, but it would be nice to meet new people so I am not always going alone!! ha ha!

fishyfish
07-15-2016, 09:56 AM
I am just learning, but I am in Edmonton! I shore fish since I don't know anyone with a boat, but it would be nice to meet new people so I am not always going alone!! ha ha!

I'm originally from Edmonton and I go back usually once a month, I'll shoot you a message next time I'm in town and maybe we can go fishing :)

Lux604
07-15-2016, 10:32 AM
for sure! that would be awesome!

SamSteele
07-15-2016, 09:57 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160716/2a3c8740a30775a3ba34bcd83733473e.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160716/88d55c98bb6e3ce18385b5e43dc02931.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160716/d1a928fc3f45a0f78b787ddd14eb309e.jpg

She may not be old enough to go alone yet, but my 10 year old seems to know how to get it done. These are all fish she has caught in the last year on her own.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishyfish
07-15-2016, 10:21 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160716/2a3c8740a30775a3ba34bcd83733473e.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160716/88d55c98bb6e3ce18385b5e43dc02931.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160716/d1a928fc3f45a0f78b787ddd14eb309e.jpg

She may not be old enough to go alone yet, but my 10 year old seems to know how to get it done. These are all fish she has caught in the last year on her own.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh wow, that's amazing, I'm super jealous she's learning at a young age, I'm only starting at the age of 26 haha. Those fish are as big as her, congrats to her :)

Nikanit
07-17-2016, 03:41 PM
I'm a 52 year young female that has fished all her life. I live in Red Deer but I'm hard to pin down because when the hubbie is home we're gone fishing ;). DO you have a boatsmart licence?

Bemoredog
07-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Slightly off topic (sorry!), but is the blood coming from the gills a bad sign? I only ask because I've seen this a few times on Pike I've caught (and released) before and have always wondered.

It usually seems to be blood from the mouth in my experience.

Awesome fish by the way.

barbless
07-18-2016, 12:49 PM
Not married and have a boat. Lots of room in the 17ft. Everything to go with it. Love to fish but usually end up going alone. That's when reality gets left behind. Let me know. Have every Sat. Sun. and Mon. off. In Calgary

fishyfish
07-18-2016, 04:02 PM
I'm a 52 year young female that has fished all her life. I live in Red Deer but I'm hard to pin down because when the hubbie is home we're gone fishing ;). DO you have a boatsmart licence?

Haha nothing wrong with that! No, I don't have boatsmart license.

fishyfish
07-18-2016, 04:04 PM
Not married and have a boat. Lots of room in the 17ft. Everything to go with it. Love to fish but usually end up going alone. That's when reality gets left behind. Let me know. Have every Sat. Sun. and Mon. off. In Calgary

Sounds awesome! I'm busy this weekend but maybe the following? Message me when you're going out next if you can!

kippered
07-22-2016, 05:46 PM
Watch out for the perverts

Nikanit
07-23-2016, 10:36 AM
Watch out for the perverts

Word.