PDA

View Full Version : Best place in Edmonton to buy a travel cover

fishnfoo
05-20-2016, 08:03 PM
I have just bought a new(er) boat and am looking to get a travel cover made. I would appreciate any suggestions you would provide for suppliers. The boat is a G3 Guide V177t. I would also appreciate any opinions on snap vs tie-down covers.

Thanks

Brock1
05-20-2016, 08:41 PM
just had mine made at Wayne's Upholstery. see Maz he was awesome to deal with. very impressed

Big Bull
05-20-2016, 09:29 PM
just had mine made at Wayne's Upholstery. see Maz he was awesome to deal with. very impressed
I had my custom cover done there as well. Top notch work and service.

Mayhem
05-20-2016, 10:45 PM
My dad had one made by C&M Upholstery and they did a nice job, Also heard good things about Wayne's too.

I don't care for tie-down covers, they are a PIA to put on and rub against the paint. Go with snap fasteners down the sides but turn-button style across the front bow (unless it extends over the nose) and at the back transom splash well, where the fabric will be subjected to wind and have the most movement.

Big Bull
05-21-2016, 09:02 AM
My dad had one made by C&M Upholstery and they did a nice job, Also heard good things about Wayne's too.

I don't care for tie-down covers, they are a PIA to put on and rub against the paint. Go with snap fasteners down the sides but turn-button style across the front bow (unless it extends over the nose) and at the back transom splash well, where the fabric will be subjected to wind and have the most movement.

My cover is held on by a ratchet strap that is in a sleeve that goes around the entire outside edge of the cover. I just have to pull the cover over the gunwales, and then synch it tight. I didn't want to use snaps, and I wanted a cover that I could leave on the boat while i was using it. There are zippered cockpits where the seating is.

Mayhem
05-21-2016, 10:16 AM
My cover is held on by a ratchet strap that is in a sleeve that goes around the entire outside edge of the cover. I just have to pull the cover over the gunwales, and then synch it tight. I didn't want to use snaps, and I wanted a cover that I could leave on the boat while i was using it. There are zippered cockpits where the seating is.

Interesting, never seen one done like that. I was thinkin of the vertical tie downs. Any pics?

Big Bull
05-21-2016, 01:21 PM
Interesting, never seen one done like that. I was thinkin of the vertical tie downs. Any pics?

This is the only pic that I have at the moment.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o145/BigBullAdventures/622488_10152046067005430_1099994454_o.jpg (http://s119.photobucket.com/user/BigBullAdventures/media/622488_10152046067005430_1099994454_o.jpg.html)
The boat is upside down on the trailer right now as I have a hole to fix. I could get some better pics of it in next week when I get her right side up! Originally, I had bought the Dupont Top Gun fabric and snaps, but held off getting the cover made because I wasn't thrilled about screwing all those snaps to my wooden boat. Then I saw a friends cover with the ratchet straps, that was made by Wayne's Upholstery, and knew that was what I wanted. They had my boat for a couple of weeks, and it cost me about $1200 for materials and labour. Because of the cockpits and zippers, it was a bit of a design nightmare for the guy that made it, and that's why it cost as much as it did. The Top Gun material is pretty bomb proof. I've had the cover for around 10 years, and it's still going strong, and it really has helped preserved the boat while being stored.

pikergolf
05-21-2016, 05:58 PM
This is the only pic that I have at the moment.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o145/BigBullAdventures/622488_10152046067005430_1099994454_o.jpg (http://s119.photobucket.com/user/BigBullAdventures/media/622488_10152046067005430_1099994454_o.jpg.html)
The boat is upside down on the trailer right now as I have a hole to fix. I could get some better pics of it in next week when I get her right side up! Originally, I had bought the Dupont Top Gun fabric and snaps, but held off getting the cover made because I wasn't thrilled about screwing all those snaps to my wooden boat. Then I saw a friends cover with the ratchet straps, that was made by Wayne's Upholstery, and knew that was what I wanted. They had my boat for a couple of weeks, and it cost me about $1200 for materials and labour. Because of the cockpits and zippers, it was a bit of a design nightmare for the guy that made it, and that's why it cost as much as it did. The Top Gun material is pretty bomb proof. I've had the cover for around 10 years, and it's still going strong, and it really has helped preserved the boat while being stored.

What a beautiful boat! She looks fast.

Big Bull
05-21-2016, 06:52 PM
What a beautiful boat! She looks fast.

Most of the time I'm running a 24V Minn Kota on it, topping out at 7 kph!
With the 9.9HP it gets up to 24 kph. Since it is a canoe design, it doesn't get up on step like a normal hull design.

fishnfoo
05-23-2016, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I have a place to start. I don't store my boat outside but just need the cover for travel. I may opt for a less high tech cover. Anyone else have a good cover they use just for travel?

Thanks

anorthernhunter
05-24-2016, 09:22 AM
I used Nottingham Upholstry in Edmonton last year and they made me
a custom cover for my 18 foot boat. They did a lot of nice touches (vents,
reinforcements etc) that were well done. A mom and pop shop that I liked
to support:

Address: 5927 92 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6E 3A5

Phone:(780) 437-0933

Northern

anorthernhunter
05-24-2016, 09:22 AM
Don't know why a "sad face" emoticon showed up haha

Northern

EZM
05-24-2016, 09:49 AM
I've used Wayne's upholstery for covers, fixes to my canopy, making up new covers/canopies, replacing poles, etc.. and have been very happy with them.

roosterman
05-25-2016, 09:20 AM
I have used Wayne's for over 20 years. Always had good service. They use Top Gun material and it is superior to any other material I have seen. Never had a tear or snap issue and my boats are exposed on a hoist in all weather.

Double_A_Ron
05-25-2016, 10:24 AM
Paul from Allfab Tarpaulin in Edmonton has done both of my boat covers, custom fits them, can include trolling motors and other attachments.

Double_A_Ron
05-25-2016, 10:26 AM
Back view

nast70
05-25-2016, 04:11 PM
Also try Denham in Saskatoon. They build for most of the dealers around town. They did my travel cover. Very happy with it. The rest of my canvas came from C&M. Did a mooring cover and a stand-up camper style off the bimini. Gives us max versatility in all conditions.

fishnfoo
06-11-2016, 11:23 AM
Thanks for all the information!

Most over the custom places are charging about $1500. I keep my boat in the garage and only use the cover for travel. So I am looking for something a bit less expensive. Has anyone bought the model specific covers from the internet? If you have, was the experience a good one?

paulco
06-13-2016, 07:54 PM
I got a Taylor made online 8 years ago. It is out in the weather every day as I have my boat in a marina all summer. They have covers for every boat made. Half the price of city. 5 year warranty. It is only starting to show wear now. Good luck

fishnfoo
06-14-2016, 03:29 PM
Thanks Paulco. Taylor made does not make one for my model of boat. I was looking at Carver covers. Has anyone tried them?