PDA

View Full Version : BC fishing licence question

Vagab0nd
05-20-2016, 10:54 PM
Looking for a little help, as we couldn't get the answer in BC from any licence dealers or bait shops. All we managed to do was start a strange line of thought.

So here it is.

Under 16 in BC you don't need a licence to fish, my brother in Law wants to take his kind fishing. As he understands it in other provinces the adult can bait the hook assist with casting and help net but cannot reel In the fish or assist in this part of the act UNLESS he is in possession of a licence.

This is the rule in a number of provinces.

So the question is Can he in BC help the kids who are legal to fish, get a line in the water while not having a licence himself?

He's not an angler, so I get why he hasn't got the licence. His hope is after a little training the kids will be self sufficient and al he will do is spectate.

Any advice?

Salmon Slayer Lenny
05-20-2016, 11:05 PM
Are they BC residents? Since you are asking here, I'd assume the answer is no and if that is accurate, then someone needs a licence, I'd suggest dad get it then dad and the kids are covered. Eight day licence is $36, annual is $55. I'd say it's cheap insurance and completely answers your question. See the following:

If you are under 16 and a non-resident of B.C.:

-you do not require any licence or stamp to sport fish, but you must be accompanied by a person (resident or non-resident) who has the appropriate licences and stamps;
-any fish you keep must be counted as part of the catch and possession of your accompanying licence holder;
-if you want to catch and keep your own quota of fish, you may buy a licence and any necessary supplementary licences and stamps.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/licences/#Younger

Vagab0nd
05-20-2016, 11:23 PM
They are BC residents I'm Albertan. I did tell him to read the regs:) but anyhow thanks for the info. I also said get a licence and support the sport. But I get his point. He does spend plenty on other licence and sports.

Salmon Slayer Lenny
05-20-2016, 11:35 PM
They are BC residents I'm Albertan. I did tell him to read the regs:) but anyhow thanks for the info. I also said get a licence and support the sport. But I get his point. He does spend plenty on other licence and sports.

Gotcha! It is good about supporting the conservation aspect, I agree.

I'd figure if he's not actively engaged in fishing, would be ok but I'm no authority. I do know that conservation officers will often observe before confronting an individal(s).

idaman
05-21-2016, 03:31 PM
It clearly states in the regs they need to be accompanied by someone with the proper licence, so yes daddy needs to cough up some $$$